Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #57

First of all I am not sticking up for HuffyPuff, as he clearly should have yielded to the truck as a matter of self preservation, courtesy, and safety. The rule of thumb in California is to "never demand the right of way", and that is what he did and could have caused a deadly accident not only to the trucker and the MH but to the other vehicles in the immediate area, so his actions were a little irresponsible as many of you have posted.

But a lot of you don't live in Southern California and don't drive these freeways on a daily basis. On a three or more lane freeway such as this the safest place for the MH to travel is the second lane from the right, due to the right lane being for merging on/off and like in this case many times becoming an "exit only" lane. Although driving in Cruise Control thru this area wouldn't be recommended at this time of day, 60 mph is not bad speed. What people fail to remember that in California any vehicle towing another vehicle must be in the right lane(when there are 3 lanes) and their speed limit is 55 at ALL times. Most truck related accidents in Ca are due to excessive speed and these guys regulary drive at 65+, and because " they are working" is not an excuse.

So HuffyPuff I hope you learned from this and quit defending yourself, you "demanded the right of way" and got lucky.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
Where is the big sign that that his lane is ending? Show me in the video.
At 3:38 the overhead signs clearly show that the lane the truck is in is exiting ahead. And his blinkers were already on.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #59

Interesting thread! I was impressed with the second video where the trucker is shown in the extreme right hand lane and as he was approaching an on ramp, he moved left to allow in comming traffic to merge. Good for him to do the right thing.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #60

I see this getting out of hand. Being, hopefully, mature adults should keep this to an exchange of opinions and polite debate.

The new take I see is that Huffy was doing the wrong thing, more so than the trucker. Personally, if someone wants to pass, I make it to where they had better do it good, I usually don't yield to their wants. I'm in my lane, and they should be able to pass by themselves.
Now, most of us drive very long vehicles. We have to protect ourselves because those who don't know how we have to drive is the danger. Truck driver's should know better and definitely be more professional than this "driver" was.
There is a lot of "shoulda coulda woulda," and it's on both sides. Huffy shoulda slowed down and let him in, but not for an exit, but mainly so he could get farther away from the truck parked on the shoulder. The driver shoulda known he couldn't pass quick enough, or shoulda tried harder, and not forced his way in.

So just remember, it's just a debate, until you get banned and the thread gets locked.

Interesting to watch speeds in the second video. Definitely sped up to catch him, and then after catching, it looks like cruise might've been left on 62MPH then instead of 60MPH?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I vote for the trucker. The motor home driver should lift, blink your lights, let the trucker in, wave, and wish him a good day. Then if you think the guy was rude to you, release some stress by saying that you thought he was rude. Investing a few seconds of kindness should make a happier RV-er.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #62
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Let's take a deep breath, folks. It's getting a bit too personal & antagonistic here. Remember our Community Rules:
Quote:
Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully
Thank you,
Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
How many slow passing trucks have you seen? Sometime they can take forever to do so with other trucks. My comment about him coming into my lane was he was not holding his lane very steady. He was otherwise passing me just fine but decided to turn into me too soon to be a bully. You thinking the company should mail me a middle finger makes you a bully too. I hate to be living that kind of life as a bully but will rather get beat by the billy club than to summit to lies.
C'mon HuffyPuff...take a step back and really think about this. Of course trucks take forever to pass, that's all the more reason you should have backed off a tad to let him do it more quickly and safely...especially since the sign ahead was alerting he needed to do something. Not to mention you saw his signal light on and knew someone less maneuverable than you needed to come into the lane you were in...not YOUR lane. Take a look at the number of posts on this subject. I think you can count on 1, maybe 2 fingers how many are siding with your take on this incident. HuffyPuff...that should tell you something...not that we're all bullies.

Someone commented on your female passenger's blurting out, "don't do something stupid". My guess is incidents like this probably happened before and maybe in one or more of those incidents, your reaction to them was, shall we say, maybe not so well thought through? Is it possible she didn't want an instant replay of something similar...You think? Don't be offended by that statement, I'm just trying to put some of this stuff in perspective to maybe understand your thinking out there.

HuffyPuff...look at my signature...I know road rage. You started it by chasing him down...he finished it by flipping you off. That's the definition of road rage. Count your blessings that's as far as it went. And try, as difficult as I suspect it is gonna be, to learn from this. Be courteous on the road...you'll always come out ahead.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #64
EV2

Interesting thread but one has to wonder why the question, "what do you think?"
The OP through the replys appears to want his position supported in spite of the majority of the thread pointing out that a simple accommodation would have made the situation a non-event. After standing ground, blowing horn (that did nothing for safety as the event was over) he then speeds up to collect his one finger trophy for being overly reactionary. There is an attitude displayed that will eventually hurt someone and although one can defend his being technically in the right, it was rude and inconsiderate at best and dangerous to his person and other motorists at worst.
It is a superb display of non-defensive driving and I thank the OP for providing the clip as a teaching moment.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #65
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
The rule of thumb in California is to "never demand the right of way", and that is what he did and could have caused a deadly accident not only to the trucker and the MH but to the other vehicles in the immediate area, so his actions were a little irresponsible as many of you have posted.

