Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Parent taught 4 kids to drive and tried to hammer into their heads that most accidents are caused by 3 things: Backing up, tailgating, and unnecessary lane changes. I was on a run to Austin from Dallas in an 18 wheeler one evening when a p/u truck came up the on ramp to I-35 and there was a car in the passing lane preventing a courtesy lane change. I could see no effort on the part of the p/u truck to slow down and I lost sight of him in my mirror. I didn't hear or feel anything but in the next mile or so he pulled up on my left and tried to get me to pull over and stop. I saw no reason to do that and continued down the road. The p/u truck then fell back changed lanes and started up an off ramp. The truck was a light blue color and on the drivers side there were black circles on the side the same size as R22.5 truck tires. I pulled over several miles South of Dallas and inspected my trailer finding no evidence that there was a collision, but I'm sure the guy got an up close look at my trailer tires.
Don't change lanes unless you absolutely have to. Slow down and let them in is preferable to changing lanes.

Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
Sounds like hit and run...

He hut you and tried to stop you...to blame yiu for him hitting you then left...

I was taught to look for trailers when merging and to fill a hole...

During high school driver training I was first in rotation and on freeway day told to get on freeway and of course heavy traffic at speed but there was a nice hole to fill so I punch it and am at speed in the ramp just about to fill the hole and instructor who seldom paid attention slams on brake and almost caused 2 accidents was upset as he thought I was driving too fast...

I stated he called it the acceleration lane the day before and told us how to properly merge and that I was doing exactly what he told us to do...

I also stated that everyone needed to be paying attention to their "space cushion"..

Have seen many close calls from those morons in a line of merging cars that will try to jump out and go arround the car merging in front of them and almost hit a car merging from 1 to 2 as they try 3 to 2 or those who just slip being the pickup without looking to see the trailer behind it.

Some folks are just not aware of how to drive and some are trained wrong as well...

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #17
And some just don't care!
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 65MPH limit is not a hard number and you can exceed for a few miles without causing problems if necessary. What you don't want to do is cruise all day at 70MPH+. Heat build up over time is a problem.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #19
It is a pet peeve of ours when we move over to let a driver merge and then they do not speed up to clear us so we can get back over. By the time they do, there is a big pile of traffic stacked up behind us and as soon as the other car clears, they start passing us on the right. All we want to do is get back over right and out of their way but people are so impatient. We just hang out in the left lane until we can safely get back over.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #20

Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I did slow down, so did the car. I also tried pulling ahead, so they sped up.
There are just some people out there that don't have a clue. I would just stay in that lane and ignore them. They will eventually encounter another vehicle in their lane that will mandate them speeding up or slowing down. Then you have the space to get back to your lane.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #21
And then there was our idiot. I79 south bound near Harmony, PA. Car coming up on ramp, I have a ton of truck traffic on my left no where to go. Truck in front of me so I can't speed up. I sense car is gonna be a problem. He's pacing me, I drop speed to encourage him to get going, flash lights etc
He just keeps coming . When he decided he was at wrong speed his front end is out onto highway, I'm on the irons. Fool stops dead. He could have just stayed on wide berm. I came almist to a dead stop on highway as he sits and looks at me.
One reason I hate interstates. Give a good old 2 lane highway any day.
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #22
The vehicles in the traveling lanes are under no obligation to move, thus making merging of the on ramp vehicles easier.
It is the responsibility of the on ramp "merger" vehicle to enter traffic safely. If they have to stop and wait that's just the way it is.
I have run into similar situations as the OP. Therefore I stay my course. The merging car can wait. Sometimes a horn toot is necessary to wake up the merging vehicle driver.
Generally, I"ll drive in the second to right outside lane in order to avoid merging traffic. Tractor-trailers do the same thing.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #23

It is the responsibility of the car entering the hwy to do so safely. Some people don't think that rule applies to them and that the are exempt. That's why many states have put yield signs on their on ramps. It still doesn't matter. Those same people still think it doesn't apply to them.

I rarely drive in the far right lane.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #24
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA every on ramp is considered to have a "Yield" sign on it. It's in the drivers manuals too, but lots of people don't seem to remember it!!
In 2004 I was coming back from Nappanee, some older woman in the slow lane ahead of me decided to slow down to about 20 to let traffic from an on ramp in. I narrowly avoided running over her!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #25
What do they teach these days for driver's licenses? Seems to me it's about unfriendly actions, rudeness, and I'm first attitudes. Road rage incidents are constant and rising, and it's just going to get worse as traffic becomes one tangle mess,coast to coast.....
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #26
Freightliner Owners Club
In a long discussion this subject some time ago, members posted their states handbook on merging and 1 or 2 indicated both the merging traffic and established vehicles should both give way to "coordinate" entry. Totally alien and certainly not compatible with most rules of the road.. From that discussion: http://www.pe.com/articles/freeway-6...-handbook.html
And look at post 97- Why does merging traffic expect us to slow down & let them in

or follow the signs

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #27
LOL, I'd even pay extra with our Canadian dollar at its shrunken value to have sign sets like that errected along the Canadian and U.S. highways we have traveled if it would help adjust the driving habits we have witnessed at on ramps and off ramps. ;-)
2014 DS 4018, EMS-HW-50C, Auto-Former, TST-TPMS,
2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Blue Ox, AF1.
TinMan Trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #28
Originally Posted by Ernie. View Post
I did slow down, so did the car. I also tried pulling ahead, so they sped up.
I drive a big truck limited to 65 mph... After years of putting up with ,, umm,, not so smart people,,, I rarley change lanes In Traffic... I still will get over if I can safely,, BUT I have run IDIOTS off on the shoulder... I have had that happen to me So many times,,, I slow down, so do they... I can only go fast... I say "You have Two Pedals" ,,, better use one.... Sorry bout it.....
I might also add,,, its NOT a good idea to drive next to a big truck... (or close behind)... Ever seen a tire blow ???? I have.....

Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote