Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #85
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO this is a situation initiated by the trucker and made worse by the OP.
Yeah, but the OP could have given him a break. Seems like the golden rule does not apply to the Highway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #86

It's usually a good idea to treat (especially with big OTR trucks) a turn signal as an 'intention', not as a 'permissive request'...

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 03-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #87
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
Honestly, I think that the O.P. was looking for endorsement for his actions, unfortunately he didn't get it, therefore is going to argue each point
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
Honestly, I think that the O.P. was looking for endorsement for his actions, unfortunately he didn't get it, therefore is going to argue each point
X2!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #89

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO this is a situation initiated by the trucker and made worse by the OP.
Agree. If I had been driving the coach as soon as the left turn signal came on I would have backed off and given the trucker room to merge.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Yeah, but the OP could have given him a break. Seems like the golden rule does not apply to the Highway.
I agree. Slowing down is the correct and right thing to do.

I question the truckers 'need' to get ahead when he should have known that the lane was ending up ahead (if as suggested he routinely traveled the route). He theoretically is traveling a road that is known to him in a vehicle he should be thoroughly familiar with. Starting a passing maneuver when he did is or may be bad judgement.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
We don't know what really happened to put the truck in the position we set it at the beginning of the video. Maybe he just entered the road and there was traffic blocking him from going around the RV. Maybe he wasn't familiar with that road. We just don't know.

What we can see is that if the OP had backed off 100' when he saw the turn signals, there would have been no drama at all. But no, he was on cruise control and dammit he was going to stay there, come hell or high water. No sympathy from me for his stress.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #92

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
At 3:36 there is a sign indicating his lane turns into an exit. At that time he turns on his blinker. At 4:33 we clearly see that his lane ends. Sorry, but you didn't see it while driving and you can't see it in the video... Are you sure you should be driving your RV?

He wasn't being a bully, he had to change lanes, uphill, with a large vehicle slowing traffic in the adjoining lane.

I don't know about the US but in Canada, neither vehicle has the right of way when merging is required. Last I checked, passing in the right lane is legal in California.

And you picked your lane because the GPS said so? People have died, driven into water etc... blindly trusting that the GPS knows best and not focusing on outside signs...
At 3:36 I see him in exit for Paxton Street, not exit only. So that it not true his lane is an exit. At 4:33 after the Paxton Street exit it shows his lane ending after he did his deed and still had plenty of lane not to cut somebody off. There was no way for me to see that sign and arrow on the road before as his truck and trailer blocked my view. I had never purposely cut someone off and flip the finger because someone told me so. I don't see the problem of driving a slower safe speed as no one should have a problem to get by me. All other vehicles was doing fine with the lane I was in, just he wasn't.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP,

3 Years ago I was sitting at a STOP sign yielding the "right of way". I was broadsided by a vehicle who got hit by another vehicle who failed to yield "them" the right of way.

Vehicle A and I were in the right. Vehicle C was in the wrong. I have a metal plate, 4 screws, and donor bone in my neck. I have nerve damage in the left neck that causes headaches, arm numbness, and knotting of muscles across my back from this accident that will never go away. I have had 4 (count them four) surgeries to fix the problem and it as good as it is ever going to get. I have trouble swallowing now due to injury to my esophagus that will never get better.

My insurance company has paid over $100,000 in surgeries and PT for my injuries, $28,000 for my car, and $15,000 in lost ages for me and time off work. Vehicle A had injuries and lost her car, Vehicle C (who caused the accident) lost her car and then hit a house and caved in the foundation. I am sure her insurance company has nailed her hide if they did not cancel her. I forgot to mention, they also paid (the full amount allowable to me for injuries) as a settlement out of court.

My neck and back will never be the same ever again. I will have trouble swallowing for ever. The money I received (although nice) will never pay for what I have suffered and suffer every day. Three years later it still feels like I have a garden hose from my T5 vertebrae around to my side. It will never go away. It can be seen from outside my clothes.

I WAS IN THE RIGHT! It simply does not matter who was right and who was wrong. You missed the bullet, thank God and did not have to pay the ultimate price and bury your wife or spend the rest of your life wondering if you had just slowed for a minute or two that the truck driver wouldn't have died. Or some innocent motorist or several of them.

All of us pay more for insurance because of this type of stuff. I will pay forever because someone else wouldn't wait for 60 seconds. That is what I call it, the 60 second mistake of agony. Her mistake, my agony. If she had waited 60 seconds it would never had happened. I would not have been injured, 3 vehicles would not have been totaled, a house would not have been damaged, and she would not be in a high risk driver pool now.

What price are you willing to pay so you can be right? Your wife's life, another motorists, the truckers, your ability to walk, or having to have your MH fixed and the inconvenience of being without it for a few weeks or months while it is fixed.

I can tell you being right (because I was) will make NO DIFFERENCE when someone is hurt or killed. We can all learn from this. The factor that you keep totting you were right really concerns me. Would it really have hurt you to just slow down for a moment? Every day, ir-regardless of what you drive, there are idiots out on the road that you will meet. We have to always be on our guard for them. Give way man, give way. Was is worth it? Not for you, your wife, your MH, or any other driver on the road including someone who is in the wrong. You put a lot of effort into chasing down the driver. Someone did that here recently when he was cut off. He was shot and killed when he approached the in the wrong driver. Was he in the right, yes, but he is sill dead. Now his wife (who got to watch her husband be shot dead) and their 2 small children get to live the rest of their lives without him. Not to mention his parents, and other families and friends. The in the wrong guy gets to spend the rest of his life in prison (he was 74 yrs old) and his wife is now alone. They have no children.

Doesn't matter who was right, your lucky no one is dead or injured. Pease give way in the future, it only takes 60 seconds and may save you and someone else untold agony. Me, I will pay the rest of my days.

Just want us all safe, Lynne
Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #94
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Huffy, you really aren't learning from this. I sincerely hope that I do not see you on the evening news, but if you don't learn to co-exist......
Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
At 3:36 I see him in exit for Paxton Street, not exit only. So that it not true his lane is an exit.
The sign clearly showed that the right most lane was NOT a through lane for the Interstate. There was no Interstate symbol or arrow over his lane. It might not have said exit only, but the signage was clear.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #96

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf4 View Post
Endorsement for my action LOL I see this is a crazy forum and anything I say will seem like an argument. So many here seem to enjoy it as the many post in one day is point counter point that isn't base on fact.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #97

HuffyPuffy, you're missing the point, forget about the speed, forget about the lane, forget about who is right or wrong. All you needed to do was back off and let him in, even if he was wrong to start with. Don't forget if you live through the accident, when they are taking the accident report there will be many witnesses who will have seen this event differently than you did, as you are seeing by the responses you are getting. And if it was left up to your dash cam I wouldn't want to use that in your defense in this situation either. This could have been a huge liability for you.

At this point either you are very stubborn, hence why this occurred in the first place or you are simply messing with all who are posting and trying to keep you safe, as well as others around you in future road trips.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
Endorsement for my action LOL I see this is a crazy forum and anything I say will seem like an argument. So many here seem to enjoy it as the many post in one day is point counter point that isn't base on fact.
The only "facts" we have to go on are what we see in the video. My posts are based on that.

Closed Thread

Tags
driver