Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #57

My daughter made this for me

Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #58

National RV Owners Club
One day I was talking to my cousin and the subject got around to life insurance.
When I asked him if he had any, he said: "Nope! When I die, I want it to be a bad day for everybody!"

bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #59

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many have had that problem.. Alas, one of the nasty things about our society is GREED.. The kids expect to get rich when their parents die..

In addition to the T-Shirt pictured above I've seen many rigs with a front license plate.. Same saying... Just buy one.

Now an interesting fact: If you are FULL TIMERS.. you are spending your children's inheritance at a much slower rate than if you owned a house. If you are full timers sit down and do the math, Taxes, Utilities, Home maintenance (lawn care etc) liability and such.. Compare what you spent in the house to what you spend for the same things in the RV... add in cost of fuel for the RV (I spend less a year than what I paid in property tax) and see the savings

Show your kids.

Get a membership in somehting like MASA (Medical Air Services out of Flordia) which, when I die, will deliver to Motor home (And me) to wherever I wish them to go (Pre selected addresses) among other features and you may change their mind.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
The words are 'entitlement' and 'self absorbed'.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #61

Thor Owners Club
My wife and I have always said we are leaving everything to the family.... As long as they can make the payments!!!! Go for it and enjoy what you have worked hard for....
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #62

While neither the wife nor I ski we take several SKI (Spending Kid's Inheritance) trips per year. They can have whatever is left.
RichH
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #63

They might be thinking you are going to spend all your money and have to move in with them. Just kidding usually the fighting starts when you die maybe they are jealous you are enjoying your life without them.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
My daughter was fine with my buying a new MH. She loves it. She's my only heir.

However, she flipped out when I told her that I became engaged to a woman 3 1/2 years younger than she (this was last week and we haven't spoken since).
love it good for you ENJOY
Old 02-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Now an interesting fact: If you are FULL TIMERS.. you are spending your children's inheritance at a much slower rate than if you owned a house. If you are full timers sit down and do the math, Taxes, Utilities, Home maintenance (lawn care etc) liability and such.. Compare what you spent in the house to what you spend for the same things in the RV... add in cost of fuel for the RV (I spend less a year than what I paid in property tax) and see the savings
You are overlooking the fact that most houses appreciate and all RVs depreciate. Otherwise, I agree with you.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another factor in leaving anything for the kids is what the government will do over the next 10 to 20 years. They always seem to want their share and more.

Would love to leave the kids a fortune but don't have it. Funerals will be paid for and whatever is left is what they will get. They are ok with that.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
You are overlooking the fact that most houses appreciate and all RVs depreciate. Otherwise, I agree with you.
Unfortunately unless you sell the house the appreciated value is only on paper. Same for the depreciation on the RV.

The appreciation or depreciation will only affect your estate.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #68

I say enjoy the time you have left doing what you want. You've earned it.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #69

About 2 years ago we came into a little money and all of a sudden Sally's grown daughter who is only a few years younger than I , decided to come and help us with straightening out things. They came with 2 suitcases and left with 6?? After cleaning out the 2 houses we ended up with. Also she brought her newest prize with her, who unabashedly told Sally they were there to help her settle her affairs, wills estates etc., and since his new squeeze(her daughter) was the oldest, she should get the bulk of anything she had!!! She told him if she heard another word about it, the only thing they would possibly get is a early return to the airport! They insisted on going thru the two houses and who knows what they stashed as I know when they came, it was no problem getting their bags and them in the car. But when they left , I had to rely on my past as a long distance mover to pack all their crap! Good Riddance, hope they found enough to keep them away, but I doubt it! Bobby
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I have an acquaintance whose son referred to his Mercedes as our Mercedes. He was quick to remind his son that it was his Mercedes. .He worked for it and paid for it. .when was ready to get rid of it, and his son showed interest, he offered to sell it to him at book value.nHe taught his son well and his son has since learned to earn and pay for the things he wants. Good lesson. ?I wish more of today's society would learn this lesson. I always encouraged my parents to spend their money on themselves and enjoy the fruits of their labor. I think you should do the same. You raised your kids and paid for their youth. Should you leave them something? Probably. Should they assume they have a right to your money? Absolutely not! Happy motoring.
my kids are fairly young but this is more along the way of how I teach them. I do give them things but there's also a lot they earn. So far they're all hard workers and know the value of a dollar so it's paying off. My son has it figured out pretty nicely. He has a bank account that we started him at about 4 or 5. All of his bday, xmas, and allowance money goes into it and he really hates digging into that to buy something. If he wants something that's out of the ordinary I make him pay for it. He has to really really want something to dig into his own money for it. So much so that it's probably only happened 2 or 3 times.

Tags
purchase