Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
medicare / medigap coverage - can i be denied?

folks,

i'll soon begin medicare coverage and have been holding off on a surgical procedure until i had medicare / medigap coverage. (i have been a VA patient for ~5 years but chose not to have their preferred procedure.)

a friend just mentioned that the previous existing condition for which i have recently seen a non-VA physician may be excluded from coverage for a period of time. does this ring true for those of you with specific knowledge? i tend to color within the lines so all reasonable workaround / options are appreciated.

thx in advance.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
MnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
folks,

i'll soon begin medicare coverage and have been holding off on a surgical procedure until i had medicare / medigap coverage. (i have been a VA patient for ~5 years but chose not to have their preferred procedure.)

a friend just mentioned that the previous existing condition for which i have recently seen a non-VA physician may be excluded from coverage for a period of time. does this ring true for those of you with specific knowledge? i tend to color within the lines so all reasonable workaround / options are appreciated.

thx in advance.
Go the FAQ section of Medicare.gov. It's all covered there. It may or may not be covered depending on when you apply.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnP View Post
Go the FAQ section of Medicare.gov. It's all covered there. It may or may not be covered depending on when you apply.
Thanks very much, I did that.

It was unclear to me after reading, which is why I came here, hoping to find someone with specific experience similar to mine.

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

Where are you located and what is your part B date on your Medicare card. Please don’t provide any other information.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Where are you located and what is your part B date on your Medicare card. Please don’t provide any other information.

CA

june
Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Coverage

If you can wait till they have the open enrollment your supplement goes into effect as soon as you get. I have Mutual of Omaha it went into effect as soon as I paid it, and they can't ask about any pre exzisting conditions. Good Luck on it.
okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie mopar View Post
If you can wait till they have the open enrollment your supplement goes into effect as soon as you get. I have Mutual of Omaha it went into effect as soon as I paid it, and they can't ask about any pre exzisting conditions. Good Luck on it.

gotcha, thx very much ... that’s what i’ll need to do if i am ineligible under current rules ... i’d prefer to have it sooner than later, though.

thx again, much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
medicare / medigap coverage - can i be denied?

Suplimemts to my reading and understanding are not rated and you must be taken at the normal rate. While the rate varies from location and companies , the coverage for like lettered plans are identical . If you wait over a certain time from When you are first eligible ( 65?) or select none or some other managed care plan you can be rated at the later time , meaning your condition can be evaluated and the premium adjusted for your condition / denied , even at open enrollment
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Suplimemts to my reading and understanding are not rated and you must be taken at the normal rate. While the rate varies from location and companies , the coverage for like lettered plans are identical . If you wait over a certain time from When you are first eligible ( 65?) or select none or some other managed care plan you can be rated at the later time , meaning your condition can be evaluated and the premium adjusted for your condition / denied , even at open enrollment
understand, thx very much.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a recent change.. When I went on Medicare and got my Medi-gap coverage via my Retirement pre-existing conditions did not matter. They were not allowed to exclude.

Thus. I can not tell you the CURRENT rules. I do know changes have been made.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #11

I took SS and Medicare last year in the month of my 65th birthday to get away from Obamacare. I take injections for Wet Macular Degeneration in one of my eyes that’s quite expensive. I have various other less serious issues. My open enrollment period was 90 days prior and no issues at all. I ended up with subpart G and a Mutual of Omaha supplement. Good luck on your situation.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
thx for the feedback, folks, here is an update to relate my discovery process & resolution to bring my participation in this thread to a close.

after reading various sites (SS, Medicare & OldeGuy-populated interwebz threads) the answer to my initial wasn't 100% clear to me. and yep, i get what you may be thinking: "it says on *that* link that your pre-existing conditions are / are not covered ... it says that right there -- what's the problem?". as you might expect, many links referred to in **many** threads / sources are outdated and since we're talking my health / financial risk i wanted to be correct in my decision. (for me a major hitch in relying on a particular site / resource was that on my new-to-me medicare card it says my plan A and plan B are effective on x date but when i log into my medicare site it says i've got plan A but not plan B.

in the end i called aarp's / united health care medicare insurance plan program, rinsed through the details with them - there are no previous condition restrictions - and purchased a f coverage plan to cover excess costs in my upcoming procedure(s). (i will continue to use the VA pharmacy for prescriptions.)

while on the phone with UHC i asked about my plan B coverage - in force or not, how do i pay for it? she said if my new card said it was effective x date, it was effective then and she believed SS would deduct that amount from my monthly SS ... but that i should contact SS to confirm. when i called SS the phone system informed me that my wait time was "1 hr, 37 mins" and i bailed.

sigh.

that's my answer so far and i'm sticking with it until informed otherwise ;-)

as always, YMMV and the feedback i'm providing is worth **exactly** what you've paid for it.

thx to those who provided input, very much appreciated.

Tags
cover