Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone going this year?
Mardi Gras, which in French translates to Fat Tuesday, is officially the day before Ash Wednesday. The day is also commonly referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day and can occur anytime between February 3rd and March 9th, depending on when Easter is held that particular year. But as the celebrations in America and across the world have grown larger with each passing year, Mardi Gras, has evolved from one day into week long celebrations.
Mardi Gras 2008...the mere mention of these two words convey thoughts of: raucous celebrations, beads flying through the air, ear-to-ear grins plastered on the faces of millions of revelers, and of course floats parading through the streets of New Orleans!

MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone going this year?
Mardi Gras, which in French translates to Fat Tuesday, is officially the day before Ash Wednesday. The day is also commonly referred to as Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day and can occur anytime between February 3rd and March 9th, depending on when Easter is held that particular year. But as the celebrations in America and across the world have grown larger with each passing year, Mardi Gras, has evolved from one day into week long celebrations.
Mardi Gras 2008...the mere mention of these two words convey thoughts of: raucous celebrations, beads flying through the air, ear-to-ear grins plastered on the faces of millions of revelers, and of course floats parading through the streets of New Orleans!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #3

We have family that lives in New Orleans and have been multiple times. I think it is something that everyone should experience one time in their lives.

It's something you'll never forget

Make sure to leave all inhabitions at home and take lots of pictures!!

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 AM   #4

My oldest son will be flying down, getting a break from college. He has aunts,uncles, and cousins in Lafayette, La.
bud121156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was here in 2006 and now by accident, came down for cajun christmas of which we missed due to a sick wife but we decided to stay a little longer because of the cold on the home front.
Spent yesterday checking out Boubon street just for the heck of it before the parades and parties begin.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I'd give New Orleans another couple years to go before popping down that way, its still about 75% disaster area outside of New Orleans proper.

On the topic of Mardis Gras, if yer into the festival of sin and woman doing alot of lude things for beads, then I recommend it (Especially if yer single). If you're married, your wife might just give you a good wallop.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hate to differ with you Joseph, the only place you see anything lude is boubon street which is also the only place to find strip bars.
I was here the year after the hurricane for Mardi Gras and the wife was with me. We had a great time and there were children big and small at all the parades. So I take it that you are running on tv shows like cops and your have never been to Mardi Gras. Try it you might like it.
And as for damage from the hurricane you will find that damage everywhere it hit in Louisiana and Mississippi. It takes time to rebuild especially with the amount of damage and the lack of money and people to do the work.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Will be there
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MtManLee:
Hate to differ with you Joseph, the only place you see anything lude is boubon street which is also the only place to find strip bars.
I was here the year after the hurricane for Mardi Gras and the wife was with me. We had a great time and there were children big and small at all the parades. So I take it that you are running on tv shows like cops and your have never been to Mardi Gras. Try it you might like it.
And as for damage from the hurricane you will find that damage everywhere it hit in Louisiana and Mississippi. It takes time to rebuild especially with the amount of damage and the lack of money and people to do the work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm going from both what my parents experienced when they visited there back when they were younger and also what one my wife's co-workers brings back with him on his camera.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #10

Excuse Me
Coming to Mardi Gras can be a great experience. We do it(participate) every year as we live very near N.O.. For our local Westbank parades we park the MH right on the route and have 30to40 friends and relatives over. Lots to eat, drink yet retain the family atmosphere. Will bring the MH to the site next Wed.(1st come 1st served} as we have parades Fri. night, 2 Sat. afternoon and another Sunday afternoon. Then another local parade on Mardi Gras day.
Now about New Orleans proper, it just depends on what type of atmosphere you're looking for. Family, stay on St. Charles Av. above Jackson Av.. From there to and including Canal St. is more youth oriented and rowdier. Then there's the French Quarter, mainly Bourbon St. Raunchy is the best description, lots of drunk kids, lots of skin, ladies and guys? of a different persuasion, and people on balconies egging them on with the promise of beads if they bare it and they do. It's called "Chumming".
Now if you're easily offended, go to Bourbon St. and are offended, just find a mirror and cuss the person in it, not the city or it's people.
As far as nothing being done to rebuild, totally invalaid. A heck of a lot has been done even with the beaurecratic ineptitude and lack of people to work. Jose' and Pedro are the main reason what has been done has. Plus side of that is we have a lot of new authentic Mexican restaurants.
Dave
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dave you said it well. Maybe I will manage to come across ya by lookin for the RV. Got friends here in BR that take us to what they think are the better parades. One for sure we will see is the Spanish town. Another is one in Lafayette.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
TEO

There are quite a number of parades around New Orleans around the time of Mardi Gras. The biggest we saw was the Baccus parade along Canal Street. However, we experienced a nice parade in Pass Christian. The police let us park right beside the parade rout in our motorhome and we sat on the roof and watched the parade. A nice parade and a lot of very nice people.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote