Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz...

Actually, it's not all that far away now that medical records have to be digitized. All an RFID would need to do is have your ID on it. That could be used to connect to a national database that would have links to doctors offices etc. that would have your records. Eventually, all your records themselves will be in a national database that can be accessed by authorized personnel from just your ID.
Sign me up. May make medical treatment and maintenance prescriptions a breeze when going full-time. The fear of big brother is silly. If they want to know, they'll find a way, chip or no chip. Ok - taking off tinfoil hat now.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #16

Our dogs are chipped too. Have to get them chipped and genetic tested to breed then when imported from outside the US.

I don't think the chip needs to be implanted. I am all for a smart card, like some of the new credit cards that can be programmed and scanned hold my medical records. Seems like a middle ground between big brother and big help.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #17

My pound puppy is chipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2375799670.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	33213  
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin
don't think the chip needs to be implanted. I am all for a smart card, like some of the new credit cards that can be programmed and scanned hold my medical records. Seems like a middle ground between big brother and big help.
As long as the mugger gave you the card back before walking off with your wallet.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #19

I would have no problem with it, just retired after 35 years as a police officer, it sure could have come in handy about a thousand times, make that several thousand times.
Dr. Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HA! it's Tin-Foil Hat time! With all the airborne drone controversy, (using drones in the US for surveillance), the RFID scare suddenly becomes a little more scary. Imagine drone aircraft scanning you as they fly over, keeping tabs on your location at all times. Even if you're not doing anything wrong, it's still a creepy proposition.
Preposterous? Maybe, but things could be a bit different twenty years from now. We seem to be giving up our rights at a rapid rate.
However, in the interest of staying on topic, we had our three cats chipped. It cost about $60 each and you can register them for free with a pet database.
Microchip Registry | Free Pet Microchipping Registration | Found Animals
We only take one with us on trips, but you never know when one might escape from the S&B.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moved from Japan to Australia with a dog in 2000 and a chip was required. All the paper work had to have the chip code on it so the custom folks could ensure everything matched up. The chip was on $20 or so back then. About the size of a grain of rice. I think it's a very good idea for pets. People, well you can joke about it but it ranks up there with concentration camp numbers being tattooed on forearms. Going to be a long time, I hope, before it happens.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #22

This same topic came up today at the vets getting our 16 week old Havanese pups their shots. Thay stated that on three ocations within the last 3 months people brought in dogs that had been reported stolen/lost yet the people that brought them in claimed they had owned them since pups. When they were told that the dogs had chips showing ownership to others they all left the vet immediately.
The cost at our vet is $65 and we travel so we will have them chipped. I do wish that there was a chip that showed where the pet was (like gps) but I am sure that would be expensive.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Sign me up. May make medical treatment and maintenance prescriptions a breeze when going full-time. The fear of big brother is silly. If they want to know, they'll find a way, chip or no chip. Ok - taking off tinfoil hat now.
If you want to carry your medical history with you (For a small annual fee) it is very easy. I wear a necklace, and eventually will get some other jewlery that all has a number stamped on it, and a symbol (I"m not even going to try to spell it, But Wikipedia knows how..Caduceus.) on it, There is also a 1-800 number.. A doctor calls the number, gives them his fax number, and my number, and information appears as if by magic.

The name on the tag.. MEDIC ALERT,, I think it's a doc com but it might be an org.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been done already

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
This same topic came up today at the vets getting our 16 week old Havanese pups their shots. Thay stated that on three ocations within the last 3 months people brought in dogs that had been reported stolen/lost yet the people that brought them in claimed they had owned them since pups. When they were told that the dogs had chips showing ownership to others they all left the vet immediately.
The cost at our vet is $65 and we travel so we will have them chipped. I do wish that there was a chip that showed where the pet was (like gps) but I am sure that would be expensive.
Advanced Dog GPS Tracking Systems | Tagg the Pet Tracker
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #25

One of our three dogs is chipped. It cost about $50 back then. We did it when she was a pup and it was just like getting a shot with a little bit larger needle. One of the other dogs is a Maltese and the vet said that possibly the needle would be to big for him. The other is a Schnouser (sp) and we may have him chipped because he is an escape artist and a fast runner, hence his name Rocky (the rocket). As for me, I don't think I would mind a chip, so if I was injured and no identification was available, the Dr"s could at least save my life.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to ShesJustJodi
Interesting reading. I have never chipped my pets because I felt if *I* would never take a chip, I would be a hypocrite chipping my pets. This is making me rethink chipping Annie. She is so beautiful and likes to run... Hhmmm.
ShesJustJodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #27

WE never chipped our pets because we didn't feel the need, they were always with us.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr
WE never chipped our pets because we didn't feel the need, they were always with us.
You just reminded me of something for the pet peeves thread we've been going round n round in like a dog chasin' his tail. Always and Never. Lol. enjoy the sunshine!