Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #155

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hey can I take a dinner break here?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #156

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
it looks like your only friend is the truck driver
Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #157

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! Huff and Puff, you need to take a defensive driving course. And while you are at it, attend the courteous driver course. You were very clearly in the wrong here.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #158

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Mad Truck Driver, What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
Sorry I missed this question. LOL Trucker languages, wow is there a book for that. I said I didn't understand why he did that or why he was in the lane he was in passing. Maybe I need that book. I didn't slow down because it look like he was passing me fine. I also didn't speed up to try to prevent him from passing. It was all in his hands and I didn't try to do anything to him to make him do what he did.

Thanks. and yes moving over to the line ( I have done this I'm ashamed to say ) to wake up the driver to my intentions . I assure you he was watching you in his mirror like a hawk ! It works in most cases unfortunately not always and I no longer do that stupid stuff. I can almost assure you he couldn't speed up .. Many trucks can't due to a speed limiter or being heavy in a hill and not enough power. He put himself in a bad spot expecting you to give way .. Boy was He was wrong ! Then He let his anger get to him and decided to teach you a lesson ( not a good idea the public is generally not bright enough ) he saw the sign about the lane being a exit or knew it and you should have too ! the signage was clear California freeway type indicating only the left 3 lanes continued to me hopefully to you in the future. You knew that when you wrote here you were in the far right hand lane to continue on the freeway
Watch out for those impatient truckers out there ! Drive safe
Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #159

Ok, let's back it up and change a couple things. Huff is in the third lane, cruise on, listening to your audio book and talking to your wife. Now, there is a double coming up the right lane, he's going a little faster than you. He probably has it on the floor. Now, I'm going to ASsume he's pulling to 50 foot trailers. So when he looks out his side mirror he is looking back over 100 feet to see when he is clear, as he isn't like some of us that have a rear camera. He has his signal on. He even crowds the line, trying to get your attention. Now we Change things up just a little. (this is all made up and not wishing bad on anybody) what would have happened if he misjudged and hit the front corner of your coach? You were doing 60 MPH. You would go over at least one lane hitting the car beside you. That doesn't take into consideration the people behind you and the accidents it may cause back there as people try to dodge the carnage in front of them. Oh, and are you a good enough driver to handle your coach in that situation? If not you would probably lose control of your coach.

The point I'm trying to make is simple. You got off lucky. It could have turned out much worse. In the end, Huff, you should think about how it could have gone. You or your loved one could have been hurt or killed. Other innocent people could have suffered as well, and for what? The 3 seconds you saved on your eta by not kicking off the cruise control and cutting the guy a break. My dad used to tell me driving is all give and take. The good driver learns when to do both.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #160

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi. I am just an old fa*t that has lived thru many life experiences. When I was young I had similar convictions as yours but have grown more educated. Life is short. Being RIGHT can still be wrong.
I was involved in an accident 40 years ago. I was completely in the RIGHT. All the witnesses, police, insurance company agreed, I was right. The father ran a red light and I ran into him, killing his wife and sending him and his kids to the hospital.
40 years later this incident still bothers me. There are nights I still don't sleep. I think about that family, but I was RIGHT.
Don't know how old you are but get some b**ls and admit you could handle this differently and relax a little and enjoy life. Back off, respect your fellow drivers and don't stress out.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #161

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
It's clear from the video you were not driving defensively. And you keep harping on what he was doing. QED.
This seems to me to be overly critical. How can you tell from a video how he was driving when you are not aware of all of the facts. Everyone seems to suggest there was a line of traffic behind him the kept the truck from falling in behind.

I as well question what the trucker was doing. Why would he try to accelerate past a MH when the lane is ending?

Do you expect us to slow down every time we see a car accelerating down and on ramp with the signal light on?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #162

This thread should be sent to the trucking company . Let them see how the op is enjoying his 15 minutes of irv fame.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #163

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Because the truck driver was fully aware of the roads signs and the OP was not. The truck driver obviously could read English.

Enough said I'm outta here.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If the truck driver was fully aware of the road signs why did he undertake a pass within a couple miles of the lane ending. What was he expecting the outcome to be?

Yes the OP should have slowed down but SHOULD the trucker who you say was aware put the OP in the situation the evolved?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Do you expect us to slow down every time we see a car accelerating down and on ramp with the signal light on?
If it makes the drive safer, then definitely YES. Drive defensively and arrive alive.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #165

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This seems to me to be overly critical. How can you tell from a video how he was driving when you are not aware of all of the facts. Everyone seems to suggest there was a line of traffic behind him the kept the truck from falling in behind.
Based on the fact he was going 5 mph under the speed limit (in CA), and the traffic passing on the left, assuming there's vehicles stacked up behind him is justified, IMO. Also, the FACT (from the video) that he didn't back off when it was clear the truck wanted to move over is a clear demonstration of non-defensive driving.

Quote:
I as well question what the trucker was doing. Why would he try to accelerate past a MH when the lane is ending?
Maybe because he COULD see what was behind the MH and thought that slowing down wouldn't help?

Quote:
If I think it's going to end up anywhere near the front of the RV, and I can't pull over a lane, I do. Enough so it's clear there's room for them to get in front of me.* If they're going to be midway or back, I don't. I might speed up though.

What do you do?

*What really bugs me is when I do that, and then they slow down on the ramp. That's a real pisser.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #166

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes the OP should have slowed down but SHOULD the trucker who you say was aware put the OP in the situation the evolved?
You keep assuming the trucker had a better option. I don't think that's obvious. He might have been in a no-win situation. Slow RV in front that he MIGHT be able to pass in time, and a line of traffic behind that MIGHT make room for him to pull over. I don't know, and neither do you.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #167

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Mad Truck Driver, What do you think?

Quote:
If the truck driver was fully aware of the road signs why did he undertake a pass within a couple miles of the lane ending. What was he expecting the outcome to be?

nobody thinks the trucker was "right" he made several misjudgments both mechanical his truck was faster but not able to maintain speed on the small hill .. And Then he expected Huffy to give some when he got stuck , misjudged humanity I prefer to think huffy didn't understand the truck couldn't speed up and just pass not that he didn't care. Lots of causes , mistakes one thing would have made it all go away. With no incident. Huffy was in charge of that .. Lift for a second and let him in .. It's called defensive driving .. Avoiding the other drivers mistakes and expecting them to do stupid things. Huffy was not driving defensively if he was he wouldn't have cared why the truck wanted over he would have given way. He held his ground expecting someone else to do something ... Not a good idea.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #168

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=Dr4Film;2460907]I would bet that he paid no attention to ANY of the signs because his GPS told him to be in the far left three lanes. He had his cruise control on sitting comfortably in his comfy captains chair just moseying down the highway. He probably didn't even look into either of his mirrors otherwise he would have been FULLY aware of the truck passing him on the right LONG before the lane disappears. Even though the truck and towing speed limit is 55 mph I know a lot of trucks will do 60-65 at times. Plus passing on the right and left happen ALL the time on California freeways.

This sounds very judgemental. Watching the video it appears the signs agree with the GPS. You are hanging a lot of responsibility on the OP and nothing on the truck driver. I did not read anything into the video that says the OP was lazing in his seat.

I have been passed many times by trucks on the right. Most of the time they used the exit that was approaching.

I am re-posting these two comments because you are obviously NOT a defensive driver who is trained to be AWARE of ALL of your surroundings while driving. And that means reading the LARGE signs that are there to help people navigate the freeway.

The large signs also said the three left lanes were through lanes.

If you can't handle a simple defensive maneuver on a fairly open freeway than I suggest you stay away from the Los Angeles area freeways as people will EAT you up and spit you out.

I have driven some of the LA freeways. If you are not in the proper lane you will likely be taking a road trip.

For people following this thread I had lived in the LA area for 16 years before taking up a domicile in Alaska. So I am VERY familiar with the freeways there. With a four lane freeway trucks are not allowed in the #1 or #2 lanes. They are allowed ONLY in the #3 and #4 lanes unless. Only under certain conditions they are allowed to be in the other lanes plus there are signs posted which driver's need to pay attention to that will allow trucks in other lanes. If driving on a five lane freeway with a HOV lane the rule above still holds true. On a three lane freeway such as the I-5 through most of the San Joaquin Valley, trucks are still only allowed in the far two right lanes.

So if the signs were there and the trucker was as innocent as portrayed by most, why did he attempt to pass with such a short distance until the restriction was lifted (if it had not been already lifted because of the lane reduction)?

Based on what I have read so far I am positive that the OP will not change his position or view regarding his driving habits plus I am sure that this was NOT the first encounter he has had. If fact I would go so far as to say that he is a prime candidate for multiple road rage encounters. It is just a matter of time before it will catch up to him. Hopefully it won't cost anyone their lives.

Some people learn from their experiences and others choose not to.

I believe the OP should not change his position. The trucker was foolhardy and endangered others. What gives the truck the right to speed and change lanes whenever he wants?

The OP will change his actions - YES. I believe he will learn from the experience and will react differently in the future.

His iRV2.com handle says it all.

Would not have expected this comment!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Closed Thread

Tags
driver