Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
...and where would you be located??
X2!

We don't full time but have a Verizon Jetpac for WiFi. We have a carryout for sat. reception and now thanks to our new to us coach, we have roof sat.

Branches & shrubs can certainly be a problem as can the angle of the driveway. I agree that tree & shrub trimming should be something that the CG does if the sites are big enough for the big rigs. Why advertise a 50' max length if a large rig can't get to it because of trees or roads?

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #30

I'd love to see CGs offer a "minimal service" option for single night stays. We frequently travel about where we try to get to a location as quickly as possible, driving as long as possible, to maximize our stay at the final location. This means a few "one night stands" along the way.

Arizona, Nevada, and SoCal make Wally Docking nearly impossible. When I can, I do "road recce" on google earth to identify good boondocking sites close to out route, but it's time-consuming and to get the max out of a day, I have to scout several spots along a two-hour or so stretch of road.

I usually don't need anything more than electric, I'm going to arrive after dark, leave about 9am, probably won't even use the campground showers. Don't need a beautifully landscaped spot (in fact, would prefer something with minimal obstructions).

Really, just want a quick-in, quick-out, safe location with power for a minimal fee.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If "free" wi-fi is an issue, I suggest purchasing your own hot spot. I use Verizon and get good service. Since wi-fi is important to me, it's worth it to buy my own dependable service. Also most campgrounds do not have secure wi-fi. Cable, believe it or not, is not available to all campgrounds. Again I recommend buying your own service. We are full time and realize buying our own tv programming and wi-fi are a part of the full time lifestyle.
What I am more concerned with in a campground is a safe environment, well maintained, enforced rules such as quiet time. My campground experience is more about a great place to be.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW Roku is Wifi is what is one of the things gobbling capacity in any system it attaches to. They are the enemy.
Why would they be the enemy if the Roku user is attaching to his own hotspot and using his own data as docj stated? I have Millenicom service with 20GB per month. I used to have Netflix that streamed at low quality at .3GB per hour and used no one else's data but mine. I rarely watched it so I opted to go with Pandora for the music. Less data usage and enjoy it more. YMMV.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Time to unplug people... even if it's just for a few days. Being "disconnected" is what gets many of us excited about going camping. Time to smell the roses, pine needles, or ocean air... go for a hike, a swim, or just relax in a hammock... Might do you a little good. Everywhere I go, I see people holding their smart phones like its a third appendage... Just put it away... Turn off the TV... Some of you people act like cable and wifi are owed to you. Especially you full timers... If you need to stay connected, there are plenty of ways to do it on your own... Campgrounds don't owe you anything other than a nice level campsite with good hook ups, a picnic table, and fire ring. It's called the great outdoors for a reason...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #34

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wva3185 View Post
Why would they be the enemy if the Roku user is attaching to his own hotspot and using his own data as docj stated? I have Millenicom service with 20GB per month. I used to have Netflix that streamed at low quality at .3GB per hour and used no one else's data but mine. I rarely watched it so I opted to go with Pandora for the music. Less data usage and enjoy it more. YMMV.
I agree, if you're using your own dataplan it's no business of anyone else's what you do with it. Some of the folks here simply haven't discovered that there's a lot of interesting video content available on Netflix, Huluplus and Amazon and I think it's often much better than what I can get on my 100+ channels of DirecTV. Streaming isn't a "fad" that young people are doing; it's probably the way we're all eventually going to get the content we watch.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Campgrounds don't owe you anything other than a nice level campsite with good hook ups, a picnic table, and fire ring. It's called the great outdoors for a reason...
I can't really agree with this. Do you think that when a park advertises cable and WiFi that it is not costing you anything? I can guarantee you that the cost of those amenities are included in the rate you are paying. The same as water, electric, taxes, insurance, etc, etc. I am not going to get into the argument about the quality of the amenities but I do think that if they advertise those amenities and if there are limitations they should at least advise of this fact when you are checking in giving you the opportunity to decide just how important those are to you and if you want to continue with the check in or move on down the road. I agree with this if you are staying in a park, be it public or private, that does not offer those amenities. For your edification I have my own ISP as well as Dish TV. The only thing that I need is an Internet connection to order meds, pay bills and schedule medical appointments for my family. YMMV.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #36

Quote:
If one is using their ROKU box with their phone link it is not an issue. Your problem then is the roughly 4 movies a month you have bandwidth for.

The problem is that ROKU can switch to ireless internet if it is available. So can many phones. When they get on the local wireless network they become bandwidth hogs trying to get what they were told to get as fast as they can do it. The default setup on most devices is to maximize the users access by opening multiple connection paths to optimize the download speed. That chokes the feed to the local network be it a park, coffee shop or home network. Now put something like 20 users in the queue all trying to maximize bandwidth and one is exceeding even the largest park feeds. Put an on line gamer in the mix and it really goes to pot as movies at least have a finite length while games go on forever. Once a mix like that gets going the odd email and web user is screwed as his share is miniscule. The only way to "fix" that is to limit connections by speed and number thus setting up a situation where there are poor connections for everyone.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #37

Quote:
I can't really agree with this.

>snip<

For your edification I have my own ISP as well as Dish TV. The only thing that I need is an Internet connection to order meds, pay bills and schedule medical appointments for my family. YMMV.
If you have your own ISP you would not be on the park internet. The Internet Service Provider is the local connection.

The answer to the rest is the YMMV - it does and it does not take too many folks trying to dump movies or do on line gaming to choke a system. That is why those services are blocked as much as is practicable in many places.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #38

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
If one is using their ROKU box with their phone link it is not an issue. Your problem then is the roughly 4 movies a month you have bandwidth for.
With all dues respect your math is faulty. If you limit your Netflix bandwidth so that your streaming uses ~0.3GB/hr then a 2-hour movie will use ~0.6GB. With a 20GB/mo dataplan that means someone could stream ~66 hours of video a month assuming the data wasn't used for anything else. So a person could watch a movie a day and still have a bit left over for internet surfing.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #39

Quote:

The problem is that ROKU can switch to ireless internet if it is available. So can many phones. When they get on the local wireless network they become bandwidth hogs trying to get what they were told to get as fast as they can do it. The default setup on most devices is to maximize the users access by opening multiple connection paths to optimize the download speed. That chokes the feed to the local network be it a park, coffee shop or home network. Now put something like 20 users in the queue all trying to maximize bandwidth and one is exceeding even the largest park feeds. Put an on line gamer in the mix and it really goes to pot as movies at least have a finite length while games go on forever. Once a mix like that gets going the odd email and web user is screwed as his share is miniscule. The only way to "fix" that is to limit connections by speed and number thus setting up a situation where there are poor connections for everyone.
I am not sure why one would have their devices automatically switching around. I have my JetPack tethered to a PepWave SOHO and my devices are tied to the SOHO. I could set it to WAN as LAN but most CG WiFi sucks is why I have Millenicom in the first place. I guess if you didn't mind poor data service and just want to complain about CG WiFi you would let your devices jump from source to source. Either that or you are to neophyte to know what to do to stop that. YMMV
Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #40

Quote:
If you have your own ISP you would not be on the park internet. The Internet Service Provider is the local connection.

The answer to the rest is the YMMV - it does and it does not take too many folks trying to dump movies or do on line gaming to choke a system. That is why those services are blocked as much as is practicable in many places.
I am not sure what you are responding to in my post. My response that you snipped was my thoughts on the post by StevieG stating that "(c)ampgrounds don't owe you anything other than a nice level campsite with good hook ups, a picnic table, and fire ring." The other comments were only tertiary to StevieG/my thoughts. Oh well...whatever.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I agree with the trees and bushes. As for hi speed wifi and cable, it's not a necessity for us. At home all we have is an outside antenna to receive broadcast TV. It's been that way for us for three years now since dumping satellite service and quite frankly we don't miss the hundreds of channels with nothing on TV, and certainly don't miss having to pay 86.00 a month for nothing. Our only source for wifi here is DSL, and because of our rural location, our download speed is just about 1 mps. When on the road, wifi and cable are not a priority for us. Actually as long as we can get a cell signal, we use my cellphone as a hot spot for our laptops and keeping in touch with friends and family.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Totally agree on the trees!
I have brought it to managements attention in a couple of places we were at last year and this year also. Trees should not be in contact with my roof when on roadways or in camp spot. I refused a spot because tree limb would rub on my roof. They did not want to trim it. For wi-fi, if cg does not have it we use our verizon hot spot. TV. we use on air free tv. plenty of viewing for us. or we rent a red box. We had Directv for over 19 years and ended it. Honestly, have not really missed it either. If I want to catch a particular game we go to a sports bar/eatery that have the games on.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground