Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #1

Making it hard to buy Local

So yesterday, I was doing a little work checking out the tv antenna, and broke the directional handle, no big deal, I figured I would just order another one.
Saturday, I had been to a local RV store in Jeffersonville IN, about 13 miles from my home, and bought a few things,
I went to the stores webpage, and put the Directional knob in the cart, and figured, what the hec, I will get the crank handle also, total cost 14.76, for both Reasonable price, so I fill in zip code, for shipping charges, figuring it would be about 5.00 for priority mail.
Oh no, it was 14.40 for UPS ground, plus a 7.00 charge for small order.
total cost for 2 little parts totaling 14.76, was 36.16.
My head nearly exploded, I may never go in the store, to buy anything again,
Got on Amazon Smile, using prime, and the same parts were 15.76 with shipping.

I almost always try to buy local, but no way I am paying more than double for the privilege of doing business locally .
The shipping charge was enough to make me shop somewhere else, but 7.00 small order fee really irked me, and turned me off to even doing business with them in the future.

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I came upon a recycle RV parts store(warehouse) in my town that has been around for a long time. It was amazing to see the amount of stuff they had.

Maybe there is a recycle parts store near you.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ditto on the handle to raise the antenna. I looked it up online and it was $1.87. The local RV store where I store the rig had it on sale for $9.00. Ok, so some markup, don't have to ship it, but still 4X?
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #4

I'm curious about why you wouldn't just drive to a store that was only 13 miles away rather than order on line. Buying locally insures that when you need the store it will still be there.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On pretty much everything I buy I will check locally and on the internet. I buy from the lowest priced location taking into account taxes and shipping.

I did this just yesterday, needed a thermal fuse for dishwasher, locally ~$30 plus I'd have to drive ~60 miles round trip, on line $16. Guess where I ordered from. It will take a week to get the part but I can wash dishes for the interim.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
So yesterday, I was doing a little work checking out the tv antenna, and broke the directional handle, no big deal, I figured I would just order another one.
Saturday, I had been to a local RV store in Jeffersonville IN, about 13 miles from my home, and bought a few things,
I went to the stores webpage, and put the Directional knob in the cart, and figured, what the hec, I will get the crank handle also, total cost 14.76, for both Reasonable price, so I fill in zip code, for shipping charges, figuring it would be about 5.00 for priority mail.
Oh no, it was 14.40 for UPS ground, plus a 7.00 charge for small order.
total cost for 2 little parts totaling 14.76, was 36.16.
My head nearly exploded, I may never go in the store, to buy anything again,
Got on Amazon Smile, using prime, and the same parts were 15.76 with shipping.

I almost always try to buy local, but no way I am paying more than double for the privilege of doing business locally .
The shipping charge was enough to make me shop somewhere else, but 7.00 small order fee really irked me, and turned me off to even doing business with them in the future.
Did you take into consideration the $79.00 annual fee ($99.00 after March 15th 2015) to be an Amazon Prime member?
Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I'm curious about why you wouldn't just drive to a store that was only 13 miles away rather than order on line. Buying locally insures that when you need the store it will still be there.
Because it was the Weekend, they were closed and I am busy the rest of the week. Reasonable shipping would be cheaper than my time, and gas.
Also, it is not like this specific dealer has a stellar reputation anyway. I was just going to give them a chance. Was even OK with it being a little higher priced.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Did you take into consideration the $79.00 annual fee ($99.00 after March 15th 2015) to be an Amazon Prime member?
We saved more than 79.00 already this year on shipping, so there is nothing to consider as far as the amazon fee., Plus using Amazon smile, they donate a small amount to our Great Dane rescue.