Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #85

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
<snipped> I think our Country has now been driven to a place where everyone thinks they are special, all the rules only apply to others, and if they don't like the rules they just do it anyway or complain so much that people just ignore the issue as it is easier. <snipped>
A THOUSAND Amens!
I didn't get past this post and had to agree with it. Having retired from law enforcement after 35+ years and now working in the court system, I see this more and more everyday. Plus, absolutely NO RESPECT for any form of authority. Heck, most don't even have any respect for themselves, or they wouldn't do what they do.

DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #86

Losing patience with stupidity, dishonesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
This thread was originally about stupid people and not wanting to tolerate it as much anymore. I maintain that every time you see something stupid or someone acting stupidly, and do not react and speak up, you are passively endorsing it. Speaking up will not be well received, but needs to be done anyway. You will be shoveling sand against the tide, but should do it anyway.
I stopped at a McDonald's for a beverage. The trail of dirt on the floor between the counter, beverage dispenser and restroom looked like the same one from several days ago. Curious to hear the answer, I asked the young manager girl about it. With a condescending look (she was a manager after all), she said "Can't you see how busy we are? We don't have time to clean".
And that is why we don't eat in these establishments.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know why people are so negative these days. I'm 62 and worked up until last year when I retired. I've worked crappy jobs and good jobs, met all types of people and I have to say overall it's been a great time. Maybe I've been lucky but I feel like I've had a good life and I am appreciative of it. I just don't understand why people of my generation are so damned angry. When and why did this happen? Is it dreams unfulfilled, or expectations set too high that were not met?
Maybe instead of complaining about all the "stupid people" and the "entitled" millennials, members of our generation should take a look around and appreciate what they have.
C'mon, we all have RVs here, how bad can it be??
Just my two cents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I don't know why people are so negative these days. I'm 62 and worked up until last year when I retired. I've worked crappy jobs and good jobs, met all types of people and I have to say overall it's been a great time. Maybe I've been lucky but I feel like I've had a good life and I am appreciative of it. I just don't understand why people of my generation are so damned angry. When and why did this happen? Is it dreams unfulfilled, or expectations set too high that were not met?

Maybe instead of complaining about all the "stupid people" and the "entitled" millennials, members of our generation should take a look around and appreciate what they have.

C'mon, we all have RVs here, how bad can it be??

Just my two cents.

Ignoring the problem doesn't make the problem go away....I think most people are upset because they want to try to make things better...if not for themselves, for the next generation.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
dix39,

Ah you kind of got that a bit mixed up. It's not the Teachers changing the grades to keep the parents happy but the ADMINISTRATORS changing the grades (without the Teachers permission) to keep the parents happy.

This is particularly nasty in districts where voting on school millage's by the parents can really effect the money available for Education. We experienced that in MI.

TeJay
Wow Tim, I guess I did. That would be terrible for the teachers. IMHO, however it was done it wouldn't send a good message to the students.

My wife was a middle school teacher at Eagle Point, OR and she said that there were no grades changed by administrators there, so at least it isn't done everywhere.

Millage is a new term for me. I looked it up and now have a foggy idea of how that would work.

Steve
Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
Steve, You are correct not all school districts work their funding through the voters. MI did and it was a mess.

So the district wanted some new buildings and Teacher raises. The funds were raised by asking the voters to approve an increase in the millage placed on their property value. That just made all their taxes go up so most of the time they said NO.

Meanwhile the factory wages for the big three, Ford, GM and Chrysler were based on how often the workers went out on strike. One item seldom spoken of was this. The blue collar workers were the bad guys who couldn't be reasoned with so they got their wage increases. The white collar workers never dirtied their shirts going out on strike but you knew they got wage hikes because their workers got them. So the workers did the dirty work but all benefited.

Those same folks wouldn't give Teachers wage increases but based on all the wage increases inflation was through the roof. In your travels if you ever cross paths with a retired GM white collar worker ask them about their retirement benefits. They were amazing. Full health, full dental, full eyeglasses, great retirement money and they retired after 25 years of service.

So out of HS, then college start at GM when you're 22 work till your about 50 and retire.

There was a time (early 60's) when the steel workers in the Gary, IN area were way over the top. I was a young guy still in HS but my Dad would talk about it. The WC collar guys were looking at 10 weeks paid vacation every year. It's been a long time and i didn't pay much attention but it was crazy and IMHO it was crazy wrong. They di however get away with some of it. Of course most of those steel mills were priced out of the market and we all know why.

Grade changes were almost never talked about even when I retired in 2006. My friends still hanging on are telling me it's different today. The Teacher has lost all credibility and most decision making within the class room. All their decisions are questioned. Kids can have their cell phones in class and most of them walk the halls with ear buds in listening to their music. The changing of student grades by the administration is just the next step in degrading the role of the teacher.

Studying Educational Psychology in College i remember this. The Teacher was considered as, "Inloco parentes." Latin for "In lieu of the Parents," That sure said a lot to me but it's not that way anymore.

A good friend is the agricultural instructor. He teaches welding and they build probably 8-12 utility trailers every year. Anybody can have one built: Teacher, administrator, or student. Just supply the $$$$ for the metal, axles wheels and it's done. They are well built and well supervised. He does a great job.

Keeping a group of 22 to 25 students working in a lab like that is not easy. They must be disciplined. They must listen. Some are building. Some are gas welding and some are ARC welding making specific joints until they are correct. If he catches a student standing around, goofing off or without his safety equipment on (safety violation) he has an 8' square in the middle of a clear area he calls it the, "Naughty Box." He just tells the kid to stand in the NB until the end of class.

He was told by the administration that he couldn't use his NB anymore. If he sends them to an administrator there is no punishment. They get talked to and that's it. How did we deal with it??? Simple!! Write them up for a safety violation and send out letters. Because of being afraid of an accident then they would usually do something.

We had a VERY, VERY successful Band in the HS. Both our kids went through it. The band director was a tyrant. She ruled with an iron fist. You can't produce quality music and marching without discipline. Well guess what?? If she sent a kid down with one violation of misconduct they were immediately tossed out. She could do it but we couldn't. She was "The Band" and we were the Shop.

TeJay
Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #91

So, to sum up this thread:
Kids make better adults if they have been effectively PARENTED!
My family, going back an untold number of generations, has not failed "the first responsibility".

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are absolutely correct with one minor adjustment. Sometimes the PARENTING is augmented, accomplished or completed by an Aunt, Uncle, Pastor, Teacher, Grand Parents, Older friend or a sibling.

I learned as much from my older Sister as i did from Mom and Dad. The Parents do have to lay the ground work. And they monitor and somewhat control the environment in which the children are raised. If they don't negative role models can and will effect the outcome.

I hate to refer to this because of who used it but it's true. Sometimes it takes a Village to raise a child.

TeJay
Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #93

Thanks.
Hence my mention of "family"

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #94

Ford Super Duty Owner
Point taken,

TeJay
Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just to be clear, are we talking about these kinds of idiots

I had to add the music track becasue of the "R" rate language that came out of my mouth

By the way, this is a $50 Dash cam

Dan
Attached Files

Tags
dish