Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Well, if the old saying holds true, "In like a lion - out like a lamb," in regards to March weather, we should be in good shape come the 31st. We got about 7 inches of new snow last night on top of the 3 or so we already have. Some guys I know were supposed to paddle East Sandy Creek in canoes/kayaks today.

I wasn't sure if they'd ditch their plans or not, given the weather. So, I went down and waited for them for a while. When they didn't show - I decided to do a little four wheelin' and drove up into the trailhead of the the Sandy Creek trail. Once I got up there, the snow was drifted 1 1/2 feet deep and I got stuck. I spent about 20 minutes kicking snow out from under the tires and rocking back and forth in 4WD low to get out. Once I got turned around and back in my own tracks, I snapped a picture.....

Now that I've got that out of my system, C'MON SPRING !!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Well, if the old saying holds true, "In like a lion - out like a lamb," in regards to March weather, we should be in good shape come the 31st. We got about 7 inches of new snow last night on top of the 3 or so we already have. Some guys I know were supposed to paddle East Sandy Creek in canoes/kayaks today.

I wasn't sure if they'd ditch their plans or not, given the weather. So, I went down and waited for them for a while. When they didn't show - I decided to do a little four wheelin' and drove up into the trailhead of the the Sandy Creek trail. Once I got up there, the snow was drifted 1 1/2 feet deep and I got stuck. I spent about 20 minutes kicking snow out from under the tires and rocking back and forth in 4WD low to get out. Once I got turned around and back in my own tracks, I snapped a picture.....

Now that I've got that out of my system, C'MON SPRING !!!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 David.
The bike trails are sure under that great pile of snow kind of wonder what happened to global warming this winter.
Its suppose to warm up this week hope its for sure and not just a tease.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
The worst part of my adventure was that I burned nearly 1/4 of a tank of precious gasoline to get out of there. Pretty dumb, huh?

Check out my website for photos of the trails without snow, as well as some the other things around my area.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Dave S...Welcome to iRV2! I can tell you that this happens to be the most helpful RV forum on the web...I am sure you will find all sorts of info...along with sharing your tales with everyone here.

Again...welcome to iRV2! Please visit & post often!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Winter does seem to be dragging on this year. We're also in NW Pennsylvania, and March has always been an unpredictable month.

Friday's snow left us with about 8 inches of fresh white stuff on the ground, and me with two motorhomes sitting in the driveway. The owner of our previous Journey was coming Saturday to pick up the rig and drive it home, so the snow meant I was out Friday night plowing and clearing the drive.

Since our new rig isn't going anywhere for a couple weeks, I elected to push the snow in front of it to clear the way for the Winnebago. I hope that 6 foot high pile melts before our first trip of the year

Temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 60's today , then more snow mid-week.......ugh

Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Not to split hairs, but is Butler/Saxonburg really in NORTHWEST PA Joe?

rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Not to split hairs, but is Butler/Saxonburg really in NORTHWEST PA Joe?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I stand corrected

Since I work clsoe to Pittsburgh, all the folks there think Butler is soooo far North since we seem to get much more severe weather than Pittsburgh which is only 40 miles away. This past weekend for example....some areas around Pittsburgh received 2-3 inches of snow while we received 8.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
...some areas around Pittsburgh received 2-3 inches of snow while we received 8. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

8" of snooow! I hope it melts before April.

-Tom from Southwest PA

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dave S (aka themanfromvan),
Yes, welcome

We've got a pretty active group from C/E OH & W PA that RV together quite frequently. Many of the places you mentioned on your website (Clear Creek, Cook Forest, Mosquito Lake SP & West Branch SP) are spots we frequently get to. We'd love to have you join us. Check out the North Central & Pond Piggie forums throughout the season. That's where we post our campouts.

Sorry 'bout you PA guys & all your snow. The warm weather this past weekend melted all ours away down here in central OH. Now we're bracing for up to 3" of rain. Must be time to get out my canoe.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" up there. We have about 2" on the ground and it is still coming down hard. They had predictions of "a light dusting" of snow that would barely cover the grass.

Yeh, right. We moved to Texas to get out of the geography where this fluffy white stuff comes to visit.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Clear Creek, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if you know it or not, but Clear Creek is closed for renovations this year. They are building comfort stations on each corner of the cabin circle (near Cabins 10 and 23) plus a full blown bath/showerhouse over on the other side of the creek from the main campground.

I'm not too keen on the changes, but there's not much I can do about it. I started going to Clear Creek with my parents in 1976. Only pit toilets back in those days.....

Because of Clear Creek being closed we're trying a couple of new spots this year. Ole Bull is one. Finally going to give Cook Forest a try. Never camped there in the past. What for? Clear Creek was only another 12 miles from home. We are also going to Black Moshannon with a day trip to Penn's Caves.

My wife and I actually spent our honeymoon at Clear Creek. 2009 will be our 25th wedding anniversary. I really, really want to go back there for that occasion. We kind of get some strange looks when we tell people we spent our honeymoon at a state park. I tell them high buck, tropical honeymoons are not the key to long lasting marriages !!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #13

Hey Joe Looking at your winter wonderland reminds me of why after 50+ years I left Butler PA. Currently we are in Austin TX and not looking back over our shoulders. When you can get it out, enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Right now, I'd like to be down South in Texas with you. Right when it seems like the weather is starting to improve, the forecast goes bad again.

Winter storm warnings again for tonight and tomorrow.....when is it going to end