Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Message to Campground Owners and Managers

In our travels in the last 2 years I have found things that I feel some Campground owners and managers don't seem to either want deal with or feel its not important to it's customers.
First off trees and shrubs: Yes we all love shade and green but I've seen many campgrounds with tree limbs that are just barely cut high enough to clear the tall 5th wheels and coaches that come in. Shrubs need to be trimmed to accommodate tight turning radius. Especially in campgrounds that the roads and sites are tight. There should be nothing lower that 14 feet. Most of the tallest rigs are 13 to 13.5 feet tall and 9 feet wide.

Second is Internet service. This used to be a convenience but has become a necessity for full timers and even some part timers and most of us would be willing to pay more for good reliable fast secure internet service. Email, bill paying and social media have become a integral part of our lives even on the road. Also for those of you that subscribe to things like Netflix etc.... it's important.

Third is cable service. Some of the cable providers are beginning to opt out of servicing their standard definition service. I happen to be in a park in Oregon right now that no longer has cable because of that fact. If a park opts to keep cable you will have to get a decoder box from the local cable company in order to have TV. This is something that will start affecting many parks all across the country in the very near future. If you don't have satellite service in your rig you will not have any TV other than over the air coverage which leaves a lot to be desired. Also big trees in close quarters can put a crimp on your satellite signal coverage so the campgrounds that opt to cancel their cable service need to address this issue.

I'm not sure what the answers are for the technical aspects of this are but if owners and managers want to keep customers happy they need to start looking at ways to solve these last 2 problems. The 1st one is just a matter of maintenance and being vigilante.

These are just random observations and not indicative to all RV parks in the country.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP 3910,
2002 Saturn SL2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The tree and shrub issues are definitely something the park management should deal with.

Cable TV is something they may not have any control over. Charter cable recently stopped providing ANY un-encrypted service in most if not all of their service areas. Their demands to provide the equipment necessary for a park to convert the encrypted signal that Charter provides to un-encrypted within the park are bordering on extortion. We had to issue decoder boxes to all owners and renters here at Hearthside due to that.

The park Wifi issue has been beat to death in multiple threads on this site. Sometimes the park has options that will reduce the issue, but nothing will solve it for good. And sometimes there is NO solution that will work, depending on the location of the park.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #3

What are you/we willing to pay for? Especially tv and wifi? Go to a hotel instead? We use a wifi hotspot, and most of the time on air tv, or sometimes Direct tv and our dish.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I definitely agree with you on the trees and shrubs. I'm not so inclined to agree with you on the wifi and cable... When we go camping, I enjoy the down time and the forced "off line" time with my kids. Nothing worse than sitting in front of a camp fire and having friends or family pay more attention to their phone or iPad than the people they are with.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
X10 on the tree and shrub trimming. That is very important and high on my list.

The Wifi problem may not have a solution, because so many people today are trying to stream video, that no Wifi system can have sufficient bandwidth to satisfy the demand. I would like to see bandwidth throttling, so that two or three people in a campground cannot hog all the bandwidth streaming movies and bring the whole system to a crawl. Use the Wifi for email or browsing, but not video.

Likewise the cable issue. If the cable vendor goes to an encrypted system, what's a park owner to do? Not much he can do about it. Cable will continue to vary from place to place. We use satellite whenever possible, and for those times when trees block satellite access, we have a slew of movies on DVD.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post

Charter cable recently stopped providing ANY un-encrypted service in most if not all of their service areas. Their demands to provide the equipment necessary for a park to convert the encrypted signal that Charter provides to un-encrypted within the park are bordering on extortion. We had to issue decoder boxes to all owners and renters here at Hearthside due to that.
Same thing here at Pacific Shores in Newport.

Unfortunately, the cable/wifi issue is changing with time and I'm sure it won't be long until everyone will be getting their tv and internet service as a personal purchase.

We invested in DISH tv with our own receivers and automatic antenna. We typically don't park where there are trees that block the satellite, but when it does, we have plenty of recorded programs and DVDs that will keep us entertained for quite a while.

As for wifi, I still attempt to use the park's wifi system, but when it doesn't, we have our own Verizon hot spot that will work 95% of the time.

When searching for a park to stay....cable and wifi service are NOT any great concern.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #7

We, too , have a Verizon hot spot which we use when the park either has none, or it's too slow. I have noticed on this trip that the WiFi has been much better most places we've stayed. If they advertised they have it, it worked well. Cable and WiFi aren't deal breakers for us, but they're nice to have. We do have Dish, but sometimes there are trees which make it hard to get a signal.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I definitely agree with you on the trees and shrubs. I'm not so inclined to agree with you on the wifi and cable... When we go camping, I enjoy the down time and the forced "off line" time with my kids. Nothing worse than sitting in front of a camp fire and having friends or family pay more attention to their phone or iPad than the people they are with.
That's a great attitude if you use your RV for weekends and a couple of vacations a year. But for those of us who full-time, not having internet and TV are not acceptable long term situations.

But, like many full-timers, we carry our own internet capability thanks to Verizon and have a fully automatic DirecTV system. When we can't get TV because of trees we stream video through our Roku.

So we really don't care if an RV park has wifi or cable unless it is in such a remote location in which cellular internet service is impossible. Examples include, for example, Death Valley or Fundy National Park at which we were very appreciative to have park-provided wifi.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
On the trees: We carry a tree trimmer and not bashful to use it as needed to protect the RV. We carry our own wifi hot spot. We use DirectTV and use a carry out antenna. Don't get the 'local' channels unless we are in the cone. The campgrounds we like don't have cable TV or wifi typically - RV parks do have those things but we don't generally use rv parks a lot. Did last night and will tomorrow night but not typical for us. Tonight we are in a State Park (preferred) and they often don't have wifi or cable.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #10

We're cg hosts at a great cg! We are at a county park with

44 paved large sites
strong secure wi fi
over 130 digital hi-def channels
20, 30, 50amp
not one streetlight
no play ground
2 miles of paved walking, biking trails
18 hole golf course
horse back riding
1,300acre park
NO limbs less than 16ft

how much? $31.00 a nite! We help run a great park!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quite honestly, I can't imagine being full time and not having hotspot internet and a satalite dish.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For short term visits to an area we can deal with the lack of TV and wifi (we too bring our own wifi - Millenicom in our case), in some areas we expect those to be lacking, we're there for the scenery and recreation potential. The one thing the OP brings up that ALL campground owners/managers need to be cognizant of is the obstructions, both natural and man made, that can cause damage to your RV and discourage repeat business.

I mention man-made obstructions. How many times have you been to a campground or RV park with very narrow interior roads and/or sharp, difficult angles for backing into the site, and rather than address those issues they'll place big honkin' rocks or posts on the corners? (Which will usually show evidence of having done battle with someone's RV)

When laying out the park, give some thought to the width of the roads and the angle of the sites relative to that road.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Totally agree on the tree trimming and that is poor management that let those items go.

As for cable...another thing that is coming to and end for RV parks as their local cable companies require HD receiver boxes to access cable. Most RV'er wouldn't know how to hook them up or have a place to put them.

As for park wifi...those that insist on streaming Netflex etc. have ruined it for the rest of us. How much bandwidth is an RV park suppose to provide when people keep abusing it? I ditched wifi years ago and pay for my own internet through my smart phone. If people want to stream movies, let them pay for the bandwidth with their own internet service and not at the expense of those that want higher rent add to the park fees so they can have "free" movie service.

I also enjoy these service so I did install a top on the line satellite dish. I also want internet all of the time so I upgraded to a smartphone...smartest move I ever made.
The problems are easily solved, you take your own services with you. Now if the park owners would keep the branched trimmed I would be happy.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #14

It would be nice if CG's could offer internet and cable TV ala carte. We would prefer not to have these services on long weekend trips but would like them on trips in the 7day range.

Tags
campground