Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #29

Chivalry is not dead.....
it just forgets most if the time.
I never forget.
And a hat is purely for warming my shine, or preventing lobsterizing from the sun.....but I do have way too many of them!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #30

OK I have to throw this in. Appropriate dress on airplanes these days is Hazmat Suit Or NFL pads with scuba gear. One of the reasons I keep my motorhome is to avoid airplane rides.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
OK I have to throw this in. Appropriate dress on airplanes these days is Hazmat Suit Or NFL pads with scuba gear. One of the reasons I keep my motorhome is to avoid airplane rides.

Now that's funny...and not too far from the truth!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSteinmetz View Post
I believe in common courtesies and am old school in many ways...probably my Midwest upbringing and all my years in the military. I'll be honest though, dressing up to fly on a plane is something I don't do. That said, I also don't dress like I'm on my way to Home Depot to pick up more sheets of drywall. As far as removing my ball cap when eating at Cracker Barrel et al...something else I don't concern myself with too much. I DO remove my hat (and place it over my heart) for the National Anthem and when I enter or eat at friend's/family's homes.

I am far from a "rebel" but I also don't worry too much about some of the things other people seem to believe are cast in stone...I'm not so rigid in my beliefs though that it keeps me from respecting the traditions of others.
X2 Except not from my Midwest upbringing.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #33

Manners in most public places is dead. Men wearing tank tops to restaurants with or without a cap on is common place and just gross. Screaming babies and the parents not doing anything about it is common place. Cell phones ringing all over the place is not only disturbing to others but just plain rude. Kids running around a restaurant, even a family style one, is common and unwanted.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
It seems that disrespect is a cause of a lot of the nations troubles, with shootings, etc. I don't know why respect is fading away, but I wish it could come back. What a nice country we would have again!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We're living the final years of the Roman Empire.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #36

Manners

Parenting.
My kids and grands are courteous and kind.
Pay it forward. Pass it on.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #37

I was fortunate enough to be born in the Midwest (WI) and raised in the South (KY)...

I always try to hold the door and often get complimented on my manners.. I stand when my GF arrives and I even hold her chair for her.. I even help her put her jacket on.. I'm lucky, as my GF enjoys and appreciates those little things (as she says, it is a true sign of respect).. I've been dating her for over 5 years now and she has asked "when's the "show" over"... to which I respond... never, so get used to it !!

At 46 yrs old.. I was raised by a Mother who instilled in me a sense of respect for all of God's creatures.. I don't know why that would ever go out of style, but it has.. I try very hard to take off my hat in restaurants, but not always.. I wouldn't in a Mc D's or Burger King, but a nicer "sit down" style one, I would... but that's just me.. I honestly don't know I'm doing half the things I do.. its just a way of life for me..

My 15yr old son just went on his first "job interview".. It was for a volunteer position for NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training) thru the Boy Scouts... I reminded him to look people in the eye when speaking or being spoken to... to say, yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir and no sir... and the one pet peeve of mine... I reminded him the proper answer is yes... NOT "yeah".. I hate that one...

The mantra I continually beat into my kids head is... PLEASE treat others the way you want to be treated, and you will have a happy and full life.. I also explain that not everyone will share that philosophy...

It's a shame civility has taken a back seat in today's world..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Having been brought up a Navy "brat" under a naval officer where protocol was utmost, "yes/no sir" was drilled into me from the getgo. After being in the AF and working civil service for them the next 31 years, the habit never subsided. I have been retired for 15 years now, and I still say sir and maam to just about everyone AND I am a door holder, I don't care who it is. As for hats, I agree with not wearing them at the dinner table or in restaurants. So there.....
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #39

Few care as chivalry is for the most part, extinct. Chivalry was a system of mutual behaviors that has basically died from lack of mutuality. Of course, there are exceptions, but how do you know your behavior will be understood or appreciated?Your behavior may actually be ignored or resented by the "ladies."
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
As a Lady... I'll say this... if you display those manners... and it is ignored or resented by the ladies... they are not the ones you should be interested in.
When they return eye contact with a smile, you know it is understood and appreciated.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #41

I'm old fashioned....I'll open doors for ladies and older folks that need assistance. I even open the car door for my wife frequently. I never wear a hat while eating....never wear a sleeveless shirt in a restaurant. And, I tend to reply with yes or no "sir" or "maam". It's a shame that a lot of "civility" has been lost over time. But...each generation has it's own characteristics, and at age 65, I am what I am!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
We're living the final years of the Roman Empire.
We are... ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1419342487085.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	81660  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote