Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
doc, what you missed is experience with driving on snow.

Residental streets frequently don't get plowed, especially if the snow is likely to melt in a couple weeks. I can't offer an opinion on what he was thinking while he was doing it.

I think a neighbor should speak to you first if they object to something before turning you in.

1998 Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4 K2500

2003 PT Cruiser
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #16
The idea of knocking down the drifts was a good one. You can drive a car on compacted snow but getting thru drifts is a real problem. Not all snowmobiles are all that loud. I used to have one and it didn't blast the neighborhood.

38' Dutch Star Pusher + wife + cat...FULL TIMERS
Terry McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #17
Thank you Curt and Terry, exactly our thoughts, the neighbours just had to ask hubby to stop and he would have. ( I didn't know he was on the snowmobile until after it all happened so it couldn't have been all that loud.)
So, I got stuck on my way to work yesterday. Luckily the mailman offered to help push me out. Then when I got home from work there were STILL two cars stuck on our road.
Well, the temperature is supposed to be +1 C to +4 C for the next few days so hopefully the snow will melt so I can start planning the first camping trip of the season!!
Jennifer (John's better half)

jen&john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Jen&John, being from Calgary I understand that most Edmontonians are like that. Here in Calgary that kind of behavior towards a neighbor would never happen. (Calgary vs Edmonton rivalry had nothing to do with this observation)
Old 03-22-2006, 03:09 AM   #19
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Invite the ladies over and call a truce. The fighting will only escalate things and never achieve anything good. Invite them over for tea and cookies. Just say you want to put everything behind you and start anew. You don't have to like each other but that might bring you to some level of civility. It's worth a try. I always find open and honest face to face conversation to work the best along with an open mind.
Lynnvt & George (DH), Sam the traveling pooch
2014 Primetime Crusader 32' fifth wheel
Lynnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 AM   #20
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we used to live in an uptight place like that with odd bylaws about lenght of grass 4" , number of trees, color of plants, species, color of wood fencing, no strong vinyl ones allowed, front door decorations etc.
I was the first person to buy a home there and had no idea just how ridicoulus it was until folks started moving in.
i find it humorous now as well
but calling the BYLAW police if a sidewalk isnt shovelled... I would get a kick out of that, does the same bylaw ensure the community in which you live also clear the roads?

in our former one you were not allowed to blow grass clippings in the road while mowing, or park on the street, cars had to be garaged (but garages were to small for real vehicles) rvs and boats had to be NOT seen from the street or by any other neighbor,

but the veiw out my back door was gorgeous 1000 acres of untouched florida wetlands complete with deer, snakes and ospreys, alligators and other critters. I hated to move.
but while there we practiced teh good neighbor routine and won over the ones on either side.
sometimes folks whom need attention are teh worse ones, they have no life so they feel they must destroy yours. positive energy will go a long way, but on the other hand, tolerance can go only so far before action must be taken.
keep very good records of calls and vehicles blockings etc. i wouldnt go out of my way to clear their sidewak or driveway any more.
hope it works out for the best,
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #21
We also had a difficult neighbor. Quite a few over the years. This one particular neighbor did not like kids, but moved into a neighborhood full of them. Anyway, she was very picky about her yard. Our bylaws did not allow the front yard to be fenced, but she did not want any kids on her grass (we had no sidewalks). The kids tended to cut through her yard between houses (I would have as a kid as well, the whole shortest distance between two points thing). Anyway, one day she comes pounding on my door. I answer. She starts yelling and ranting about my son, 7 at the time, running across her grass. I knew how she felt. She spent every waking minute tending to her beautiful yard and garden. Anyway before she went on too long, I touched her hand and gently said "I am so sorry, I will talk to my son about it and try not to let it happen again. I know how hard you work on your beautiful yard, I don't want anything to happen to it." She stopped dead in her tracks, jaw dropped, and smiled. She said "Thank you" and walked back home. I was thinking in the back of my head "That woman is so ridiculous, it is just a yard" I wanted to tell her "kids are like that you crazy woman". I did not. My son was near me and when I closed the door looked at me like I had betrayed him. I turned to him and told him that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I explained to him that some people are just a littly nutty and we need to treat them with the same respect we treat everyone else. I told him that I did not think he was wrong, but to please take the long way to his friends house because it would make her happy. He agreed. We did have a few more incidents when a stray ball would get kicked into her yard or our dog got out, but I always acted as though her unreasonable request or reaction was perfectly understandable and she never gave me a hard time. She yelled at the other neighbors children, threatened the others with the police, got into yelling fights with a friend of mine next door, etc. She baked me cookies, got my son off the bus one day when I was running late so that I would not have to go to the school and pick him up, etc. She was still a little nutty and griped a lot about silly little things, but they were important to her, so I tried to respect that. Still think she needs to be medicated, but a little kindness and respect goes a long way.

