Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of you obviously haven't worked retail. It's pretty much universal that stores have strict policies that only security personnel can try to chase or apprehend suspected thieves and even they are severely limited in how far they can go. The reason for that is, too often, employees get hurt or killed trying to stop thieves, sometimes also causing customers to get hurt or killed. These policies are made very clear upfront when people are hired. Besides not wanting their employees to get hurt, they don't want to get saddled with the liability (whether the latter takes precedence or not is another argument).

I worked third shift for 5 1/2 years in a convenience store after I first retired to supplement my pension until social Security could kick in and I know first hand it was extremely galling to not be able to directly interfere with a thief. I wasn't completely powerless, however. I always was on the phone to the police (I bypassed 911 and dialed the police directly; it was much faster) before the thief was out the door. Often, I was able to stop a theft simply by making sure s/he knew I was watching them or let them see me talking on the phone to the police (the police actually loved that; it saved them some trouble). I quickly learned to tell if someone was going to steal anything just by their body language when they came in the store and often was on the phone as soon as they walked in. If it didn't stop them, it gave the police a head start (I had a good relationship with Tempe Police). I once helped the police catch a beer runner when I was pulling into work. I noticed a vehicle was pulled up to the pumps pointed the wrong way with fuel filler cap away from the pumps. I parked and got out of my vehicle and got the license plate number as I walked into the store (we were allowed to go outside when a theft was happening) and was talking to the cops before the *&^%$#@! came out the door with a couple of 30 pks.

I also put my customer's safety first and would advise them to not interfere with a theft. By working within the limitations I had, I still was able to enable the police to catch more thieves than any other shift at any other store. There were fewer theft attempts on my store during my shift because the word was out I didn't mess around (being part Irish and total b**ch didn't hurt, either).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #16

This woman did the right thing. It's morally wrong to steal and she had morals. I would have done the same thing. Too many people in this country have a "don't get involved" mentality and it's already leading to the decline of a once great nation.

Mike
Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Unfortunately, some companies are looking for reasons to fire employees that have been with the company for a number of years. Sometimes it eliminates a higher cost employee, sometimes it eliminates an employee that might be getting close to a pension, and sometimes they simply want to lower the age or tenure of their workforce. If Lowes is one of those companies, that's downright wrong. Unfortunately it is a fact of life for workers entering their fifties...especially when they are being pushed, through advertisements and inducements to work past initial SS retirement age.
Yes, that is what I see happening at my place of employment....Fellow employees are gun-shy to stray from anything that can be taken out of context / misinterpreted. The company preaches "Teamwork" but I see just the opposite. No one trusts anyone. Since the recession started I have seen so many 10-30 year fellow employees walked out for things in the past that just resulted in a reprimand or a warning. I have about 550 work days left and will be minding my P's & Q's.

I really feel for her....I would have in the past done the same, but have second thoughts now.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I know there are rules and policies the Company requires to keep its employees safe, however; this incident could have been much easier handled with a reprimand or a warning. Termination was the result of some dim-witted manager that had his/her head up their own xxs so far they couldn't see the light of day.....

So sad, especially with and 18 year veteran of the company. I'd bet if this hit the national news Lowe's would be in quite a hot seat.

I wish I had a link to complain to Lowe's. That's not the type of employment practice I'd like to see from a business I frequent....
X2 Kent If you find that Lowes link let me know.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Mike View Post
This woman did the right thing. It's morally wrong to steal and she had morals. I would have done the same thing. Too many people in this country have a "don't get involved" mentality and it's already leading to the decline of a once great nation.

Mike
Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Unfortunately, some companies are looking for reasons to fire employees that have been with the company for a number of years. Sometimes it eliminates a higher cost employee, sometimes it eliminates an employee that might be getting close to a pension, and sometimes they simply want to lower the age or tenure of their workforce. If Lowes is one of those companies, that's downright wrong. Unfortunately it is a fact of life for workers entering their fifties...especially when they are being pushed, through advertisements and inducements to work past initial SS retirement age.
You are exactly right. It happened to me with 25 years with Cummins Engine. They tapped me on the shoulder one day and said thank you but we don't need your services anymore. 55 salaried employees got it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is a RV forum. You all need to go camping.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
laj

great point. has nothing to do with rving.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
That' why this topic is in the Just Conversation category.

Sorry but this country has changed so significantly wrt the use of violence and guns when there is any conflict no matter how insignificant the situation happen to be.

Hell, it's gotten so scary that you don't know if you'll be caught in the middle of someones problem & situation and you were just passing by minding your own business on your way to nowhere.

Always be totally aware of your surroundings and be ready to act accordingly. It may save your life.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a forum for friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-RV" related subjects.
Note: Discussions about politics and religion are not allowed at iRV2.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two over reactions do not make a right. She did they did, it's a tie. Make her write I will not chase shoplifters a thousand time on the blackboard then get back to work.

Firing is so unimaginative.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #26

Carolina Campers
Lowe's was were I purchased things, even for my RV. Home Depot is where I'll take my business for my RV or my home going forward.

Ok, that does not talk about their policies as was indicated by the moderator.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuh53 View Post
I worked at lowes for2 yrs and watched people stealing all the time something they seem to let it happen. Each store has $50,000 write down for losses.
Home Depot must have a different philosophy. We were in one one night and woman went to go out the door, the alarm sounded and one clerk and one security person took off after her. She got around the end of the store and jumped into a waiting car. Got away, never did find out if they got a license number though.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Sent my feelings on the matter to customercare@lowes.com , e-mail return indicated it would be forwarded to appropriate management personnel and of course thanks for my input.
--------

Ted-- Mod said ... politics.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Ok, that does not talk about their policies as was indicated by the moderator.
Closed Thread