Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Losing patience with stupidity, dishonesty

I'm 61 and had a good life. When I worked, it was with professional people and not too many bad apples.
I've been retired for awhile and I really, can not stomach people who are stupid and dishonest. I treat people with respect and am trusting to a point.

But, I've been coming across more people who are stupid and or dishonest. It does get me upset. I don't like it but, I'm thinking that I will have to assume people are stupid and dishonest and like defensive driving. I'm going have to look out for what can go wrong and be aware so it doesn't happen.

I really feel like I want to get a body camera with audio recording and record all interactions with people so I can point out when they lie.

Now this could all be because that I'm now dealing with more people in service industries and don't make too much money.

Also, as I age I'm becoming a bit more fearful of crime and such.

Maybe this is all part of the aging process.

How do you deal with it? Any advise would be appreciated.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I might need to disable the microphone on my Dash camera.
The commentary gets pretty colorful, and might not be good if I ever needed to go to court.

I can't say much about dishonest people because I tend to do everything myself. However, last year my son took his car to a auto garage for a bad front wheel bearing. The guy said his brakes were bad and needed a new air cleaner. I knew the wheel bearing was bad, but bought all the other stuff for the Job and had my son bring his car over. When I got to the brakes and air filter, they in fact were fine, less than 1/2 of the pads were used and the filter was clean from the last time I replaced it. So that is indeed dishonest.

My pet peeve is when people are plain inconsiderate. Leaving shopping carts in parking spaces, Taking forever to leave the gas pump when your waiting behind them.....oh yes...and buying cars without turn signals....

Thanks for Posting, I feel better already.

I guess all we can do is come back to this thread and vent regularly

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

You sound like me, when I come home from running an errand or taking care of something I complain to my wife, how people drive, or how rude and disrespectful they can be, or how they try and take advantage of every loophole, or opportunity to take advantage of others that they can. She is the very happy go lucky type and usually only sees the good side of things, so most of the time she thinks I'm just getting old and grumpy. I keep telling her I can't make this stuff up if I tried.

It's always fun when she is with me and it happens, I just look at her, smile and put my hands up as if to say "I told you so". She is a good sport but gets mad when people try to take advantage of her or others and she will speak her mind. That is always fun to see.

I don't think it has anything to do with age(I'm just turning 60) as I retired from a high stress job, where I was in upper management and had to hold others accountable when they messed up. I think I was calmer then and just dealt with each issue rationally. I think our Country has now been driven to a place where everyone thinks they are special, all the rules only apply to others, and if they don't like the rules they just do it anyway or complain so much that people just ignore the issue as it is easier. There are still a lot of good people out there, you just need to surround yourself with them rather than those who believe that "entitlement" replaces hard work, honesty and ethics.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

I to have problems with stupid then I remember they can't help it they are stupid.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I to have problems with stupid then I remember they can't help it they are stupid.
HaHa, that's what my Wife says, they don't even realize they are being stupid. I still believe with a lot of them it's just an act so they can do whatever they want and take the easy way out.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I age, I have a lower tolerance for stupidity, laziness, ignorance and the lack of values in much of our society.

So sad that so many children don't seem to have the role models and positive experiences so many of us baby boomers had. I grew up around folks (family, friends of family, scout masters, teachers) who were hard working, good citizens. They expected their children to take responsibility for themselves, work hard and achieve something. All of my boy scout leaders were WWII vets who came home, worked hard, were responsible folks who supported their communities. Real patriots, real heroes. The lessons learned from growing up around those folks served us well.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

I could not agree more. My wife has some input. When we were younger we were busy with so many things that we did not notice.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

I do agree that 'stupid folks' are out there.

I also believe there is a big difference between 'ignorance' and 'stupidity'
Ignorance--------lack of information/knowledge/training. All which can be corrected
Stupid...............incapable of being taught

I do believe there are more incidences of 'Ignorance' due to many factors (parenting, education, leadership etc)

I have to disagree with your statement:
"Now this could all be because that I'm now dealing with more people in service industries and don't make too much money."

During my 30+ yrs working with high pressure boilers/turbines/generators I have encountered quite a few 'professionals' with engineering degrees that earned a very high salary that tried to hide their stupidity with arrogance.

College Degrees and earning ability do not prevent stupidity.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LMAO Love all these post and I am younger than you all !!! (not by much tho) My girlfriend and I are both hoping for a "stupid Virus" to infect the world. We have this conversation almost every time we go "down town" in the city. it is truly amazing to see the people out there driving and living like this. They are getting impossible to avoid.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #10

Just a couple things to keep in mind.
1. You can't fix stupid
2. Everybody has the right to be stupid, some just abuse it
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

Coming from an IT background, where out of the box thinking was the norm, as well as fairly well refined troubleshooting skills, I found people in possession of neither hung on to their jobs using smoke and mirrors, confounding logical thinking to the point people would just walk away rather than continue a conversation. Yes, I have issues with a complete lack of patience regarding those types....

Next comes the guy in a store (drug store, Home Depot, etc.) where I ask about a product or ask a "Do You Know" question that might test somebodies experience, or prove there is a complete lack of it. You ask a question about a particular product, they pick it up, and start reading the box/container to me. Am I the only one that finds this infuriating? It's like they have made the assumption that I'M the stupid one, because they have to read the box to me! I just don't handle that well at all!

Both issues keep life interesting I guess....
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #12

I'm going to be 46 this year so not quite as "seasoned" as you but I started assuming everyone was "stupid and dishonest" years ago. It explains about 75% of the people I run into while out in public.

That being said I've met some pretty good people out also but the stupid people have them out numbered by quite a bit.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
For a bunch of geezers ... all you guys complaining about how stupid the folks around you are ain't very smart! By this time ya'll should have learned that you don't have a say in what others think, say or do!!!!

Me ... when I run into somebody who fits the bill as stupid/ignorant/deceitful or any of the other traits being lamented in this thread - I smile and think to myself how lucky/thankful I am that I was able to spot 'em before they had a negative impact on MY life! But hey ... that's just me!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #14

The younger generation is of the entitled mentality and the rest of society is just plain stupid, inconsiderate and ignorant. I am glad you started this thread and I can not wait to show it to my wife who is a lot like Mike's wife. Just glad to know it is not just me.

Tags
dish