Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
We were on a cruise last October. The army was guarding all of the cruise port shopping area's with riffles. We were not about to leave their fenced in area's to explore other sites. We cruise every year, & I have never seen it guarded like that before.

Not a warm welcome feeling!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #16

Arctic Owl - I didn't need an apology but it is very gracious for you to make one. We have been in all the Canada provinces and have always been greeted and treated very well by our northern neighbors. In some areas road signs in French can be a bit confusing but we have always found someone friendly to help us out. Our future travels are limited to USA & Canada since we won't get on an airplane. We do hope to see all of both countries before we get to old to travel.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #17

I remember fondly many wonderful vacations in Mexico. I graduated UofA and weekends in Nogales were common. Once we started RVing trips in Baja and a few years ago a Tracks trip including Mazatlan were fantastic. Sadly, Southern travel in the foreseeable future is not in our plans. I have given in to my fears and will not cross into Mexico until their government is able to create a safe environment for tourists, and their own citizenry.
As for our War On Drugs. I've been involved as a Pharmacist for 40+ years, and I must admit if we have not lost the war, we are at least not winning. But, I hesitate to throw all caution to the wind and totally legalize dangerous drug purchases. Maybe it is the thought of some "Dude" high on Oxy driving his big rig (insert car, tractor, boat, etc..not meant to discriminate) down the highway frightens me.
Canada was great, the border crossing was uneventful, far less stressful than flying.
Happy Trails to all, and see on on OUR highways.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #18

We decided to stay in the U.S.A. and Canada from now until Mexico returns to what it appeared to be 5 years ago, relatively safe for civilians. We have enjoyed visiting Progresso, Algadones, Nogales, and Juarez in years past. Eating was pleasant and enjoyable, shopping was relaxing with a wide variety of products,etc. Juarez had over 3,000 homicides in 2010, which is appalling, but consider, Juarez is a city with over 2.1 million citizens.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
We decided to stay in the U.S.A. and Canada from now until Mexico returns to what it appeared to be 5 years ago, relatively safe for civilians. We have enjoyed visiting Progresso, Algadones, Nogales, and Juarez in years past. Eating was pleasant and enjoyable, shopping was relaxing with a wide variety of products,etc. Juarez had over 3,000 homicides in 2010, which is appalling, but consider, Juarez is a city with over 2.1 million citizens.
San Antonio is a city with about 1.5 million and we had, I think, 250 homicides. Mexico is out of control for now. Let us hope Calderon can stay the course and get it back. If not, it will deteriorate into something no better than Iraq or Columbia, or Venezuela.

We have enjoyed vacationing at a private villa on the Pacific Coast in Acapulco from 1999 thru 2009, but Acapulco is now a battleground and there are just safer places for us to motorhome to for the foreseeable future. We look forward to going back to our "home" in Acapulco someday. It is on a cliff, 400 ft. above the water not far from where the cliff divers are at El Mirador. We miss it a lot.

We also feel very sorry for the good people of Mexico who are just trying to make a living and get by. This war is robbing them of a living because there is such a decrease in tourism.

Don
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Iused to dream of being able to retire and go to Mexico and just bum around and take life easy.Now i have nightmares at the thought of going there.I grew up and around East St Louis Ill.So I learned alot of street smarts.I also learned to always listen to my gut.Never lets you down.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #21

Crazy Pappa. What year and what part of the east side did you run? I was there in the 60's The apollo the Blue Note and others. just saying.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=JMonroe;772529]OK, those that know me know I'm somewhat to the right of... (insert your favorite conservatives name here) politically, but...

I've been saying for years it is not the business of the government to tell me what I can and can not ingest in my pursuit of (again, insert your own thoughts here). Did we not learn anything from prohibition? Apparently not. The only thing prohibition accomplished was to make some very bad people very rich and powerful. Same with our archaic drug laws.

Make it legal, tax the crap out of any sales, and use that money to fund education and treatment. It will save trillions of dollars and eventually make these drug gangs all but impotent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are so so correct. It's the only palatable way to stop it. Theres too much money involved on both sides of this issue. More and more money being spent to stop it and more and more money being made to supply it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #23

US missionary shot by gunman in Mexico

Yet another terrible atrocity due to Mexican Instability.

US Missionary shot by gunmen in Mexico

Husband: US missionary shot by gunman in Mexico

By TERRY WALLACE, Associated Press

DALLAS A U.S. missionary working in Mexico who brought his mortally wounded wife to the border told authorities in the United States that gunmen in a pickup truck shot her in the head, police in Texas say.

Nancy Davis, 59, died in a South Texas hospital Wednesday about 90 minutes after her husband drove the couple's truck against traffic across the Pharr International Bridge, according to a statement issued by the Pharr Police Department. The husband relayed to Texas authorities and U.S. Customs agents a frantic episode of the couple being fired upon in Mexico and then flooring their truck at top speed to border.

Police described the couple as missionaries who travel extensively into Mexico.

The scene echoed one described four months ago by an American tourist, who said her husband was gunned down by Mexican pirates on a border lake as the couple tried fleeing on Jet Skis.

"I don't know them, but my heart breaks for them," said Tiffany Hartley, the widow of David Hartley, who authorities say was killed on Falcon Lake in September.

Davis' husband told investigators that he and his wife were traveling about 70 miles south of the Mexican border city of Reynosa when gunmen in a pickup truck tried to stop them. When the Davises sped up, the gunmen fired, wounding Nancy Davis in the head, the statement said.

The husband, identified as Sam Davis by U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Felix Garza, told police he continued to drive at top speed in hopes of outrunning the gunmen until he reached the international bridge and sought help.

Pharr Police Chief Ruben Villescas said Mexican authorities contacted by his department confirmed the shooting happened near the outskirts of San Fernando, about 70 miles south of Reynosa. The area is heavily controlled by the Zetas drug cartel and is one of Mexico's most dangerous. It is the same area where 72 Central and South American migrants were found slain in August, a massacre blamed on the Zetas.

Pharr police and U.S. Customs agents converged on the Davises' truck just before 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, after Sam Davis stopped in the middle of bridge traffic to seek help. Nancy Davis was found bleeding from a head wound in the front passenger seat. An ambulance took her to a McAllen hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 1:54 p.m., according to the police statement.

The statement said the Davises live in a city in the lower Rio Grande Valley in South Texas, but did not specify where or provide details about the couple's missionary work. Villescas, the police chief, did not immediately respond to requests for additional comment late Wednesday.

A friend of the couple told the San Antonio Express-News that the two spent 80 percent to 90 percent of their time in Mexico and had a home in the Mexican state of Nuevo Leon.

"They did some teaching, did some evangelistic work," said Merton Rundell III, director of finance at Union Bible College in Indiana. "But most of their labors were directly involved in establishing churches in different parts of Mexico."

U.S. Customs and Border Protection referred all additional questions to the Pharr police, whose statement said the CBP, the FBI, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Texas Department of Public Safety and Mexican authorities also are participating in the investigation.

The Mexican Interior Ministry released a statement expressing condolences over Davis' death. It said Mexican authorities were investigating but provided no further details. Officials at the Tamaulipas state attorney general's office in Mexico could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Alexander Featherstone said the embassy was trying to contact Mexican authorities about the case. He could provide no other information.

Concerns about the investigation into David Hartley's death, about 170 miles northwest of San Fernando, prompted Texas Gov. Rick Perry to call for a stronger response from Mexican authorities. His body was never found, and a Tamaulipas state police commander who was investigating was killed and his decapitated head delivered in a suitcase to a local Mexican army post.

In the migrant massacre, a state detective and local police chief who participated in the initial investigation turned up dead.

___

Associated Press writers Paul Weber in San Antonio and Alexandra Olson in Mexico City contributed to this report.

rops
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Crazy Papa
Remember the old Blue Note lounge by the racetrack? You knew your battery was going to be gone when you came out.

Just spent 10 days in Costa Rico. No military. Growing pot on the side of the road. Frendliest people in the world. Too bad you have to go thru Mexico to get there(unless you go over it).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I personally don't see an end to the fall of Mexico. The government is, and has always been corrupt. This is true of the Federales and the army as well. The gangs have so much money (read US dollars) that even the highest officials get paid off. The few honest politiians, mayors, police chiefs that come forward to tackle this are soon assassinated. We see this violence spilling over our borders and this will only get worse as these gangs become even more brazen. Our responce in the last 10 years has been pathetic. That border fence is a joke. How many millions have we spent just to see folks climbing over it or just tearing holes in it? Our border guards are overwhelmed and can not control the border.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #26
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like Egypt is out also.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I personally don't see an end to the fall of Mexico. The government is, and has always been corrupt. This is true of the Federales and the army as well. The gangs have so much money (read US dollars) that even the highest officials get paid off. The few honest politiians, mayors, police chiefs that come forward to tackle this are soon assassinated. We see this violence spilling over our borders and this will only get worse as these gangs become even more brazen. Our responce in the last 10 years has been pathetic. That border fence is a joke. How many millions have we spent just to see folks climbing over it or just tearing holes in it? Our border guards are overwhelmed and can not control the border.

Interesting comment, remember back when the fence was proposed? Fences have never kept hungry people from crossing borders, but some insisted on spending millions to build it. The results were predictable. You are right they are a joke! However, these days few Mexicans are crossing the border. It's an economic thing. There are no jobs! Every time you go through an inspection station there are large groups of guards just sitting around with nothing to do.

We are the only ones who can stop the drug violence in Mexico.

One comment about missionaries. We have traveled extensively in Mexico, some in Central America and South America. As much as you might want to think otherwise missionaries are not the most well liked people in many parts of the world. This particular incident may or may not have anything to do with the drug war.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
San Antonio is a city with about 1.5 million and we had, I think, 250 homicides. Mexico is out of control for now. Let us hope Calderon can stay the course and get it back. If not, it will deteriorate into something no better than Iraq or Columbia, or Venezuela.

We have enjoyed vacationing at a private villa on the Pacific Coast in Acapulco from 1999 thru 2009, but Acapulco is now a battleground and there are just safer places for us to motorhome to for the foreseeable future. We look forward to going back to our "home" in Acapulco someday. It is on a cliff, 400 ft. above the water not far from where the cliff divers are at El Mirador. We miss it a lot.

We also feel very sorry for the good people of Mexico who are just trying to make a living and get by. This war is robbing them of a living because there is such a decrease in tourism.

Don
And you know what of Venezula??????
Have you ever seen it reported that Chavez opened up the presidential palace for 60 victims of flooding????
He refuses to be a puppet for the USA and that's the american news you get for him.
I seem to remember a US president being quite compassionate about the poor souls in New Orleans.
Mr. Chavez also helps poor people in Vermont with free oil.
The drug war has nothing to do with drugs. It has everything to do with controling people. Also the ones who scream loudest about how dangerous drugs are are the ones making the most profit from it.
It's a real pity that you let these scare monger tactics scare you away from Apapulco.