Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not only is Lily microchipped, I also have an ID tag on her collar that reads, "Lily, (my cell phone #), REWARD". The first tag only had REWARD and my cell #, but after the 3rd person called her Reward, with a real funny look towards me, I added her name. My attempt to make the text on her small tag larger backfired.

I have similar tags on my key rings. I like the idea of getting things back ASAP when I misplace them. So far I haven't needed them. If the day comes that I need a tag to get me back where I belong, I won't protest being chipped. I don't plan on doing anything or going anywhere that I would want to keep secret.

Personally, I think we lost all possibility of privacy long ago.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can get tennis shoes etc with GPS built in. I agree on privacy lost. You can hide until you use a credit or debit card - cell phone or get caught on camera where you'd least expect it. Smile - Say Cheese!

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding those who say "I'd never chip a dog till I chip myself"... You can normally speak for yourself, plus if you are ever in a position where you can not there is a chance your fingerprints, or other information, (Genetic) are on file (mine are, completely benign, nothing criminal, requirement of employment, same with my daughter, same reason, requirement for employment in her chosen line of work (Teacher)). Thus it's possible to ID you, plus you carry papers as a general rule (or plastic) driver's license, credit cards, that kind of thing.

Fido,, Well he can't speak at least not "Human" (he speaks dog of course) His finger,, er, paw prints are NOT on file,, You could put his DNA profile on a database but I'm not aware of one.. So the RFID chip speaks for him. Should he ever get dognapped (Watch movie Beethoven) you just might find him returned to you. The Dog napper will toss the collar.. but less he has a scanner, he won't even know there's a chip.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
You just reminded me of something for the pet peeves thread we've been going round n round in like a dog chasin' his tail. Always and Never. Lol. enjoy the sunshine!
Heehee, well, we never did, ever. LOL (you are sounding a bit like my husband now

PS, its very cloudy now, and apparently for the rest of the week here in Az. :(
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Regarding those who say "I'd never chip a dog till I chip myself"... You can normally speak for yourself, plus if you are ever in a position where you can not there is a chance your fingerprints, or other information, (Genetic) are on file (mine are, completely benign, nothing criminal, requirement of employment, same with my daughter, same reason, requirement for employment in her chosen line of work (Teacher)). Thus it's possible to ID you, plus you carry papers as a general rule (or plastic) driver's license, credit cards, that kind of thing.

Fido,, Well he can't speak at least not "Human" (he speaks dog of course) His finger,, er, paw prints are NOT on file,, You could put his DNA profile on a database but I'm not aware of one.. So the RFID chip speaks for him. Should he ever get dognapped (Watch movie Beethoven) you just might find him returned to you. The Dog napper will toss the collar.. but less he has a scanner, he won't even know there's a chip.
Off topic, but related to you post - maybe someone will move it to maybe...a privacy thread? (this is 'just conversation...)
Why does your employer request your fingerprints?
Why would the Bank of America want my fingerprints to cash a traveller's cheque?
Why does everyone in the US want their citizen's Social Security number?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #34

My opinion only!

I like the idea of chipping and I too wish they had some type of GPS attached to them. However I too wish it wasn't just for animals. Kids and criminals should have them. Doesn't have to be direct identification, it can show up on local Law Enforcement screens as a number, that number in turn would have to be given to the FBI for direct identification to Authorized personnel. Kids can have chips installed in various areas of the body at a young age so they will not know where the chip is, and can have it removed when they turn 18 years of age. Just think, no more missing kids, no more repeat offenders........ well, if they do repeat they will be taken off the streets the next day.

Yes, that is another form of big brother stepping in but I would rather big brother step in to protect that to take my protection away........ I won't elaborate on that, you know what I mean......
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Point of order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
By 2016 all dogs in England need to be chipped by law. Will our grand kids be microchipped too? I can hear the arguments for chipping all people, your medical history could be on it, etc.
A question for the O.P. re. just exactly what it is we're supposed to be talking about here:

Is the subject here pet microchipping, or was that just a sort of blind lead into a discussion of all the things we're supposed to be Paranoid about, as if we don't have enough REAL problems?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
But we digress....

Happens all the time here. Too much time on our collective hands.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #37

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
It was just a story in the NYT I read and thought I'd share. I do admit I wondered about the pros and cons of chipping people!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #38

So, no harm done then.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
It was just a story in the NYT I read and thought I'd share. I do admit I wondered about the pros and cons of chipping people!
If by "NYT" you mean the "New York Times":

The New York Times ran a story linking pet microchipping in some kind of a straight-line to a plan to "chip" humans, specifically American Humans????

I respectfully request a link, since if the Times actually gave this theory any credence I really MUST start worrying about it!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN
Perhaps this is why you posted it under Just Conversation - in the hopes that the thread police would give us some leeway too converse. No such luck. I've found the whole thing interesting myself. But then again I can hold multiple ideas in my head at the same time. Lol. Man - I'd say the definition of too much time on your hands is policing conversations you don't even have to be a part of. I'm just funny that way. Great topic all the way around and I don't think we've been too far off the mark with the broader discussion. The purpose of the chip is the same in chimp, chump, granny or Fido.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #41

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
If by "NYT" you mean the "New York Times":

The New York Times ran a story linking pet microchipping in some kind of a straight-line to a plan to "chip" humans, specifically American Humans????

I respectfully request a link, since if the Times actually gave this theory any credence I really MUST start worrying about it!
The story was on England requiring the chips, the comments below it were making the stretch. And I must say the comments on this thread were very polite and well thought out, you should read some of the ones posted under the papers article. I read the NYT on my iPad every morning after my local paper but just before I hit MLB. Hmmm, RV trip to spring training sounds fun!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
The story was on England requiring the chips, the comments below it were making the stretch. And I must say the comments on this thread were very polite and well thought out, you should read some of the ones posted under the papers article. I read the NYT on my iPad every morning after my local paper but just before I hit MLB. Hmmm, RV trip to spring training sounds fun!
I get it!

Thanks for the explanation.

I s'pose it doesn't really matter anyway, since weren't we all microchipped by way of black helicopters shooting darts into our posteriors way back in the '80's? Well, except for folks in the military. They got theirs during routine medical procedures, according to famous ex-Gulf War hero Timothy McVeigh...

Here's a link to an authoritative article on the subject.