Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mad Truck Driver, What do you think?

I was on I-210 5 miles from I-5 in southern cal when a ABF double swapped the rear of his trailer across my front in near collision. I had my cruise control set on 60 MPH and had no problem with being passed as many other vehicles did so. First he pass me on the right in a lane he was supposed to exit, he was going about 10 mph over the speed limit and I didn't signal that it was clear. I also had a car to the left of me so I couldn't change lanes. When I blew the horn to let him know he wasn't clear he responded with the finger. I had to hit the brakes and change lanes when the car passed to get away from that crazy driver. One friend told me that some truck drivers don't like mom and pop driving slow in their motorhome.

To save time on 5 minutes video the truck appears at 2:50 minutes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Close one.. The only thing you could have done to prevent the situation was to back off when you saw his blinker indicating his desire to change lanes. I'm glad it turned out OK. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Close one.. The only thing you could have done to prevent the situation was to back off when you saw his blinker indicating his desire to change lanes. I'm glad it turned out OK. Thanks for sharing.
^^

Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #4

After looking at this, I saw a few things. I will take your word that he was speeding. As required by California law he was in the correct lane to start with. Don't ask as I found out the hard way. When he noticed he was in a wrong lane, he put his blinker on so that he could get over. From hearing the conversation you were having with your wife, it appears you did not see it. Also, if you will go back and look near the end of the video he came over after the lane ended. If you have never had a car do this then count yourself lucky. I am not saying he was right, he also could have slowed down until you passed. The problem with that is if there were also cars behind you. For me, I will always slow down to let a big truck get over when I see their blinker on. My rv grosses out at 43,000, but 80,000 always wins no matter who is right. Glad it turned out safely for all.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, most drivers are professional, a very few are not. I try to anticipate their moves and leave room for stupid drivers. If they're driving for a company and not freelancing get their truck number and report them like I have.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
After looking at this, I saw a few things. I will take your word that he was speeding. As required by California law he was in the correct lane to start with. Don't ask as I found out the hard way. When he noticed he was in a wrong lane, he put his blinker on so that he could get over. From hearing the conversation you were having with your wife, it appears you did not see it. Also, if you will go back and look near the end of the video he came over after the lane ended. If you have never had a car do this then count yourself lucky. I am not saying he was right, he also could have slowed down until you passed. The problem with that is if there were also cars behind you. For me, I will always slow down to let a big truck get over when I see their blinker on. My rv grosses out at 43,000, but 80,000 always wins no matter who is right. Glad it turned out safely for all.
X2...
Be safe & ALWAYS pay attention. Hencethe nature of "Los Angeles" traffic!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
X3 He had his signal on for some time hoping you would let him over . right or wrong he edged over to give you the idea to back off. trucks will sometimes do that (not recommended ) to "wake up" the guy riding beside that wont give. You didn't. You weren't wrong to stay your ground but in traffic like that being "right" can cause problems. He has to travel in the right lane as much as possible by law meaning he has to merge over a lot. Lucky all ended with only nerves upset.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:44 AM   #8

I hate to say it, but I think you were legally right and yet wrong from a courteous driver standpoint. He was running out of lane, almost certainly on his limiter at 62mph (since you were doing 60, and he was only pulling you at about 3' a second).

It's always much, much harder to fall back in traffic and be assured others won't catch up than it is for a courteous driver to lift for 10 seconds and let him get far enough out to make a safer lane change. Since you aren't, by your own admission, in a rush, can't you help out another driver?

Steve
Old 03-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #9

Hate to say it but I am not sure you have ever driven a vehicle without much power or a limiter....

You are clearly going slower then the majority of the traffic so I would be in the right lane.

Next he has a car merge in on him and has to back off.. it takes him a while to get back up to speed and the lane is ending...

You need to turn off the cruise control and let him in.. I would have done the same thing if I was driving the truck..

day cab pulling B-train trying to make a living,,, give him a break and let him merge in.... and take the right lane
Old 03-11-2015, 03:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I hate to say it, but I think you were legally right and yet wrong from a courteous driver standpoint. He was running out of lane, almost certainly on his limiter at 62mph (since you were doing 60, and he was only pulling you at about 3' a second).

It's always much, much harder to fall back in traffic and be assured others won't catch up than it is for a courteous driver to lift for 10 seconds and let him get far enough out to make a safer lane change. Since you aren't, by your own admission, in a rush, can't you help out another driver?

Steve
Steve has it mostly right, but I believe Ca. law states "Keep right except to Pass"
So, by you forcing the truck to pass you on the right, you are at fault. If he jumps out in the third lane to pass you he is in a ticket lane, so he had to pass you on the right. He is clearly running up against his governor, and cannot go any faster. I think you should show this video to a CHP officer
and ask his honest opinion. I also think you should be more aware of the traffic around you, and show some common courtesy! The road is not yours alone! Trucks in Ca. are restricted to the far two right lanes, so you driving in the second lane from the right is blocking the passing lane for the faster vehicle's. Trucks and RV's speed limit in Ca. is 55MPH! So you both were speeding! Learn from this, and be more aware and courteous in the future, and you will have less of this happening. It could have been a lot worse!
Rail!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Common sense

If trucks are passing you in the lane to your right, you are in the wrong lane.

Never drive beside a semi for miles and miles. If you are right at the same speed, you change your speed. He might not be able to and he is working, you are not.

Cruise control is not an entitlement.

Travel safe.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
You wonder why he flipped you off?????? 2 signs in his lane for some street telling him he is going to have to exit if he does not move left,........as soon as the first trailer is visible, his left turn signal is on, and I am assuming it had been on since that driver had seen that first sign,..............you had plenty of time/space to move left and let him come over, you did nothing, never slowed till he squeezed you over. As far as passing on the right, some state's might not allow it but in today's world and our highway system, most do allow it. No show/driving skills on you part at all. Sorry!
Watched it again, the turn signal on the rear of the truck, under the trailer was on , flashing when the truck passed you!, So he started plenty early to notify you of his intentions of needing to do a lane change.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"wife" Don't do something stupid. nuff said
Old 03-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #14

I'm sorry but from the video it looks to me that you were driving in a bubble. If you ever have taken a defensive driving course, they would describe you as a passive inattentive driver. Meaning you did nothing wrong but if you had been paying attention to the road signs, you would have known a few miles back that the truck was going to have to change lanes. Defensive driving principles dictate that you would anticipate this and make room for the other vehicle. It looks like a busy stretch of road, probably not the best time for cruise control.

Tags
driver