Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mice and Glue Traps... Just wondering.

Is there a good way to dispose of mice caught on glue traps?

Are there any great ideas to get rid of the prisoners in a way that is both humane and practical?

I realize the humane part may not be practical, but when you see the little mouse eyes staring up at you...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 AM   #2

Use the traditional type mouse traps. It's done and over in milli-seconds, whereas the sticky traps prolong the inevitable.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

" I realize the humane part may not be practical, but when you see the little mouse eyes staring up at you... "

Don't look at them. They carry disease and possibly kill you. Hantavirus it's called.

"
Hantaviruses are single-stranded, enveloped, negative-sense RNA viruses in the Bunyaviridae family which can KILL humans. They normally infect rodents and do not cause disease in these hosts "
Do not breathe their feces. I'm sure you would not do that intentionally but if it dries and crumbles and floats around in the air, you might breath it in. If you get a nest in your home or vehicle, guess what they do there or anywhere else for that matter.
Around our place we use Mouse Magic. Seems to work so far. It's a pouch that has peppermint and one other mint I believe. Actually it doesn't smell too bad.
So when I see a mouse, I think, it's trying to KILL me, goodbye mouse. And, our cat does a good job of mouse management as well.
I know, they are cute with their little ears sticking up and all, but, handle carefully and wear gloves and a mask if you have to clean up after them.
If you really want to be nice to them and let them go, take them a long ways away from your home, wherever that may be. Coyotes love them.
And please, don't take me wrong here, I love cats and dogs and such, but I'm very careful around rodents.. Oh, they like to eat your vehicle wiring, has soy in it, yum, yum.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Use the traditional type mouse traps. It's done and over in milli-seconds, whereas the sticky traps prolong the inevitable.
I do use the snap traps and I have even used the 5 gallon bucket trap, but I seem to have more success with the glue traps... and this is why I was wondering if anyone had come up with a good solution for disposal of live mice on a plastic board with super sticky glue on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
" I realize the humane part may not be practical, but when you see the little mouse eyes staring up at you... "

Don't look at them. They carry disease and possibly kill you. Hantavirus it's called.

"
Hantaviruses are single-stranded, enveloped, negative-sense RNA viruses in the Bunyaviridae family which can KILL humans. They normally infect rodents and do not cause disease in these hosts "
Do not breathe their feces. I'm sure you would not do that intentionally but if it dries and crumbles and floats around in the air, you might breath it in. If you get a nest in your home or vehicle, guess what they do there or anywhere else for that matter.
Around our place we use Mouse Magic. Seems to work so far. It's a pouch that has peppermint and one other mint I believe. Actually it doesn't smell too bad.
So when I see a mouse, I think, it's trying to KILL me, goodbye mouse. And, our cat does a good job of mouse management as well.
I know, they are cute with their little ears sticking up and all, but, handle carefully and wear gloves and a mask if you have to clean up after them.
If you really want to be nice to them and let them go, take them a long ways away from your home, wherever that may be. Coyotes love them.
And please, don't take me wrong here, I love cats and dogs and such, but I'm very careful around rodents.. Oh, they like to eat your vehicle wiring, has soy in it, yum, yum.
We had cats and they were a big help but we travel so much that having outside cats to tend was a problem when we are gone. We gave to cats to a new home.

I realize that mice are nasty little creatures and disposing of them in the most sanitary manner is important. I cannot remove them from the glue traps because it pulls their feet off... We don't live where we have public dumpsters available (except twice a week, 4 miles from the cabin) or I would triple bag them and take them to a dumpster.

So, when I go out to lock and check my trap-line in the MH and I find two mice on the same small glue trap, at 10pm, what should I do?

We were at an RV park and had a mouse come in and caught him in a glue trap about 1am and I picked it up and threw it out the door so I could dispose of it in the morning. In the morning I not only still had a live mouse, I had a snake too. I bagged them carefully and took them to a dumpster.

That is not an option at home.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #5

So when you bag and dispose in the dumpster they starve to death unless crushed in some way.
I hate the buggers with a passion but I not to keen on making them suffer so I don’t use them.
If you have to use them at least throw them in a bucket of water and drown them or smash them with a brick.

Good luck

Pointrow
Old 11-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
So when you bag and dispose in the dumpster they starve to death unless crushed in some way.
I hate the buggers with a passion but I not to keen on making them suffer so I don’t use them.
If you have to use them at least throw them in a bucket of water and drown them or smash them with a brick.

Good luck

Pointrow
Smashing with a brick sounds like it could cause spatter but I like the bucket of water idea. I would still have to dispose of the drowned mice stuck to the trap, but that is better than live mice stuck to a trap. I could then dig a hole and bury the whole thing out in the woods.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

Pellet gun.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #8

The first glue trap I tried 25 years ago and the last. Humane? Nope none in the least. Even if you can get them off they break all their little leggies and are covered in sticky. That mouse got put in a coffee can and stuck in the freezer. I couldn't bring myself to do anything else with it. I felt horrible.

If you don't have luck with your snap traps it may be your traps and bait. Also don't waste your money on the fancy plastic ones. The traps with the fake cheese attractant work the best mechanically. The attractant...not so much. We use peanut butter and a liquid mouse attractant I picked up at lowes. That setup works quite well.

They also make live metal traps that I noticed on amazon. Not interested in the least in trying to figure out what to do with a trap full of live mice. There are plenty of mice in this world. They don't need to be drove to a field somewhere.
Letting them suffer otherwise is just cruel.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I used glue traps once and when I caught the mice I would just drown them - glue trap with mouse in water held down with a stick. Never again glue traps - just didn't feel right watching them struggle to breath.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #10

I use the snap traps and also put out bar bait but so far hav'nt had any in the class c but when I had the class a it was a common occurance of catching mice, I made a 5 gal pail trap and that worked well but when winter came I put rv antifreeze in it but that stuff will freeze this I did not know so I am sure the mice just climbed out of the bucket and so I went back to traps and bar bait.
I think rv antifreeze freezes but does not expand and that is what does damage here in minnesota -20 -25 is very common.

Tags
glue traps, mice, mouse