Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Medicare in Canada

I have heard from several folks that my Medicare will not pay medical while we are in Canada. Sent a email to ask, but haven't had a response yet. Anyone have experience with this? I know my supplement will not pay if Medicare does not.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Even though we are neighbours, we do live in separate countries. When I travel to your country I buy medical insurance for the length of my stay. I don't know what your Medicare covers when you are in Canada but checking out a medical travel type insurance may be what you need.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Medicare had no foreign coverage. Canada is a foreign country. QED.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Even though we are neighbours, we do live in separate countries. When I travel to your country I buy medical insurance for the length of my stay. I don't know what your Medicare covers when you are in Canada but checking out a medical travel type insurance may be what you need.
I agree, I think your on your own in Canada when it comes to medicare they dont recognize it because they have their own type of "Medicare." Travel health insurance is probably the way to go.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Our health insurance doesn't cover us going from province to province. I live in BC and have to get travel insurance to go to Alberta and the east. Weird system we have up here and you guys want to emulate it. When the government gets involved, be afraid; be very, very afraid!
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
misinformed

Possum, you may want to educate yourself before you try to educate others.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
What part of what I said would you like to dispute? The part about needing health insurance to go to other provinces? You may want to ask you health care provider about this because a guy in Nanaimo was just on the news about being on the hook for a whack of money that BC healthcare wouldn't cover for medical bills from Ontario.

Maybe you should call the people at BC health and ask them about it as I KNOW you need to buy health coverage for travel outside of BC but within Canada.

From BC Health
Quote:
You should be aware that your provincial coverage may not pay for all the health care costs you may incur outside the province, and the difference can be substantial. For example, B.C. pays $75 (Cdn) a day for emergency in-patient hospital care, while the average cost in the U.S. often exceeds $1000 (US) a day, and can be as high as $10,000 (US) a day in intensive care. For this reason, you are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance from a private insurer before you leave the province, whether you are going to another part of Canada or outside the country - even if you plan to be away for only a day. See Medical Care Outside B.C. for more information.
Over to your statement about the need to educate oneself ...
Quote:
Out of Province Emergency Medical Care

Most physicians in other Canadian provinces and territories (except Quebec) will bill their own provincial health plan for services provided if you present your valid B.C. CareCard. The provinces recover the funding monthly between each other.

When travelling in Quebec or outside of Canada, you will probably be required to pay for your medical services and seek reimbursement later from MSP (use an Out of Country Claim Form).

B.C. residents are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance when travelling to other Canadian provinces to cover the cost of services not included in the reciprocal agreement between provinces.
Never argue with someone married to a retired government services person. I was just passing on what I knew to be fact.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ON - yes, but AB - NO
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you a member of FMCA? The new FMCAssist program has an option that you can purchase which will take the place of your Mediscare coverage. The cost varies depending on what and how much coverage you want. It is good in any country but not in the USA,
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good info, this never would have crossed my mine. We travel out of the country every year!

Wow!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Double check your Medicare supplemental (Medigap) policy. A number of the Medigap plans do offer "Foreign Travel Emergency" coverage.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
ON - yes, but AB - NO
TW I was told by the health office people in Victoria we need extra coverage everywhere in Canada as BC pays the lowest amounts for everything and the other jurisdictions are not happy with this so they bill you separately for the balance.

We did an east coast trip a couple of years ago and that's when we found out and got this rude awakening. We had to buy coverage policies for each province we were going to be in and they were really put out that we didn't know how long we wewre going to be away and how long in each province.

I got them really mad when I asked if they ever planned to do a trip with no time restrictions. Bureaucrats are weird to say the least.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Out of Province

BC's health coverage will cover you outside the province for the amount that they would pay for the same procedure purchased inside the province. That is considerably different than not covering you outside the province.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterd503 View Post
BC's health coverage will cover you outside the province for the amount that they would pay for the same procedure purchased inside the province. That is considerably different than not covering you outside the province.
You seem to know just enough to be dangerous

The fact that a person can easily get saddled with an unexpectedly huge medical bill when traveling with inadequate medical coverage within their own country is the real problem. The guy I was nattering about in Nanaimo got billed $50,000.00 from Ontario for procedures the BC Health people would not pay.

You believe what you want from where you live, and I'll know what I need to do re healthcare from where I live. If you think the Michael Moore documentary on the Canadian health care system is even more than remotely truthful then I wish your country luck when the truth finally dawns on you.

Nothing is free.