Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM   #1

If this is a repeat on this board my appologies. This product appeared on the "Trucks" TV program this past weekend. And I'll bet it will sell a bunch of them now. Check this site out.
http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/index.asp

The host did a good job to convince me that Bio-Diesel fuel is the way of the future.

Del Monte

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 PM   #2

If this is a repeat on this board my appologies. This product appeared on the "Trucks" TV program this past weekend. And I'll bet it will sell a bunch of them now. Check this site out.
http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/index.asp

The host did a good job to convince me that Bio-Diesel fuel is the way of the future.

Del Monte

Old 09-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It would be great if instead of paying farmers not to grow certain crops, the government paid the farmers something to grow high oil producing crops for bio diesel.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #4

Lynnvt, that would make sense to do that therefor they will never do it.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #5

Do you think it would be worth it though for farmers who probably use diesel more than most? For RVers I don't see how it would pay. The first tank full for you summer vacation would be cheap. Fillups after will cost you.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #6

.....cost more to make Bio than dino....geofkaye
Old 09-06-2005, 04:23 AM   #7

That's a bummer. Even on small scale? Like for personal use?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #8

If any of you have to opportunity to actually attend a demonstration of one of the bio-fuel distillers, by all means attend it. It is a very interesting thing. I do not think the making bio-fuel for RV's is feasible unless you run large fuel tanks and travel only a short distance from home. But that is my opinion. The units are far to tall to fit into an RV basement (wouldn't fit into the 36+" high basement of our Eagle bus). So that involves a cargo trailer to haul the thing around. And then there is the jet fuel used as a catylist. David and I sat down and worked out that discounting our time and labour as well as the initial investment of the distiller (well, that's what they look like), the cost of the resulting fuel is very close to the pump price not the $0.75/gl they were claiming. You might look into a setup that uses Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) usually clean unused rapeseed/canola oil (best "fuel" oil). We have run into problems locating a good quality waste oil in our location (folks don't want to mess with it here... employees are too stupid or lazy to deal with seperating the waste oil from other greases))
Old 09-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Make your own out of WVO or Waste Vegetable Oil. Only works for diesels. Lots of info out there. I first learned about it on http://www.thedieselstop.com there are a couple of forums there about bio and WVO.
Chet