But a lot of you don't live in Southern California and don't drive these freeways on a daily basis. On a three or more lane freeway such as this the safest place for the MH to travel is the second lane from the right, due to the right lane being for merging on/off and like in this case many times becoming an "exit only" lane. Although driving in Cruise Control thru this area wouldn't be recommended at this time of day, 60 mph is not bad speed. What people fail to remember that in California any vehicle towing another vehicle must be in the right lane(when there are 3 lanes) and their speed limit is 55 at ALL times. Most truck related accidents in Ca are due to excessive speed and these guys regularly drive at 65+, and because " they are working" is not an excuse.

So HuffyPuff I hope you learned from this and quit defending yourself, you "demanded the right of way" and got lucky.
I DO live in So Cal AND drive these roads AND run a trucking company AND have a motor home - so I see all sides.

The other thing to remember is that there is a law in California (and most other states) that says Move Over for Emergency Vehicles ... if you didn't see the sign that the lane was ending, why wouldn't you move over in case of an emergency? The last thing any trucker wants is either a ticket or accident on their record. It can cost them their job!!

Move Over Law | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Are there bad truck drivers - absolutely!

Are there bad RV drivers - yep!

I always look at it this way ... When I am driving the moho, I am on vacation, whether it is a weekend getaway or longer!! No need to force my way. I allow truck drivers every courtesy possible. Because I know, every one of these truckers wants to go home to their families after the delivery. I have not met a trucker yet who gets into his truck and thinks "whose day can I screw up today by driving rudely" Every action gets a reaction.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #66

Excel Owners Club
Coming from the trucking work, with my husband driving over four million save miles, and myself with two years of co pilot. I have to side with many others, he clearly wanted over, he had his turn signal on, as a driver, he was waiting on you to to kind and let him over.

Sometimes the few seconds in your time lost, by slowing down, could not only save your life, but someone else as well. We all have family that what us to come home.
I worry everyday about my husband, I know he's a safe driver, I worry about the others around him.

Mary
Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
I am not taking sides with the OP, and the easy answer would have been to yield to the truck and let him move over, even though he was totally at fault. However, there have been a few statements that I do not agree with. The truck could have moved over to lane 3 if he wanted to pass. There are 4 lanes in the video. I don't see any indication that the inside lane is an HOV lane, which would make lane 3 legal for him to pass. There was a truck that passed in lane 3 earlier in the video, which would support this. Unless the laws are different than they are here, only the far left lane is off limits for trucks.

Under these circumstances with 4 lanes, I never drive in the far outside lane when going through big cities. I have had several close calls of having to stand on the brakes, when an oblivious driver merged from an in-ramp without yielding, with nowhere for me to go. I always drive in lane 2 of 4. Sometimes the outside lane ends with little to no warning. I will reluctantly move to the outside lane if there are only 3 lanes, but only if I do not feel comfortable enough to run the speed limit.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After viewing all the video and reading all the comments I have a few of my own and look at this situation as a leaning tool.

Looking at the dash cam it drifts from center of lane to far left to far right never really consistent, so the feeling is the motorhome is all over the road.

Is the lane you are in really the lane you should be in when you are being passed on both sides?

When I am driving I am always looking as far ahead as I can as well as around me for any trouble that may be heading my way, i.e. Slower traffic ahead, traffic coming up my 6, lane changes, always watching out for the other guy, because more time than so the other guy is not watching out for you.

I always give trucker as much room as they need, in doing this they return the favor.

I always move over or slow down to let a truck pass, if not I flick my lights when they are clear.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #69

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I am not sure how many are aware, but there is a second video, and the OP cut out the section where the driver flips him off. This is Road Rage at it's finest, he pursues the truck to get a picture of the driver in the second video. I have to ask, why is the female in the background keep saying "Don't do anything stupid"? This tells me there is more to this, and the edited out section probably has footage in it that tells the real story.
Driver's make mistakes everyday, if you feel someone is driving so bad you need to pursue them to take pictures of them, it is time to call the Highway Patrol and let them sort it out. Cooler heads always prevail!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #70

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I see this getting out of hand. Being, hopefully, mature adults should keep this to an exchange of opinions and polite debate.

The new take I see is that Huffy was doing the wrong thing, more so than the trucker. Personally, if someone wants to pass, I make it to where they had better do it good, I usually don't yield to their wants. I'm in my lane, and they should be able to pass by themselves.
Now, most of us drive very long vehicles. We have to protect ourselves because those who don't know how we have to drive is the danger. Truck driver's should know better and definitely be more professional than this "driver" was.
There is a lot of "shoulda coulda woulda," and it's on both sides. Huffy shoulda slowed down and let him in, but not for an exit, but mainly so he could get farther away from the truck parked on the shoulder. The driver shoulda known he couldn't pass quick enough, or shoulda tried harder, and not forced his way in.

So just remember, it's just a debate, until you get banned and the thread gets locked.

Interesting to watch speeds in the second video. Definitely sped up to catch him, and then after catching, it looks like cruise might've been left on 62MPH then instead of 60MPH?
I not claiming to be a professional truck driver but that trucker was taking the right lane to the extreme and should of know to be in the far most right lane that for the direction he is traveling. If he wanted 210 he should of been in that lane long before. Yes I speed up a great bit to catch up after slowing down to 45 MPH because of the hitting the brakes and changing lanes to get away from that crazy driver. I don't know why so many claim I was rude to the driver as I thought he was passing me fine. I also wasn't aware that his lane was ending just because he is in a lane that goes by exits and on ramps. Since he is supposed to be a professional truck driver he has the responsibility to do the right thing.

Tags
driver