OK, that was just a sample of how I handled a difficult neighbor. You may go to them and apologize for the snowmobile (I know you were right and they were wrong, but just hear me out) Tell them "I am so sorry that the snowmobile bothered you so much. We were just trying to pack the snow.... If we had known it would bother you, we would have not done it or talked to you about it first." OK, so you are just patronizing them, but if it makes life easier, just swallow your pride and be the bigger person. Whenever they complain, no matter how petty, apologize and tell them you understand (even if they are wacky and grating on your last nerve) and will try to be more careful in the future. People love to hear that they are right and like to be complimented. Remember that piece of psychology. I use it on dh all the time. LOL You would be amazed what a little shmoozing will get you. It may feel strange at first, but when you see the results, you will be glad you did. You never know, they may return the kindness one day and surprise you like my neighbor did.

Sorry for the long ramble, just my 2 cents.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:23 AM   #22
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Boy Sandra, I want to be your neighbor!
Clearly I agree Mamaloya. Another thing is that their rants may sound ridiculous to you but they make complete sense to the neighbor. So acknowledging them and their thoughts (whether or not they are right) is useful. I think these individuals are often bored and lonely so if you give them some time and attention, it makes all the difference in the world.
Lynnvt & George (DH), Sam the traveling pooch
2014 Primetime Crusader 32' fifth wheel
Lynnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One place we lived had a couple that were not happy unless they were telling you how to run your life and you had better do it their way. They caused more grief for the neighbors than you can imagine and they could not understand why everyone hated them so much.

For those reasons we have since lived in more rural areas and folks did not care if you left you horse trailer in the side drive or did not mow you grass to a specificied length or rake the leaves.

Life is too short to worry about those issues. I want to enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs as well.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
One place we lived had a couple that were not happy unless they were telling you how to run your life and you had better do it their way. They caused more grief for the neighbors than you can imagine and they could not understand why everyone hated them so much.

For those reasons we have since lived in more rural areas and folks did not care if you left you horse trailer in the side drive or did not mow you grass to a specificied length or rake the leaves.

Life is too short to worry about those issues. I want to enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs as well.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I knew we had something in common Ken. My neighbors are lucky if I get the grass cut before its 8" high. My ex-neighbor told me once that I shouldn't mow so often because it was making him look bad.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #25
We have a law here that you might have there also. Can't block a drive way with a vehicle. I would think a call to the local police would quickly get that car removed and probably a ticket as well. Not that you would do that to get even or anything like that but it might be fun to have it towed.
God Bless America

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you have a couple of "good ones" there.

We moved 12 times in my working career and had all kinds of neighbors. My grandpa's old addage of, "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" seemed to work more times than not.

Drown them in nice, nice and see if that will help the situation.
Happy Trails, Gary
2006 Excursion 39S, Freightliner, Cat 350
2010 Honda Fit and Buster, the wonder dog
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #27
we had neibours like this.finally we ended up moving to get away from the. but not till after i had a nervious breakdown. we couldnt sell our home and had to give it back to the bank.

anyway. keep a journal. then you can charge them with hurassment. talk to your neiboursand get to know them. tell them what is happening. maybe some of them seeing the other side of the story will become your friends.we unfortunatly lived in a block with 4 houses that were relitive and more that were thier friends.

ps:take a picture of the dog pooping ,they will be fined. have the police tow the vieacle blocking you drivway.

then go on line to the freebe sites and send them all the crap you can.they will be so busy trying to figure out what that is all about!!

or send them flowers. smile at them, wave...kill them with kindness.

just dont take it till you loose your mind , like we did

glenda and grant from southeast saskatchewan
Glenda and Grant

Owners of a 27 ft 1975
veercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 AM   #28
I'd love someone to take our neighbors in the back off our hands. They moved in when I was 11-the Mother is the wack job of the century! She doesn't do anything to them, the neighbors are the ones causing the problems in her book since we are "bothering" her kids. She yelled at my 3-5 year olds(at the time) because her 17 year old was sleeping at 5pm in the summer-he was drinking all afternoon and had passed out, and my kids were too loud on the swingset!

Fastfoward-I am now 40. Her "children" ages 33,31,27 and 25 all still live at home. The LOVE keg parties in the summer. Every 4th of July the like to fire off mortar rounds(AKA fireworks), the ones the fire department does. Course they think it's hysterical to FIRE them right at our house, pool and camper. My pool cover was damaged one year. The police took 4 hours to come over-they'd been shooting stuff off from 3pm to 11pm that night. Shot one right at the police. They were warned-stopped for 45 min went right back to it. Police came again-kids got mouthy-but no one was arrested. They got mad at my Hubby because he turned the hose on them. Our homes are close together in the village. We had them shooting a bb gun for 3 hours one afternoon back there and aiming towards our house. The mother called the police on US because we were BBQing hotdogs over a woodfired grill-SHE insisted to the police we had to put it out since we were BURNING.

We are praying lightening strikes their house. But it won't. The Mother is moving to Florida to help care for her elderly father and leaving the house to the kids. Oh joy.

I can't wait to move away from here. Stress isn't the word. But my 82 year old Mother lives next door and we help her out. Can't leave her alone with no other family. The day comes I can leave the wack family behind I'll be celebrating! Now if we could just find a nice place out of NY to move to......

I can fully sympathize with you about the neigbors.

2014 Jayco Flight 22FB

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote