Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I may be wrong but when you compare the taxes you pay in Okla I think you will find that we pay less than most states in total taxes. Check it out and go from there.

The government gets their money, one way or another. Check it out!

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #16

I have no idea how you read anything into the Tax Foundation report? I suppose you could say almost anything when you simply lump everyone making over $68,000 into one group. Making $68,000 per year does not make you wealthy. Nor does it put you anywhere close to the top 1% who get the majority of the tax cuts.

If you were truly benefiting from the Bush tax breaks why are you complaining about all the taxes you are paying?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #17

If you were truly benefiting from the Bush tax breaks why are you complaining about all the taxes you are paying?[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vegascpl:

This statement doesn't make much sense as my post was directed to your inaccurate mantra taken from the liberal complaint playbook, i.e "the wealthiest get all the tax cuts"
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:02 AM   #18

How long Americans work to pay taxes in Days compared to other major spending categories for 2007

Highest amount of days? 79 days for Federal Taxes!

Oh no we don't need any tax cuts../sarcasm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim S.:
I move to OK 2 years ago and have been amazed by the taxes and fees. 8.5% sales tax even on food, high property taxes, 6% state income tax, $90 for tags for my 5 year old car, and they have boat owners, it cost me $145/year for an old 20ft boat. I you let your tag expire during the winter on your rv they fine you in addition to the cost of a plate. STUPID </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a comparison with other states. The Tax Foundation is "suppose" to be unbiased.

Looks like there are only 5 other states cheaper on taxes than OK.[/QUOTE
Old 05-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by apackof2:
This statement doesn't make much sense as my post was directed to your inaccurate mantra taken from the liberal complaint playbook, i.e "the wealthiest get all the tax cuts" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You missed the first pagagraph. Having just one group that lumps 86% of all tax payers, anyone making over $68,000, is totally meaningless. Especially when the majority of the tax breaks go to people making over $1.5 million. If you broke down that broad category it would show an entirely different picture.

I think the problem is that we blindly to support one party or dogma and completely forget what it means to us personally.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the Tax Foundation data summary. It clearly shows that the top 5% of wage earners pay &gt;50% of the taxes.

Or go to http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/341.html for more info.
Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And some slightly different numbers provided by the IRS.

Think of it this way: less than 3-1/2 dollars out of every $100 paid in income taxes in the United States is paid by someone in the bottom 50% of wage earners. Are the top half millionaires? Noooo, more like "thousandaires." The top 50% were those individuals or couples filing jointly who earned $29,019 and up in 2003. (The top 1% earned $295,495-plus.) Americans who want to are continuing to improve their lives, and those who don't want to, aren't. Here are the wage earners in each category and the percentages they pay:
The top 1% pay over a third, 34.27% of all income taxes. (Up from 2003: 33.71%) The top 5% pay 54.36% of all income taxes (Up from 2002: 53.80%). The top 10% pay 65.84% (Up from 2002: 65.73%). The top 25% pay 83.88% (Down from 2002: 83.90%). The top 50% pay 96.54% (Up from 2002: 96.50%). The bottom 50%? They pay a paltry 3.46% of all income taxes (Down from 2002: 3.50%). The top 1% is paying nearly ten times the federal income taxes than the bottom 50%! And who earns what? The top 1% earns 16.77% of all income (2002: 16.12%). The top 5% earns 31.18% of all the income (2002: 30.55%). The top 10% earns 42.36% of all the income (2002: 41.77%); the top 25% earns 64.86% of all the income (2002: 64.37%) , and the top 50% earns 86.01% (2002: 85.77%) of all the income.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #22

The problem is government at all levels is totally out of control. They have no concept of living within a budget. Simply raise taxes and spend more. Wouldn't it be great if every time we wanted something we could just tell our employer they have to pay us more. No choice just dig deeper. Yea right be fired in a heartbeat.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #23

New Horizons Owners Club
Interesting discussion going here. There has been a mix of federal and state facts but I would like to draw attention to the federal side.

There is a significant movement underway called the FairTax Act. It was introduced under the official name The FairTax Act 2005. It is known as H.R. 25 in the house of Representative and S.25 in the Senate.

This is NOT a flat tax. It abolishes completely all federal income tax, social security, medicare, capital gains taxes, dividend taxes, estate taxes, gift taxes, any form of income related tax.

But the government has to continue to operate so the FairTax Act is designed to be revenue neutral. This is acomplished by implementing a federal sales tax. And to keep it fair and simple everything you and I purchase at the retail level will have a 23% tax added to it. And I do mean everything. There are no exemptions, no special interests, your grocer, your doctor, any goods or service is taxed the same.

Under the FairTax there can be no lobyist, no special interest, the politicians can no longer use the tax system as punishment/reward system. The tax is fairly applied to any human being in the country making a purchase of a new item (garage sales, used cars, etc. are composed of things that have already had taxes collected,,,they do not get taxed again on resale).

Now, before you roll your eyes and say "yeah, right", read on:

Just think about it. Everything you buy today has built in hidden taxes. Who do you think pays all those taxes that the corporations pay? Why you and I, the consumer does. They build in the cost of their taxes into everything they make. Some of the nations leading economists and several think tanks have estimated that anything we buy has 22 to 25% hidden taxes built in.

This means that the poor, even though they may not send a check to the governemnt on April 15th, are still paying the hidden, embedded taxes. The FairTax is designed so that anyone that meets the definition of poor pays absolutely nothing, nada, zip. Neither the poor or any other family in the country pay any taxes on the basic necessities of life. We all, every family in the country, get a prebate equal to the taxes we would pay on the basic necessities. A family of four would get a check at the first of every month for $491.

Just imagine, April 15th would be just another spring day.

The discussion about all the aspects of the FairTax is huge. I recommend the FairTax Book co-authored by Georgia Congressman John Linder and radio talk show host Neal Boortz.

Just another tid-bit. Don't waste your time using the tired old mantra "They will never let it happen." "They" is "Us"! The politicians can and do respond to pressure. 4 months ago this bill had 4 co-sponsors in the house. As of last week there were 60, and the number is growing steadily.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
JPerry29 you are absolutely right. I believe the fair tax would be one of the greatest things to ever happen to this country. It can happen, but make no mistake, the tax lawyers, accountants, and the IRS will not go down without a fight.....a big one.

Liberals do not realize that businesses pay no taxes. Yes, they fill out tax forms and send money to the Government, but as stated elsewhere in this forum, taxes are built in all products sold and are actually paid by consumers. Tax business, increase cost to consumers. That simple. You'd think someone smart enough to be in Congress and run for president (the supposedly smartest woman in the world, maybe) would realize this, wouldn't you?

The Fair Tax does not address the ever growing state and local taxes. Something must be done about those, too.

Here in Virginia, state and local taxes are terrible. If I owned a new LADB here and registered it in the county I reside, the personal property taxes would be around $40,000 PER YEAR! I couldn't afford it if someone gave one to me! That's why you don't see many expensive motorhomes running around with Virginia license tags on them. People find other addresses to register them to, whether they register them in another state where they own a second home, or where a relative lives, or something else. However, if I owned an airplane in my county of equal value as the LADB, the taxes would only be about $4,000 per year.....10% of what a motorhome is. You can easily assume someone on the Board of Supervisors owns an airplane, but none own a motorhome or boat. I think this is borderline criminal. It seems very few people in this county either know about the tax discrepency, or they don't care. Haven't figured it out.

I must add though, that personal property taxes vary from county to county. For instance, Prince William County has no personal property taxes on RVs or boats. The problem for me is that county is too far away from where I need to be at the moment.

For those who don't know, the gap between the rich and the poor grew at a greater rate in the Clinton 8 years than in any other period in modern US history.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, if they would add healthcare into that then we would have a winner!!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Vette, if you think health care is expensive now, wait until it is 'free'!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
Hey Vette, if you think health care is expensive now, wait until it is 'free'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one hamguy. Thats when they put out the sign at the hospital "Emergencies by Appointment Only"
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #28

No kidding...its worked so well for the Canadians! (/sarcasm)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
Hey Vette, if you think health care is expensive now, wait until it is 'free'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one hamguy. Thats when they put out the sign at the hospital "Emergencies by Appointment Only" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>