Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
Where is the big sign that that his lane is ending? Show me in the video.
From your dash cam video @ 4:34

The truck driver was trying to merge from the lane that was ending!

If there would have been an accident I'd have squarely place the blame on you!...Via your dash cam!...You failed to yield the right of way!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #72

I get the feeling, you are getting lip service, from the trucking company.

You did chase him down!

Let it go.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #73

HuffyPuffy, the bottom line is none of this was worth it for either one of you. Driving is a privilege that should be respected. You got lucky in this situation, simply backing off would have averted everything, including your blood pressure getting all pumped up. You are out traveling to enjoy it, not to push things to narrowly avoid an accident. Like posted before, no matter who is right or wrong, if you get in a serious accident, dead is still dead, and you may end up causing that accident that injures innocent other drivers that never needed to happen. There are enough truly tragic accidents that occur everyday, that we don't need to push the safety envelope that was done in this case. Just be thankful and learn from it, this could have turned out way worse.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #74

SORRY .... I'll only give you credit for posting this. But that's all. What are you thinking, maybe your not.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #75

My philosophy: He's on the clock, I'm not. I slow down to let him over and then give him a salute wave. I like to promote goodwill between RVer's and truckers.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #76

Quote:
Again I was in the lane I was supposed to be in as the far right of the left three lanes. I was only going 5 MPH slower than the speed limited or 7.7 percent slower. :
If you're going 5mph slower and not keeping up with traffic, there are probably several vehicles stuck behind you, thus the truck could not merge behind and his decision to pass the slower moving traffic from the right was probably his only option.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Lets switch vehicle places, RV in the right lane(Pointed out:Should of been ) ABS truck where the RV was at..........What do you think the truck driver would of done when he saw the turn signal in the RV wanting to merge to the left cause the RV's lane was coming to a end.........

(Answer: Courtesy and displaying driving skills)
Old 03-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #78

Used his right hand instead of his left to wave. Whoops.....I really didn't mean that. Belay that last comment.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #79

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL Z View Post
From your dash cam video @ 4:34

The truck driver was trying to merge from the lane that was ending!

If there would have been an accident I'd have squarely place the blame on you!...Via your dash cam!...You failed to yield the right of way!!
Wow after he changed lanes then there is a sign that finally came into my view. At that point he still had plenty of lane to pass without cutting someone off. How was I supposed to before that sign if his truck was blocking my view? I failed to yield the right of way. You got to be kidding me.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #80

Quote:
:... Yes I did see his turn signal on and wonder why he was about to turn into me. I thought he was trying to be a bully as he proved later. Look at the video again and stop when he turn into me and you will see clear road ahead of him, not a ended lane. I did check my mirror to get over but was not safe as a car was coming up my left side. Look at the video again and you will see it pass me on the left soon after.

:
At 3:36 there is a sign indicating his lane turns into an exit. At that time he turns on his blinker. At 4:33 we clearly see that his lane ends. Sorry, but you didn't see it while driving and you can't see it in the video... Are you sure you should be driving your RV?

He wasn't being a bully, he had to change lanes, uphill, with a large vehicle slowing traffic in the adjoining lane.

I don't know about the US but in Canada, neither vehicle has the right of way when merging is required. Last I checked, passing in the right lane is legal in California.

And you picked your lane because the GPS said so? People have died, driven into water etc... blindly trusting that the GPS knows best and not focusing on outside signs...
Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
If you're going 5mph slower and not keeping up with traffic, there are probably several vehicles stuck behind you, thus the truck could not merge behind and his decision to pass the slower moving traffic from the right was probably his only option.
Huffy...STOP SAYING YOU WERE IN THE LANE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE IN...that has no bearing on this whatsoever. Just read what marcham wrote above:

Pay close attention to that last line Huffy: His decision to pass the slower moving traffic from the right was probably his only option.

Because of your discourtesy, YOU LEFT HIM NO OTHER OPTION then you made it nearly impossible for him to exercise his ONLY OPTION. His lane ran out 10 seconds after he merged into the lane you were in. You could have made it sooooo much easier for him but you chose not to.

Don't get all caught up in the weeds about what lane he should have been in, what lane you had a right to be in, how slow you were driving, how fast he was driving...don't you see Huffy...none of that matters. What matters is a trucker was on your right and you didn't know why he wanted to merge left, but...you KNEW he wanted to merge left and you refused to let him do it. Why would you do that???? You put your life and Puffies life in danger...for what???? Because you were where you should be????

Your defensive posture of calling truckers bullies is wrong. Then you post your piece, ask our opinion then call us bullies if we don't agree with you. C'mon Huffy...learn from this. You'll live so much longer!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #82

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Now lets make up more excuses for the truck driver.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Now lets make up more excuses for the truck driver.
Maybe a reply to post #77...... What would of expected the truck driver to do? you are running out of road.......your turn signal is on wanting to merge to the left.......
Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking at the video IMO the OP was in the correct lane to continue through on the interstate. The signs clearly state the 3 lanes to the left were for the interstate and the right lane was for a road or street. Being in the right lane as some suggest would have placed the MH in the wrong lane to continue through.

Being as we cannot see what the traffic was like behind we have no idea whether the trucker should have attempted the pass when he did. Was there a lot of traffic behind - ?? probably not judging from the vehicles that were passing on the left.

As stated the trucker has probably driven the road a lot and he should have an idea whether he has time or not to get around a MH that is traveling at a constant speed. I do not believe traffic was heavy enough to warrant not using cruise in the MH.

So bad decision by the trucker to attempt to pass the MH when he did. He had less than 2 miles to execute a clean pass. He could have easily pulled in behind the MH assuming the traffic was going around the MH on the left and waited for the left lane once the 4th lane ended. Obviously he misjudged or is aggressive.

We are talking about two miles at 60 which is 2 minutes. If the trucker were traveling at 65 how many seconds difference in time would it be lost if he slowed to 60 behind the MH? Obviously the length of his unit is the distance he would have lost.

I watched the video and did not see any signs that indicated the lane would end (perhaps those with better eyes than mine could comment on that).

Being in the presence of a mistake and trying to enforce your rights does not make it OK. Only in math do two negatives make a positive.

So the answer is to back off a bit and let the vehicle in. Seeing the signal lights on the truck should have been an idicator that something was happening ahead. I have dealt with truckers for years. There are good ones and bad ones but none I know of would deliberately look to be involved in a wreck. There is no money in it. Not only would there be cost in the wreck but the truck does not make money sitting in the shop.

IMO this is a situation initiated by the trucker and made worse by the OP.

Tags
driver