Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #29

To me it depends on the location - if traveling in a large area such as LA basin or any other big city area I'll stay one lane to the left of the slow lane but if out in the country on a two lane interstate I'll stay in the right lane and move to the next lane if traffic allows or slow down well in advance to allow plenty of space for the merging (idiots) traffic. I kind of feel any lane change is a potential accident so tend to stay in one lane whenever I can.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #30
IC2

Merges onto interstates is never fun as someone always seems to have a target painted on your vehicle. I thought I was the only one that had this problem. Well, not really. Since we live only about 2 miles from I-87, have the pleasure of meeting up with the (e)merging idiots, yes, idiots, on a regular basis since this road has become the best way to go between two points as the secondary's are often in terrible shape or overloaded with giggling soccer moms on cell phones traffic. It isn't too bad driving without a 5er hooked on since you can maneuver some, that is until the Saratoga summer horse race meet, then all bets (pun intended) are off as the idiots seem to mutate into total morons. The local tow company's and body shops have their work cut out for them for those 6 plus weeks. It is what it is and doubt if there will ever be a change as long as driver's licenses are so easily obtainable and peoples brains are wired to not live beyond their own 3x3xheight space. I wont even get into how millions of gallons of booze and many thousands of pounds of illicit drugs addles driver's thought processes

Old 04-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had several close calls due to someone pulling in front of us and then hitting their brakes, but one merging near miss lives on in my memory. It was the first 'big' trip we took with the 5er. We were driving on the outskirts of DC when a gal entering the beltway decided to push her way on to the highway, she di not even look until she realized we were not going anywhere. (we could not, all lanes were full) The sheer look of of outright fear is permanently etched in my brain, her mouth fell open as she looked up at the massive unit beside her and she hit her brakes......
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #32

My first plan if I can't/don't want to get over is to make a little gap in front of me for the car to pull into.

When plan A doesn't work I try to figure out if I should slow down or speed up to let them in. I've had less anxious moments with slowing down than speeding up.

When plan A and B don't work I hit the "speed racer" button and saw the offending car in half. This is by far the most fun way to forever rid us of these incompetent drivers.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
My guess is that they don't teach new drivers how to properly Merge anymore!
What a shame!
I just always drive my lane - period !
They will slow down or stop while I just drive on !
Don't panic at all as they will always be forced to yield !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Don't panic at all as they will always be forced to yield !
Or not!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #35

Never had any Mergers hit me , Sometimes you just get caught on that outside lane , Just drive your lane and keep going !
Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #36

Today it was idiot in number 1 lane realizing while he was insisting on going faster than everyone else that he was passing his ramp and made an almost 90 degree turn at 80 in traffic to cross lane 2 and 3 to exit.

Having a CHP radio in the truck and hearing a dispatch to go get him is rewarding a bit
Old 04-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Obvious it all depends on the situation - but generally speaking ......

If I'm in the right lane, I'll cancel the cruise control or remove foot from accelerator pedal and "coast" for a second to let a merging vehicle make it into my lane we're "neck and neck" at the merge point. I studiously avoid hitting the brakes (or engaging the engine brake) unless a collision with a merging vehicle is imminent.

I will move over IF traffic easily permits it (i.e., there's nobody beside me and lots of open road behind me).

I will stay in the 2nd lane in when driving in cities - specifically to avoid having to deal with the gyrations that come with being in the right lane in a stretch of road that's an endless procession of on ramps and off ramps.

If I happen upon one of the "clueless" (the folks that won't accelerator to merge in front of me while I "coast" - and - won't slow down to merge behind me either) - I hold my lane and my speed. If they run out of lane - it sucks being them. Obviously, they're looking for a Darwin Award.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The one's that worry me are those that are running along side of me, and their merge lane is running out. They are probably thinking they will slip in right behind me, but don't realize I'm pulling a car.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:25 AM   #39

That is a wonderful set of signs. Of course, the prerequisite is that the other drivers can think - or even read!

[/QUOTE]
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The one's that worry me are those that are running along side of me, and their merge lane is running out. They are probably thinking they will slip in right behind me, but don't realize I'm pulling a car.
That's a good point ! In my case I have an enclosed Race Trailer they can clearly see out both morrows.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #41

Stay in your lane and maintain your speed. They won't run into you. Merging traffic needs to speed up to pass or slow down and get behind. It's not difficult to navigate around a big coach. Hold your ground and let them merge as they wish. You double your risk of an accident changing lanes back and forth.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #42
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Stay in your lane and maintain your speed. They won't run into you. Merging traffic needs to speed up to pass or slow down and get behind. It's not difficult to navigate around a big coach. Hold your ground and let them merge as they wish. You double your risk of an accident changing lanes back and forth.

Exactly.