Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 06:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
it's funny to me how people automatically assume "greedy kids" when they only hear one side of the story and it's just a "bad vibe feeling" story. Maybe their son is genuinely concerned about them and wants to make sure they're not going to run short on living expenses down the road. This whole thread is strange to me.....I don't understand why families can't have an open dialogue and instead of making assumptions of feelings or have gut feelings about them just talk them out.

I see you think you know how ALL families work/interact. Not! What you flippantly suggest assumes all see the world thru your goggles. Not that simple my friend

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #16

Enjoy YOUR money.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
it's funny to me how people automatically assume "greedy kids" when they only hear one side of the story and it's just a "bad vibe feeling" story. Maybe their son is genuinely concerned about them and wants to make sure they're not going to run short on living expenses down the road. This whole thread is strange to me.....I don't understand why families can't have an open dialogue and instead of making assumptions of feelings or have gut feelings about them just talk them out.
I for one agree with you. And this is exactly what we did. We talked to our daughters and son in law and told them what we were doing with "their inheritance". Now I agree this approach may not work in all family situations, but it did work for us.

We invite our kids to join us in our travels. They fly out to join us for a week, enjoy the area we are in then fly back home. My 12 year old granddaughter has more frequent flyer miles flying to where ever we are than her "rents" have combined! (rents = parents my granddaughter informed me. She is teaching me to talk like "real people do") Ahh to be young again.

Wolfcreek, sit down with them at dinner time some day and tell them how much you enjoy this lifestyle. Invite them to join you and be frank that you are only spending your "fun money" and you are financially secure and able to do this. Shoot maybe they will buy a RV of their own and give it a try when they see you and your wife having fun.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #18

Huh? I don't owe my kids or grandkids any explanation on what I do with my money. It will be their money when I die, for now I do with it what I please.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I for one agree with you. And this is exactly what we did. We talked to our daughters and son in law and told them what we were doing with "their inheritance". Now I agree this approach may not work in all family situations, but it did work for us.

We invite our kids to join us in our travels. They fly out to join us for a week, enjoy the area we are in then fly back home. My 12 year old granddaughter has more frequent flyer miles flying to where ever we are than her "rents" have combined! (rents = parents my granddaughter informed me. She is teaching me to talk like "real people do") Ahh to be young again.

Wolfcreek, sit down with them at dinner time some day and tell them how much you enjoy this lifestyle. Invite them to join you and be frank that you are only spending your "fun money" and you are financially secure and able to do this. Shoot maybe they will buy a RV of their own and give it a try when they see you and your wife having fun.
We have told them about enjoying our retirement years before, and why we bought the RV. He has a good job, and family, but we still feel they didn't like our decision on the RV purchase..
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #20

In my opinion, it sounds like you have worked hard your whole life and you should feel good about having the opportunity to enjoy retirement with your wife in your RV. I'm sorry to hear you don't feel like your family supports it. I know that must be frustrating.

Enjoy RV-ing, and know that you have the full support of those of us here on the forum!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #21

We are both 65 and the only family member upset with our purchase is my 91 year old mother! She just sees it as a huge waste of money that she would never spend, and at 91, she doesn't understand why anyone wants to ever be away from home. Our kids love it because it enables us to spend more time with them and the grandkids love it because we take them somewhere for a week or so each summer without their mom and dad.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
"We're Spending Our Children's Inheritance"
When we bought our first MH I sent a picture of it to the kids with the caption: "Spending Your Inheritance; Chapter 1".
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #23

My Wife and i worked hard for our money and will spend it any way we see fit.We didnt get permission to make it so dont see a need to ask how to spend it.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
We have told them about enjoying our retirement years before, and why we bought the RV. He has a good job, and family, but we still feel they didn't like our decision on the RV purchase..
Next time you get this feeling ask your son what is going on. I have friends that think I am crazy to have bought and particularly nuts to be driving mine. Their reason is they can't see why anyone would want one. Different roads for different folks.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #25

If a family member has issues with what you're doing I'd have to say they're very selfish. You've earned the privilege (some would say "right") to enjoy your retirement however you deem fit.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I told my kids they were lucky i had a prepaid funeral because i planed on dieing broke they laughed said enjoy it dad
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like some entitlement issues. Dont worry it will go away, if not there is nothing to worry about. You worked for and saved the money so you should be able to spend it for as you see fit for your own enjoyment.

We will be leaving our kids lots of well used toys.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Raineman..you are right on the money (no pun intended!) As an insurance broker, I have seen first hand what happens with the so called "transfer of wealth" and the outcomes are usually not that favorable. We have settled life insurance claims with beneficiaries having to be kept in separate offices.

Parents are under NO obligation to share ANY information with their children, brothers, sisters, in laws or ministers about matters of finance or what they have accumulated over their lifetime. We have become a society of entitlements and believe me that the parents of these children shoulder most of the blame.

My father practiced law for over 55 years. He was a quiet and soft-spoken a man who NEVER discussed his financial condition with us. As I got older, he often told me that "death often changes the dynamics of a family" and he was spot on!

Tags
purchase