Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Manners

Am I the only one that removes his hat when entering the dining room? Or elevator, if a lady is present? How about opening doors? When was the last time you held the door for someone else? Used to be a matter of respect when entering another's house, to remove your hat, what happened? Too many ballcaps at the table, and no one seems to care anymore. Now when you mention this lack of respect or manners people get upset. I guess because they never were taught manners or respect for others. Have we really gone that far down hill that quickly? Or was it so slowly no one cared?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #2

Hold doors open for people all the time, both men and women. And have it done for me occasionally. However, usually do not remove my hat in casual restaurants. When in Rome... er, Texas.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

And whatever happened to "you're welcome"? Now when you say "thank you", the more common reply is "no problem".
Old 12-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

If I sat down and ate a meal with my hat on, my mother would turn over in her grave. I see it all the time, and bugs me. That shows no manners.

Al, Michigan.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ladies first,hold doors open for both sexes,please and thank you with a smile and remove your shoes when entering a house or motorhome. Makes me feel good to do it so why not. Chivalry is not dead yet.
Removing my hat is another story as I get pretty bad hat hair after I've been wearing one for a while. I usually let those I'm with decide and I'm told to leave it on a lot.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

I don't mind people holding doors open for other people, but only when it doesn't impede things. For example, assume I'm walking into a place with counter service. A man gets to the door first, but sees me coming so he opens the door and stands aside as I enter. But then comes the awkwardness--he was there first, but now I'm in front of him. Who's next at the counter?

If he'd just gone through the door, and if I got there while the door was still ajar, he could have helped keep it ajar for me, but I just think it's nonsense for him to stand aside and let me go ahead just because I'm female.

This probably started back in the days when women weren't ever supposed to exert themselves, and were probably wearing white gloves that they didn't want to get dirty. We're not in those days any more.

I don't automatically open a door for anyone, but if I'm first through, I'll always give the person behind me a chance to catch it, regardless of gender. Unless it's cold outside, and nothing drives me crazier than someone standing their holding the door w-i-d-e open, letting all kinds of cold air in, waiting for someone to finish sauntering to the door from the parking lot.

As for removing hats, why shouldn't women have to remove them? I can understand it back in the day when they were held on with hat pins and hairdos might be arranged around them (which is also these days in England sometimes), but I see no difference between a woman wearing a ball cap and a man wearing a ball cap, and don't see why men are considered boors if they don't remove theirs, but women aren't.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #7

I went to lunch one day with 2 guys and two gals I had met only a few days before. They were all from a younger generation than me and lived all over this country. As we arrived at the table I held the chair for the closest one to me, and remained standing till the two gals were seated then I sat. No big deal, and I didn't even realize it until one of the guys said "what would your wife say if she saw that?"

Well, that sure started a lively conversation! One of the ladies was from the Left Coast and she said she couldn't ever remember seeing anyone holding a chair for a lady. The other one said "did you really remain standing until I sat? Now that is a first!" One of the guys said "with this woman lib thing its an insult to treat them differently"!

It was a enjoyable and informative lunch I can tell you. I ended up working very closely for the next 3 months with one of the ladies, and at the end of the assignment she said "don't ever forget those Southern manors Pete".
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Hold doors open for people all the time, both men and women. And have it done for me occasionally. However, usually do not remove my hat in casual restaurants. When in Rome... er, Texas.
Amen brother - if I take my hat off after a couple hours Annie says I look like a bad Einstein... don't look much better if I never put the hat on but not gonna shave my head only to be told I look like a bad Vin Diesel...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, the hat thing is an issue for several reasons... I was taught to remove my hat when dining, but where do you put it? My hat is not foldable or crushable and there is not always a vacant chair close by and hardly ever a hat rack...
If others are wearing hats, I usually leave mine on (sorry Mom). If I'm the only one wearing a hat and there is no place to put it, I have walked it back out to the car (or trucK). Then I walk back in as a commissioned officer... Major Hat Hair.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

Forget all the holding doors and tipping/removing hats. Cute, but way old-fashioned. How about basic manners such as respect for who was in line first? I remember taking my wife to Minnesota and we were in a department store, waiting at a 4-sided checkout counter. The only clerk finished a sale, then went to somebody across from us. That person said to her "I'm sorry, those people over there were here before me." I thought my wife was going to faint. That would never happen in Miami, New York, Los Angeles or many other big cities.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was taught the same as everyone else. I always open the door for people. One thing that I still do is say yes ma'am or no ma'am, yes sir and no sir especially to my elders.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
I was taught the same as everyone else. I always open the door for people. One thing that I still do is say yes ma'am or no ma'am, yes sir and no sir especially to my elders.

Yup! I used to always say Yes Sir/Mam to my elders, but damnit, now I am the elder.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Yup! I used to always say Yes Sir/Mam to my elders, but damnit, now I am the elder.
It beats the alternative. Does that mean you are no longer courteous?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
One of the guys said "with this woman lib thing its an insult to treat them differently"!
I highly suspect that the majority of women would gladly forgo hat doffing and door holding in exchange for equal pay for equal work, which would be a REAL sign of respect.