Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #43

Who has the right of way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #44
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Who has the right of way?
Traffic already on the interstate.

Also, the basic rule for yielding, in the USA, is Yield To The Left. That is, if there is a vehicle to the left of you at an unmarked intersection, circle (aka, round-a-bout), etc., you must yield. The theory, I believe, is that since US driver's steering wheels are on the left side of the vehicle, it is easier to see other vehicles to the left than they can see you.

That info goes back to my Driver's Education days in high school in the 60's. I don't think there have been any changes in the basics.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
"I had the right of way" has been said to make a great epithet for a tombstone. How much comfort it will bring to your family or those you took with you is another matter.

"Drive Defensively" is far more likely to keep you and your loved ones safe in your travels than unsafe philosophies like "hold your ground."

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #46

While it is a little different, I have driven a little over truck stuff including oversized loads.
There is a old Chinese Proverb: 'He who has the most lug nuts wins'
Old 05-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #47

In the Murrieta, CA area on I15 SB, I was in the lane just left of the right lane when the right lane became exit only. As we passed over the bridge, the on ramp did not form it's own lane so I was now in the right lane. 18 wheelers to left of me, bumper hangers in the back and a car full of lovely young ladies entering on the right. Speeds were 60 for everyone. Oblivious to the thru taffic, the merging car padded up the on ramp at 50 or so with nowhere to go. I lost sight of them in the mirror as their runway ran out. I thought for sure they were in the weeds. Suddenly in my mirror, I see them pop out behind me into the lane left of me behind the 18 wheeler who is slowly passing me. They got up along side and commenced to voice their disapproval of me in very unlady like fashion. In fact, they were out the window to their waist with both arms extended to the tip of their middle fingers. I could tell they were shouting but with the road noise and language barrier, I could only assume they were admiring my rig. They were distracting so I pulled down my Duo shade. Well apparently, this was the ultimate insult and the road rage escalated. They got in front of me and the driver began hitting the brakes while 3 passengers flipped me off out the back window on the sun deck. Not bright, are these fine young ladies. I was wishing for that train horn I decided better not to put in. Well, don't want to crush them and didn't want them to beat me up so I picked up the phone and for the first time in 57 years, called 9-1-1. They saw me on the phone and took the next exit. I hate driving in SoCal.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Traffic already on the interstate.

Also, the basic rule for yielding, in the USA, is Yield To The Left. That is, if there is a vehicle to the left of you at an unmarked intersection, circle (aka, round-a-bout), etc., you must yield. The theory, I believe, is that since US driver's steering wheels are on the left side of the vehicle, it is easier to see other vehicles to the left than they can see you.

That info goes back to my Driver's Education days in high school in the 60's. I don't think there have been any changes in the basics.
Correct...it's their choice, Gas or Brake!
Old 05-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Well, don't forget to use common sense - even though it doesn't seem to be all that common any more. Slow down, speed up, or move to the left. I try to do what is safest for everyone and that isn't necessarily staying in the same lane at the same speed.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Well, don't forget to use common sense - even though it doesn't seem to be all that common any more. Slow down, speed up, or move to the left. I try to do what is safest for everyone and that isn't necessarily staying in the same lane at the same speed.
I suspect that the vast majority of posters agree with your comments. Lots of comments on how to try to avoid a "merge crisis" (driving one lane to the left and staying out of the right most lane, moving over, creating space to allow the "more agile" cars entering the highway to merge in front of our slow moving coaches, etc.) At the end of the day the $64K question really boils down to - WHO is responsible for making the BIG move if/when a merging automobile runs out of on ramp with a large RV occupying the spot in the lane they're trying to enter.

From the posts I'm reading - most RVer's (with the fine print of the law on their side) see it as being incumbent on the merging automobile to make the BIG move (either jamming their foot to the floor and using a bit of shoulder to enter in front of the RV ....or .... jamming on the brakes and entering behind it).
Old 05-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #51

The responsibility of NOT getting into the BIG move situation belongs to the car entering the highway.

In a car, truck or MH, I try my best to pick my merge spot, long before I am right next to something moving down the highway.

Unfortunately, that is no longer the case with today's drivers. They expect you to get out of their way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
"
"......Drive Defensively" is far more likely to keep you and your loved ones safe in your travels than unsafe philosophies like "hold your ground."
I agree. This thread has unofficially been closed now. No further response required.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Always proceed with caution with on ramps on your right side -- I see this all of the time. If you can't pull in another lane just drive your lane. They will get off their cell phones and stop texting if they want to merge !
I still adhere to the sign that says merging traffic and give them whatever space I can, but it is still their job to merge with flowing traffic.
I watch the little device (GPS) on the dash to see what the next turn will be and position myself one lane over from the upcoming turn, to avoid trying to move over quickly when the sign appears a short distance from the turn.
Enjoy and be safe.
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #54

When I taught my kids how to drive, I carried forward 1 piece of advise from my Father.

When merging into an expressway, If the person you are merging in front of has to hit their brake to keep from rear ending you, YOU DIDN'T MERGE CORRECTLY! The goal of merging into traffic is to join the flow, not cause a backup. Oh, and cutting over directly in front of an 18 wheeler, is a great way to meet people. Although I don't think you will like what he has to say
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #55

PA law, I like the last sentence:

(c) Duties at yield signs.--The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall in obedience to the sign slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop before entering a crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering. After slowing down or stopping, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute a hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection of roadways. If a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection or junction of roadways after driving past a yield sign, the collision shall be deemed prima facie evidence of failure of the driver to yield the right-of-way.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Maybe I'm not as observant as I used to be but I think many sates have removed the merge signs.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote