Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers
One of the traits George Washington was working on when he died was "Speak not except to improve yourself, or others, avoid trifling conversation".Ed
Apologies for the trifle, but maybe it was the wooden teeth.

Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We have met all kinds of people in CGs, from friendly to unfriendly. Some seem oblivious to others. They're like people everywhere. To break the ice we'll usually comment on their rig or their dog or whatever they have that can be commented on.

We always leave someone alone who just drove in and is trying to get set-up.
We've always been of the opinion that it's bad form to to interrupt someone trying to set up or is preparing to leave. Even the most seasoned RVer can be distracted from the job at hand and make a serious mistake due to that distraction.

In two separate instances I have been interrupted while preparing to leave a CG by a neighbor that I never even saw the entire time we were there with the words, "Oh, you're leaving?". Then they want to chew the fat for an hour when all I want to do is get on the road.

Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
Well thanks to the last post, I am no longer allowed to go about the RV park because my DW didn't know social intercourse went on in campgrounds.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
On our two trips, we haven't met many people, probably because we are not there long enough so far and we've been there out of season where there are not that many rvs. Next trip we will be. I hope folks are friendly because my hubby's main love is talking to people. If it's doable he'll do it. The kind of guy who never met a stranger. I'm not anti social, but not good with social chit chat sometimes.
Paul and Peggy: two old folks;
Holiday Rambler Ambassador, diesel pusher, 2001
3bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
You will quickly know if they want to talk or not. If they look uninterested leave them alone. Most of us love to talk and meet new people,, for awhile but, that doesn't mean I want to become your best friend !. On the other hand I've sometimes been treated rudely by some people just for saying hello. It can go both ways, just like in life.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers
The answers here are by those than actually WANT social intercourse, as per the original post.

However, there are many of us that will tolerate nothing more than a minute or two of social banter. While I enjoy talking to someone about a specific topic of which we both (or all) have knowledge, I cannot tolerate (enjoy may be a better word if you are sensitive) ranting conversation.

One of the traits George Washington was working on when he died was "Speak not except to improve yourself, or others, avoid trifling conversation".

Another favorite saying of mine is "While conversation may improve your knowledge, silence is the school go genius.

But this is just me, I'm not anti-social, but I AM A-Social, as are many, many people.

Damn straight. Well said. Idle chatter is a waste of time.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
This is an interesting topic that I really never thought much about. We are pretty social people but I also don't care for ranting discussion. We have stayed at a couple different campgrounds since we started our trip on Nov. 1 and have talked with people at all but one. That was Greenbelt National Park outside of Washington D.C. I think the main reason we didn't talk with anyone there is there weren't too many camping and we were out early and back late. I did see some people while at the campground but that was just a different atmosphere. I think the people that were camping there were there to get away. It was a very peaceful stay.
travelinwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Originally Posted by djbmsu
Well thanks to the last post, I am no longer allowed to go about the RV park because my DW didn't know social intercourse went on in campgrounds.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
I usually get the cold shoulder at most camp sites by most campers, not that we are loud, disrespectful, or obnoxious by any means. It just seems that most folks expect the worst when you pull in with an RV and a trailer full of off road motorcycles, mountain bikes, climbing gear and that sort of thing. On the other hand your pretty popular out at the track, trail, climbing wall etc. Everyone wants to use the rest room, be warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot, and for sure dry when it's wet! I wouldn't change it though, it's always a good time!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
A simple Hello is usually sufficient to get a response. If you don't ever initiate, you may go through life not meeting anyone. Think of all the chance encounters that may have turned into long term friendships that you may have missed. Then again sometimes I think, why did I say that. Just never know!
Gary & Janet
'12 American Eagle
'06 Jeep Wrangler
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As mentioned just be yourself. I have yet visited a park that the neighbors have been anything but cordial. We've been doing this for a long time and maybe we have just been lucky but if that is the case I just hope our luck lives on. Rv'ers are GREAT!!
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
We never have had a problem meeting new folks. After the hello you can usually tell if they want more conversation or not. There have been a couple times where I have initiated conversation and it was like putting a $100 in a jukebox that had no plug to unplug. I have met way more good than bad.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

I agree that nighboring people in a campground are friendly and alwaysilling to make new friends. Some of them have good ideas and are knowledgeable about things in the area. Some can want to talk when you are disconnecting and that is not a good idea because you may forget what you were doing and that could make troubles for you.

We are spending Thanksgiving in Branson and met a fellow IRv2er, Patricia Martin and Eric. We knew they were going to be here but haven't met them before. It was a very pleasant meeting and they are a nice couple plus they have two dogs that you don't even know they are there. It is really nice to be people who you correpond with on these forums.

People in campgrounds should be friendly but not overly friendly unless the other party wants that. One can also be helpful to their neighbor or learn from their neighbor.

Enjoy your camping experience!
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
One of the great joys in life for me has always been meeting other campers. Back in the 1960's when I was a kid, my folks used to let us play frisbee with the "hippys" and a great time was had by all.

From that point on, I've always given a nod or a hello to campers as I walk the loop. Some seem indifferent, but I figure that's their problem.

I almost always find a cute little couple in a cute little camper that I get to liking as good, albeit temporary friends. A offer of a hot cup of coffee or even an adult beverage is almost always welcomed with a stop by!

Enjoy life - camp more often!

2002 LandRover Discovery II | 2013 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer |
2013 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer

WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote