Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Mexico as Safe as the US for RVer's?

Acapulco Mexico

ACAPULCO, Mexico – A spate of attacks on taxis in the Mexican resort city of Acapulco has left 12 drivers or passengers dead, just ahead of Monday's start of the Mexican Open tennis tournament.

Acapulco has been the scene of bloody drug cartel turf wars, and taxi drivers have often been targeted for extortion or recruited as lookouts by the gangs.

The organizers of the largest tennis tournament in Latin America say the Mexican government has pledged that appropriate security measures have been taken for the event.

State police said Sunday that four suspects have been detained in relation with some of the attacks. The suspects had guns, a grenade and a machete that police say may have been used to decapitate some of the victims. (end of article)

I do not believe I would feel safe in Mexico, even if I was in an Abrams Tank. I would want to get out and stretch my legs every once in a while.

rops
rops is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rops View Post
Acapulco Mexico

ACAPULCO, Mexico – A spate of attacks on taxis in the Mexican resort city of Acapulco has left 12 drivers or passengers dead, just ahead of Monday's start of the Mexican Open tennis tournament.

Acapulco has been the scene of bloody drug cartel turf wars, and taxi drivers have often been targeted for extortion or recruited as lookouts by the gangs.

The organizers of the largest tennis tournament in Latin America say the Mexican government has pledged that appropriate security measures have been taken for the event.

State police said Sunday that four suspects have been detained in relation with some of the attacks. The suspects had guns, a grenade and a machete that police say may have been used to decapitate some of the victims. (end of article)

I do not believe I would feel safe in Mexico, even if I was in an Abrams Tank. I would want to get out and stretch my legs every once in a while.

rops
I think the "suspects" will be "detained" by the Federales until the bag of cash arrives.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel safer in the the USA, where I can legally concealed carry a firearm. Also, if you wind up on the wrong side of the Mexican law you may rot in jail.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As close as I live to the Mexican border I don't need to go to Mexico.....I can drive to Wal-Mart and be there.
I am about 3mi. from the border. When we first moved here it was nice could leave the car unlocked. Your front door unlocked. Now you can't even do that even if your is in your garage. You also need bars on the windows.
No Mexico is not safe.......south San Diego County is not much better.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5

Mexico and safe do not belong in the same thread, they are oxymorons.

It would be like posting a thread about RV'ing in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive lol. Might make for a funny movie, but poor reality option lol
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Paid For View Post
Mexico and safe do not belong in the same thread, they are oxymorons.

It would be like posting a thread about RV'ing in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive lol. Might make for a funny movie, but poor reality option lol

Well said!!!
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have to admit that I have been severely injured while here in Puerto Penasco. I thought the beer I was trying to open was a twist off and it wasn't. I scraped a little skin off trying to open it.

Other than that, it is business as usual and great fishing.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Business as usual lol. Perhaps for you, that area, afterall it is a large country. How many Mayors, Journalists, civilians, police, military, travelers, have been killed nation wide in Mexico in the past 5 years?

Overall total numbers in the US are probably higher, but they are not due to beheadings, militarized cartels, bombs, nearing Civil War proportions where the average citizen is virtually helpless to avoid being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Even people crossing the border are affraid to get close to it for fear of death, and most are Mexican citizens.

If anyone thinks Mexico is an RV hot spot, go for it, you are a braver man than me. I've fought in two wars, don't need to go for three lol
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #9

Mexican citizens are afraid to live in their own country, why would an American Tourist want to go there? Those drug cartel members gather more heads than bodies and parade them around. Wonder what they do with RV's that no longer have drivers to bring the rigs back home?
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #10

I don't think I would feel safe traveling in to Mexico in a caravan let alone.
AB7OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB7OH View Post
I don't think I would feel safe traveling in to Mexico in a caravan let alone.
Ditto, I'm amazed RVers still go there. The only way I'd feel safe down there is if the "group" I was with all had "U.S.ARMY" on the front of their uniforms.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #12

In a word, No. Mexico is not as safe as the US.

The border area is really bad. The entire country is not a war zone.

HERE is a story about an "attack" on us in the Yucatan.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #13

Guess I must be from The Land of The Brave!

We are heading to Puerto Penasco on Friday. I've been looking all over the web and have not found a single reference anywhere to RV'rs being kidnapped or murdered?

However, a couple weeks ago some guy shot and killed his wife with a shot gun and would have killed two other passengers if he had found them about a half mile from our RV resort here in Vegas! Look what happened in Tucson! These are just the stories that make the news.

If you guys want to stay home go for it that is your choice, but don't think the rest of us are crazy because we don't live with your fear!
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #14

Heck, right now Ill take Nam during the Tet over them crazy Mexicans !!!!
mick is offline   Reply With Quote