Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 AM   #1

MH purchase makes waves for us

Last May my DW and myself purchased a new MH. We have made several 2 weeks or so trips with it. We are really enjoying the trips and meeting the people and just plain having fun together. We have one son and daughter in law with some grand kids. We both are retired and 65 years old and decided this is what we wanted to do for a few years is to travel and enjoy each other. Not full timing, but plan on some nice lengthy trips in the near future. My question is , has anyone else had their family be upset that they spent the money on a MH for themselves and are taking away funds out of their bank account for their pleasure. Weird question for sure, but somehow we have been getting bad vibes about spending the money on a MH. Maybe our bad......?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 AM   #2

It's your money and life, enjoy it!

Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:33 AM   #3

Please tell me your joking. It's your funds and your life spend it. Thankfully everyone in my family rv's so we are concerned if you don't buy a motorhome, 5er, or travel trailer. Please enjoy yourselves and don't worry about what other people think you should do with your money.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
laj

depends on the reason their upset. do you have a comfortable reserve left in case of emergency, or
Old 02-01-2016, 04:45 AM   #5
laj

spending everything with no regard for the future, or are they just greedy and figure your spending the money they think they should get. if it is genuine concern for you then its hard to fault them. other then that, i wouldn't give them a second thought and have the most fun you 2 kids can possibly have.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
depends on the reason their upset. do you have a comfortable reserve left in case of emergency, or
We are fine in that regard. What kind of emergency are you speaking of?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
laj

medical mostly. but just what most people would call " a rainy day fund "
i know thats a weird concept today.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
"We're Spending Our Children's Inheritance"
Old 02-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
medical mostly. but just what most people would call " a rainy day fund "
i know thats a weird concept today.
no problem there. We have worked hard all our lives and saved our hard earned money and decided to spend some of it. When it comes to money people can get weird sometimes.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #10

First, let me say I am sorry for your difficulty. Yes, money can do weird things to people.
Second, you have already hit the nail on the head: We have worked hard all our lives and saved our hard earned money.
Third, IMO, travel, enjoy yourselves, continue to meet some really great people and keep the kids informed of where you are. This is their issue and not yours. Please don't take it on.
Happy travels!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #11

How sad. It sounds like you may have some greedy kids that want your hard earned cash as an inheritance. If that is the case, my heart aches for you. If that is incorrect forgive me.

Either way, hold your heads high and enjoy the heck out of your RV. So what if there are attitudes.

I lost one of my so called good friends when I bought an RV. The first day he saw our RV was the last day he ever spoke to us. He has since talked badly about us to our other friends in common. I wish I could say we got over it, but it still hurts our feelings a year later.

Some people just suck.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #12

it's funny to me how people automatically assume "greedy kids" when they only hear one side of the story and it's just a "bad vibe feeling" story. Maybe their son is genuinely concerned about them and wants to make sure they're not going to run short on living expenses down the road. This whole thread is strange to me.....I don't understand why families can't have an open dialogue and instead of making assumptions of feelings or have gut feelings about them just talk them out.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spend it all!! Have fun and don't fall for the guilt trip. AND don't let their issues become yours....
Safe Travels and you're going to have tons of wonderful experiences.
Sounds like the kids might have been bitten by the green eyed monster....
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #14

As long as one is not asking kids for support I see where they have much room to complain. OTOH I have seen a lot of kids worrying about what they expected to inherit. In my mind it is the kids being overly dependent. Do what you want and enjoy it. Perhaps being gone for long periods will give them a chance to get their act together. ;-)

Tags
purchase