Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I find when I am in the lower 48 my Alaska license plates tend to start conversations.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
So you pull into a crowded campground or "resort", set out your chairs and there you are, surrounded by new neighbors, for a day or two.

The above is the antithesis of my typical camping experience. My house/lwork/life is full of people, and the whole point of getting away from it all is to get away from it ALL.

Including- even perhaps most specifically- people.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee
I find when I am in the lower 48 my Alaska license plates tend to start conversations.
I have an Alaskan plate that I bought up there in 04 on the front of my MH. It starts a lot of conversations as well. I used to have a Bahamas Plate there and it worked better. :-)

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #32

I Ride a Honda Gold Wing that we tow with us behind the 5th wheel when we travel. When I take it out of the trailer it usually draws a crowd... some folks like to let me know how dangerous they are, doncha know.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From our travels it seems that many are currious of anyone..my wife said she was surprised that I did not get lost as a child..I find strangers just friends i have not met yet...we also pull a trailer with our Harleys behind us...if we are staying for a time many are currious of the bikes and many times they are blown away that my wife rides her own...

I believe that 99% of this world is filled with good people...but many do not have the skills to speak to strangers...so I will be forward enough to say hello...someone mentioned always let someone finish talking...that is a very smart thing..when you cut off someones conversation they feel that your not interested...we bought this RV to travel in comfort and meet new people..
Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #34

I can't wait to get out and go camping and meet people. There are many interesting places to go and people to meet. If you want to get away from it all, pitch a tent or park your MH in the middle of the woods or desert. I find it ironic that people who don't want to meet people participate in a social forum like this site. So if you see me camping say hi, I may look old, ornery and unfriendly but I've been told I'm a softy inside. Cheers
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

The above is the antithesis of my typical camping experience. My house/lwork/life is full of people, and the whole point of getting away from it all is to get away from it ALL.

Including- even perhaps most specifically- people.

At the campgrounds I frequent there are usually a couple of camping spots that are out of the way and a little more private. If you pull into one of them you can be alone and not be bothered. But, there also are some up front that are more social and if you stay in those spots people may say hi on their way by. But, If you don't strike up a conversation with them then they will leave you alone.

Please though, don't growl at your neighbors if there kids can occasionally be seen by you or if the ball rolls into your camp site. I have had people growl at us for just that.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
I have made a lot of RV friends at CG's. I get a pretty quick feel for folks that are gonna talk to you. Timing is everything though. Know when to talk and when to leave. I've a fewCG friends meet me at the door first thing in the morning and walk me to the door at night. Over all folks at CG are a lot like folks in this forum. Great people to talk too.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Walk the dog. Always gets a comment on how pretty she is. It's a small world out there. Our first time in Florida, we camped next to some folks from NC. Turns out we are from the same town.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Please though, don't growl at your neighbors if there kids can occasionally be seen by you or if the ball rolls into your camp site. I have had people growl at us for just that.
I guess I came across as a Curmudgeon-of-the Campground type...

I should have qualified my post by adding that I rarely camp in campgrounds for the reasons stated, but when I do I'm just as friendly as pie...especially since those are the occasions when I might have my Grandkids along, and most likely it'll be their ball rolling into someone else's camp!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I guess I came across as a Curmudgeon-of-the Campground type...

I should have qualified my post by adding that I rarely camp in campgrounds for the reasons stated, but when I do I'm just as friendly as pie...especially since those are the occasions when I might have my Grandkids along, and most likely it'll be their ball rolling into someone else's camp!
Ya, that post wasn't directed at you. I know it kinda looked that way but, I didn't know how else to word it.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #40

Meeting new people is one of the best reasons to go camping. I know lots of guys who buy a medium sized boat and dock them at the local marina just so they have someplace to go and talk with others who have the same interest. The boat never leaves the dock. Others don't buy anthing but go to bars and talk with others who enjoy drinking or televised sports. In each one of those situations, if you want human interaction, all you have to do is wave a hand, nod your head in their direction or say hello. If they don't respond keep walking because they are not interesting anyway. My most favorite things I like to talk about are other peoples rigs, other peoples travels, other peoples dogs, other peoples favorite camping spots or attractions and what other people do/did for a living. We all dream about that perfect camping spot next to a babbling brook where you can set up a folding chair, listen to the birds and smell the crisp and clean air all day long. In truth, I can sit in one spot for no more than 15 minutes.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
We've always been of the opinion that it's bad form to to interrupt someone trying to set up or is preparing to leave. Even the most seasoned RVer can be distracted from the job at hand and make a serious mistake due to that distraction.
This is how we feel.

Quote:
In two separate instances I have been interrupted while preparing to leave a CG by a neighbor that I never even saw the entire time we were there with the words, "Oh, you're leaving?". Then they want to chew the fat for an hour when all I want to do is get on the road.
This has also happened to us. The last time we saw the family all the time on their site and they and us would wave. It wasn't until the morning we were trying to get the First-Up and GanderMountain screenroom taken down in preparing to leave that they all came over and said basically the same thing, "Oh, you're leaving?" Then their children started asking questions about the cats...... after about 15 minutes we turned back to our preparations and they took the hint and left. We didn't want to be unfriendly, but we were busy and had to hit the road before check-out time.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
I have met a lot of nice frendly people in campgrounds. I do agree that when someone is packing up to go that is not the time to start a chat with them. We have a Chocolate Lab and when we walk him in the campgrounds (carrying a poop bag in the pocket) the "Buds" carrys his cloth toy in his mouth. That starts a lot of friendly conversations.

I have gained a lot of useful tidbits of information from other people in the campground. Places to dine at, sites that would normally be missed, etc. I remembe a time when I first got my coach ahd was towing my Jeep. I have a blue Ox towbar and was struggling to disconnect the Jeep from the coach. A gentilman approached me and mentioned suggested that I push down on the levers to release the tension...... It was a learning moment that I have since passed on.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote