Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
i agree with you on the first part, but the RV community is a small slice of America, and hardly representative. This is a perfect example.

The OP indicated the he has to deal with service industry personnel. The people being maligned as "stupid," incompetent liars are people who work for the lowest wages in the country, at some of the most unhealthy places in the ou try. Neither clientele nor worker are PhDs. What he considers to be lies could be simple math miscalculations or his inability to understand the worker's accent. To post a thread about "stupidity" based upon such ambiguous criteria is mean and diminishing to someone who might want to consider admission to this club of people of which many enjoy PUBLIC retirements that rely upon "stupid" people who work at minimum wage so they can park for free at Walmart.

As far as the DVR, I would dismiss it as clutter and show my kids "The Jeffersons" on Netflix.

If I were an admin I would delete the the thread.
There is no reason to delete this thread. If the discussion doesn't suit you, why not move on to another?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #30

I think all you old geezers should sit in your site and yell at kids to get out or stay home and yell at kids that get on your lawn. I am 71 and have seen stupid all my life. It is there --live with it.

But overall, people are usually doing the best they can with what they have.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Life is hard it's harder when you're stupid
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
I think all you old geezers should sit in your site and yell at kids to get out or stay home and yell at kids that get on your lawn. I am 71 and have seen stupid all my life. It is there --live with it.

But overall, people are usually doing the best they can with what they have.

Love your post. Thought we might have lots in common till I read you've been stupid all your life. I on the other hand am very smart. In fact often others have told me I'm a real "know it all"! So I just, using your words, Live With It!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Stupid I can deal with, they don't know any better. It is those who are educated beyond the point of there intelligences I find aggravating.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #34
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradohd View Post
Just a couple things to keep in mind.
1. You can't fix stupid
2. Everybody has the right to be stupid, some just abuse it
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #35
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Sometimes I think to myself that there is a need for more chlorine in the gene pool
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #36

people who think they know everything really irritate those of us that actually do.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:53 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Losing patience with stupidity, dishonesty

The founding fathers of America knew of the hoards of stupid people ....that is why they designed a republic and not a democracy. The Electoral College can override stupid decisions by the masses if it becomes needed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elec...(United_States)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
All this stupid stuff has been around forever. These days IMHO it's amplified because of the entitlement society with a healthy dose of selfishness.

Just last week we sat through a HS semi-final soccer match for AR state finals. This is being hosted where I taught HS Auto Shop for 25 years.

There were 6-8 girls in front of us for 95% of the game. They didn't know anything that was going on in regards to the game. The entire time they were either on their phones, giggling over pics and video's, yes of boys, eating, eating and more eating. They were up and down constantly with no regard for anybody behind them trying to watch the game. This went on until they decided to just leave.

Yes they were kids but with no controls from any adults but also no self controls or manners of any sorts. That's a lack of parenting. As they go through life they want for absolutely nothing. All their wants and needs are answered with no skin in the game. If you have no skin in the game no responsibilities for anything, behavior, manners, etc are not part of it either.

When they head out on the roads that will carry over. When they head to their first job, which is supposed to be the training ground for future jobs, it will carry over. Since they had to work for very little they will appreciate nothing given to them. Since again they have nothing in the game it will reflect in their lack of quality in their driving, and in their future job.

Yes and many of us mat/will call it stupid. Perhaps not the best term to explain something that was taught to them by today's society.

I just learned recently that where i taught HS things have changed. Just a few years ago when a Teacher placed a grade in their grade book it was considered etched in stone. Yes it could be changed but only by the Teacher and there had to be a good reason. In my 35 years I was very careful but NEVER once did I change a final grade at anybodies request. What ever grade they earned it was what they earned.

In defense of that position I was very, very careful how I graded students. If they got a D or less it was usually based on their lack of trying and not on their lack of intelligence. I had many, many, many (remember the shop as a dumping ground) special ED students. If they tried they passed. Most of those students could learn a skill but only up to a point. They could go out and get a job just changing brakes or maybe mufflers. Probably never get a job diagnosing today's vehicles. They were working.

Today the administration CAN and DOES change teachers grades. WHY??? Because the administration does not want parents to be unhappy. We are teaching kids that anything and everything is handed to them. They don't have to work for anything even grades. At some point somebody is going to give them a job and they may not even have to work at that one either.

Most students enter College or the work force with few skills and even less knowledge about how to problem solve or how to work for something. Daily I presented problems to my students that often times I didn't even know the answers yet. That's a learning environment. My job was to provide places for them to solve those problems. I guided learners through a maze of issues with them searching. I was never just looking for final answers. It was a process of trial and error. If you never fail you never learn but you have to be given an opportunity to try, fail and eventually solve and learn.

The academic teachers generally are only interested in results when in fact it should be the process. When a teacher of 30 years comes to my shop and says, "Do you have a Torque wrench?" "I've been teaching Torque concepts for 30 years in Physics and I have never even seen a torque wrench."

That my friends IMHO says it ALL. If you can't even show how torque concepts are used in the real world how do you expect kids to learn and apply??

TeJay
Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #39

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. Mark Twain

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I'm 61 and had a good life. When I worked, it was with professional people and not too many bad apples.
I've been retired for awhile and I really, can not stomach people who are stupid and dishonest. I treat people with respect and am trusting to a point.

But, I've been coming across more people who are stupid and or dishonest. It does get me upset. I don't like it but, I'm thinking that I will have to assume people are stupid and dishonest and like defensive driving. I'm going have to look out for what can go wrong and be aware so it doesn't happen.

I really feel like I want to get a body camera with audio recording and record all interactions with people so I can point out when they lie.

Now this could all be because that I'm now dealing with more people in service industries and don't make too much money.

Also, as I age I'm becoming a bit more fearful of crime and such.

Maybe this is all part of the aging process.

How do you deal with it? Any advise would be appreciated.
IMHO - the problem usually is that "we" tend to "assume" too much. I have learned over the years that most of the time other people appear to be "stupid" is because I failed "to communicate" what I wanted.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

So I've found that I write things down - make lists - and draw pictures - highlight - if I have things that others might not understand.

Generally if the Mission is understood then "we" can get there.

I've generally found that this generation is working harder, and honestly doing it better than many of us did before them. The problem is when someone does it wrong we all hear about it in a minute or two after it happens, so moral communicate better and the results might surprise you.

BOL,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
All this stupid stuff has been around forever. These days IMHO it's amplified because of the entitlement society with a healthy dose of selfishness.

Just last week we sat through a HS semi-final soccer match for AR state finals. This is being hosted where I taught HS Auto Shop for 25 years.

There were 6-8 girls in front of us for 95% of the game. They didn't know anything that was going on in regards to the game. The entire time they were either on their phones, giggling over pics and video's, yes of boys, eating, eating and more eating. They were up and down constantly with no regard for anybody behind them trying to watch the game. This went on until they decided to just leave.

Yes they were kids but with no controls from any adults but also no self controls or manners of any sorts. That's a lack of parenting. As they go through life they want for absolutely nothing. All their wants and needs are answered with no skin in the game. If you have no skin in the game no responsibilities for anything, behavior, manners, etc are not part of it either.

When they head out on the roads that will carry over. When they head to their first job, which is supposed to be the training ground for future jobs, it will carry over. Since they had to work for very little they will appreciate nothing given to them. Since again they have nothing in the game it will reflect in their lack of quality in their driving, and in their future job.

Yes and many of us mat/will call it stupid. Perhaps not the best term to explain something that was taught to them by today's society.

I just learned recently that where i taught HS things have changed. Just a few years ago when a Teacher placed a grade in their grade book it was considered etched in stone. Yes it could be changed but only by the Teacher and there had to be a good reason. In my 35 years I was very careful but NEVER once did I change a final grade at anybodies request. What ever grade they earned it was what they earned.

In defense of that position I was very, very careful how I graded students. If they got a D or less it was usually based on their lack of trying and not on their lack of intelligence. I had many, many, many (remember the shop as a dumping ground) special ED students. If they tried they passed. Most of those students could learn a skill but only up to a point. They could go out and get a job just changing brakes or maybe mufflers. Probably never get a job diagnosing today's vehicles. They were working.

Today the administration CAN and DOES change teachers grades. WHY??? Because the administration does not want parents to be unhappy. We are teaching kids that anything and everything is handed to them. They don't have to work for anything even grades. At some point somebody is going to give them a job and they may not even have to work at that one either.

Most students enter College or the work force with few skills and even less knowledge about how to problem solve or how to work for something. Daily I presented problems to my students that often times I didn't even know the answers yet. That's a learning environment. My job was to provide places for them to solve those problems. I guided learners through a maze of issues with them searching. I was never just looking for final answers. It was a process of trial and error. If you never fail you never learn but you have to be given an opportunity to try, fail and eventually solve and learn.

The academic teachers generally are only interested in results when in fact it should be the process. When a teacher of 30 years comes to my shop and says, "Do you have a Torque wrench?" "I've been teaching Torque concepts for 30 years in Physics and I have never even seen a torque wrench."

That my friends IMHO says it ALL. If you can't even show how torque concepts are used in the real world how do you expect kids to learn and apply??

TeJay

I agree TeJay.
My wife is a CTE teacher (Microsoft Products and computer basics) and is very concerned about the next generation growing up. And yes the ADMINISTRATORS have changed her students grades in the past to avoid the unhappy parents. SAD!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well said, TeJay
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish