Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #15

I found just the opposite with Flying J. The last one we stopped at in Albuquerque had the lanes off to one side of the car pumps but I had no issues pulling out. The parking spaces for RV's was a little tricky though. Especially since people in cars decided it was a good place to park.

The last Love's I stopped at only sold gas at the car pumps. I usually pull in at an angle taking my half of the road from the middle Makes it much easier to navigate out from the pumps. I've never stopped at one that was so busy that cars could not get around me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #16

When I had my 5er and towed with my Dodge diesel, I found that they had to few of diesel pumps.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flying J is good for Diesels --this is true , however the topic here is how I feel that Flying J is less than accommodating for Gas engine motorhomes, mostly based on how they have the pumps set up. On the topic of gas I avoid Flying J because of the difficulty in maneuvering. Very tight at times. when you pull up to a pump and your coach's front end is maybe a car length from the store ... add extra cars driven by clueless people, then it becomes more aggravation than it's worth. Plus the inability to back up with the toad.

Of course it's a bit more difficult for me, personally, with this coach as it has the gas fill located on the back cap near the license plate, so I have to get within about 2 feet maximum, from the pump at many of the stations , to enable the hose to reach. What ever happened to that retractable cord and the long hoses.... My last coaches had the fill on the side and it wasn't as bad.

There have been a couple of Flying J's I have been in that were ok, one in Florence SC and the one in Cheyenne Wy come to mind. They had nice clear pull through RV lanes. That one in Cheyenne is where I went to the RV lane and filled with the card and later drove over with the toad and filled up on the car lane and the cost was the same.....

I will go to the station that is easiest for me to get in and out of regardless of cost also.. it's usually only a few cents and worth the extra for less stess
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Over all I just don't worry about shopping fuel prices. Now if there were 2 stations at the same exit and one was $0.10 cheaper I would pick them obviously. But normally I only see a nickel or so difference at a given exit. At that point I go for the station with the easiest in and out.
Make me a X2 on this. Convenience is always trump. I am normally not a big FJ fan, but there is a new Pilot/FJ in Haines City, FL that has a smaller but very convenient rv area (diesel and gas). The entrance to the pumps is straight in and the exit is easy. We normally use the truck pumps when we fuel but for this one we use the rv pumps just for the convenience.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #19

The one at 67th Ave and I-10 in Phx is about 2 1/2 car lengths from the store. They also have RV lanes, but I don't know if they are diesel only or both. My fill is also on the rear cap and I had to get out to see if I was close enough to the pump or had to move forward or back. This was also towing 20' enclosed. It's convenient for me, but I wish they would make it so the road going west went through to 75th Ave. As it is now, you have to wait for the trucks to get out of the station, then the north/south traffic getting back on 67th Ave.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMHO there are good and bad in every chain. At the FJ @Exit 19 on I20 in GA they now have propane pumps on all the TV islands along with dump and fresh water points. I have even noticed at a couple of stops they had satellite pumps so that you can trip from either side at each island. We don't have as many miles under our RVing belts as some of you, but for us the Loves we have used were the more inconvenient.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It may just be the Loves toward the west off of 80 or 90 that I had good luck with.
Most of the time I use other gas stations other than truck stops. Truck stops I use only if I really need ( under a quarter of a tank ) to pull off and get gas.

My favorite Places are areas like New Jersey and Ohio or other states with the easy access stations/rest areas. Off , get gas, on the road again.. no lights no stop signs, pull thru, no trouble
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #22

I like to use the following link to plan my fuel purchases if possible.

Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder

You may need to copy it into the browser to load it. I can route my trip and then click on the stations so I can get a look at what I will be entering to see if it is really feasible.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #23

Thx for the link. Boodmarkd'd
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
Flying J is good for Diesels --this is true , however the topic here is how I feel that Flying J is less than accommodating for Gas engine motorhomes, mostly based on how they have the pumps set up. On the topic of gas I avoid Flying J because of the difficulty in maneuvering. Very tight at times. when you pull up to a pump and your coach's front end is maybe a car length from the store ... add extra cars driven by clueless people, then it becomes more aggravation than it's worth. Plus the inability to back up with the toad.

Of course it's a bit more difficult for me, personally, with this coach as it has the gas fill located on the back cap near the license plate, so I have to get within about 2 feet maximum, from the pump at many of the stations , to enable the hose to reach. What ever happened to that retractable cord and the long hoses.... My last coaches had the fill on the side and it wasn't as bad.

There have been a couple of Flying J's I have been in that were ok, one in Florence SC and the one in Cheyenne Wy come to mind. They had nice clear pull through RV lanes. That one in Cheyenne is where I went to the RV lane and filled with the card and later drove over with the toad and filled up on the car lane and the cost was the same.....

I will go to the station that is easiest for me to get in and out of regardless of cost also.. it's usually only a few cents and worth the extra for less stess
I visited the Flying J today in Winchester, VA to use the CAT scales. Saw first hand the layout where the pull-thru for gas pumps made it difficult for longer MH and TT.

Nice facility though (Winchester). Clean and efficient.
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
When going out west I figured I'd give Flying J another chance. I sampled a bunch and got disgusted with them all over again. If I really needed gas en route I would look for a Loves. Loves has more room to maneuver than 99 percent of the Flying J's for a gas rig.
If I had a diesel then this would be a different story. Lots of room to pull through for a diesel at any of the truck stops no matter what brand name is on them.
The gas pumps in Flying J are either perpendicular to the convenience store or at an angle. Makes it hard to swing if you have to get close to the pumps. One even had HUGE black trash containers after the concrete/metal posts shortening and already too short distance by another 4 feet past the post. I had inches clearance between the trash on one side and the curb in front of the station as I pulled out. This was after waiting 10 minutes for the cars to clear at that place so I could pull out.
Flying J ... I ended up at several that had gas stations that didn't honor the discount. The discount I supposedly got on some was the price posted on the pump. Some were run by a different outfit. Example was I believe a ranger gas station in the Flying J. The girl there gave me a card for their gas to get a discount ,probably saw my expression when she said they don't honor the flying j card and felt sorry for me lol . Some told me the discount was already reflected on the price that was on the pump. The car lanes had the same price as the RV lane. I even went back to a flying J with the car to test this. Same price without the card as with.
Over all I had more headaches dealing with flying J than any other gas station I have ever gone to.
I ended up doing what I have done before for all these years after going through the same headache....e I get gas when I pull off an exit for a campground. The non-truck stop stations alot of times are much easier to pull in and out of, especially if the pumps are parallel to the road.
Be careful, CT.
There are those that love JF and don't like it when someone speaks against them. You might get warnings pretty soon on being negative.
GWinger
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdmoore View Post
I ran my own trucking company for many years and found that the best prices will always be found at the Mom & Pop outfits. I directed my guys to try and buy from them whenever possible. The large chain Truck stops make their money in the store...not at the pump.
But the large chains may have a couple of million dollars invested in several acres of concrete parking lot, which they have to amortize somehow. If you don't care where your drivers have to park to sleep, then your route is a great one. That is how "ticks" like Flying J, Pilot, and Loves got their start, sucking the life blood from Petro and TA and other large stops.

For an RV, I agree completely with you; and those little operations often have the best restaurants (such as Romines and their "R Place" truck stop and restaurant in Illinois, I-80 exit 112.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #27

Let CT go to Love's, it leaves more room at FJ.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I have 3 apps on my Android cell phone, all 3 are free, that I check for gas and / or diesel prices:
GasBuddy - better for gas than diesel usually since the people that do the updating usually drive cars
My DAT Trucker Services - Not only has truck stops with fuel prices listed but also has rest areas and walmarts listed
Love's - of course only Love's truck stops but they do have the prices for fuel

Tags
gas