Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #1

Yes, we're BAAAAAAACK -- after a LONG hiatus from IRV2 . . . There's LOTS of news from the Mik Family, which some of you folks already know from other forums.

First thing is, we MOVED! Yuppers, we moved 250 miles north of our old house. We are now officially in the "middle of nowhere"! The new place is GREAT, with a HUGE tri-level house (over 3,000 square feet and EIGHT bedrooms!) just over two acres, an old barn, and most importantly, PLENTY of room to park our 5er! We can actually TURN AROUND on the gravel to park next to the house! How cool is THAT?! We have a dairy farm across the street for neighbors -- and they're wonderful folks. The next nearest neighbor is about 1/2 a mile away! It's really GREAT to be able to crank the music and not worry about bothering someone!

Next, most important news is that we have CHICKENS! Yep, Fred, Ethel, Lucy and Myrtle. With the three girls, we have enough eggs that we don't need to buy them anymore! Certainly, there's nothing better than FRESH eggs! The chickens have been a HUGE source of entertainment for us, and have actually learned to come when I call them! Of course I always give them treats when I call them, but, now they come RUNNING! Have you ever seen a chicken actually RUN? It's really incredible. Plus, I've found out that the chickens are really good for my mental health!!

Next on the news list is the fact that, even though Greg's new employer moved us up here in July, they decided to terminate him six months later! Yes, indeed. After spending all that money to move us, and having Greg in charge of the entire second shift operations, after being off for one week with pneumonia, they terminated him. The owner (Greg's boss) is a complete jerk, and seeing as the company is self-insured, had a fit when he saw the doctor bills (almost $5,000 worth). So, we are now in the middle of nowhere and neither of us is employed!

Don't worry, though . . . we're working on things! We've decided that we weren't brought up here for Greg to work for that employer, but there HAS to be another reason. We were trying to figure out what we could do, when we realized that there is NO RV supply store anywhere up here! We are in North Central Wisconsin, on Highway 29. For those that don't know, Highway 29 is a MAJOR thoroughfare from the Twin Cities all the way to Green Bay. When we moved up here in July, we watched the traffic, and at least every third vehicle was some sort of RV. What better industry for us to get involved in than the ever-growing RV industry!

So, we are now in the process of squeezing those lemons we've been handed and the lemonaide will soon be coming, along with the "RVing Outpost!" We're busy writing our business plan and getting things together to get the store up and running by June, at the latest! We're going to add internet sales to it, as well and have already secured our domain name!

So, life is good, life sucks, and life is back to being good! Sounds pretty normal to me!

Hope everyone is doing well, and we'll be sure to hang out here a little more often!

Julie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #2

Yes, we're BAAAAAAACK -- after a LONG hiatus from IRV2 . . . There's LOTS of news from the Mik Family, which some of you folks already know from other forums.

First thing is, we MOVED! Yuppers, we moved 250 miles north of our old house. We are now officially in the "middle of nowhere"! The new place is GREAT, with a HUGE tri-level house (over 3,000 square feet and EIGHT bedrooms!) just over two acres, an old barn, and most importantly, PLENTY of room to park our 5er! We can actually TURN AROUND on the gravel to park next to the house! How cool is THAT?! We have a dairy farm across the street for neighbors -- and they're wonderful folks. The next nearest neighbor is about 1/2 a mile away! It's really GREAT to be able to crank the music and not worry about bothering someone!

Next, most important news is that we have CHICKENS! Yep, Fred, Ethel, Lucy and Myrtle. With the three girls, we have enough eggs that we don't need to buy them anymore! Certainly, there's nothing better than FRESH eggs! The chickens have been a HUGE source of entertainment for us, and have actually learned to come when I call them! Of course I always give them treats when I call them, but, now they come RUNNING! Have you ever seen a chicken actually RUN? It's really incredible. Plus, I've found out that the chickens are really good for my mental health!!

Next on the news list is the fact that, even though Greg's new employer moved us up here in July, they decided to terminate him six months later! Yes, indeed. After spending all that money to move us, and having Greg in charge of the entire second shift operations, after being off for one week with pneumonia, they terminated him. The owner (Greg's boss) is a complete jerk, and seeing as the company is self-insured, had a fit when he saw the doctor bills (almost $5,000 worth). So, we are now in the middle of nowhere and neither of us is employed!

Don't worry, though . . . we're working on things! We've decided that we weren't brought up here for Greg to work for that employer, but there HAS to be another reason. We were trying to figure out what we could do, when we realized that there is NO RV supply store anywhere up here! We are in North Central Wisconsin, on Highway 29. For those that don't know, Highway 29 is a MAJOR thoroughfare from the Twin Cities all the way to Green Bay. When we moved up here in July, we watched the traffic, and at least every third vehicle was some sort of RV. What better industry for us to get involved in than the ever-growing RV industry!

So, we are now in the process of squeezing those lemons we've been handed and the lemonaide will soon be coming, along with the "RVing Outpost!" We're busy writing our business plan and getting things together to get the store up and running by June, at the latest! We're going to add internet sales to it, as well and have already secured our domain name!

So, life is good, life sucks, and life is back to being good! Sounds pretty normal to me!

Hope everyone is doing well, and we'll be sure to hang out here a little more often!

Julie

Old 02-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Glad your back. Sounds like you were busy too.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, good luck to you! I hope you and your chickens make a million dollars! Or that you make so much money you can hire someone to run the store and let you go camping!
Much the same story here. But it is long and I am tired.
Have fun and when I get over that way I will surely stop in.
Chet
Old 02-09-2005, 06:38 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Go Mik !!

That was the best display of an incredible attitude I have read in a while. The same sort of business situation (big lemon) arrived in my lap 16 years ago and without a moments delay i also got out a pad of paper and sat in a quiet room and decided to write down any possible solutions (lemonaide.) That next year I went from a junior clerk with a lousy boss who fired people based soley upon the extent of his hangover to where i now have 35 employees of my own and 10000 feet of owned warehouse and still growing. Oh, and I bought him out when his bankruptcy loomed. (zero freetime but loving it.) I think your attitude and plan puts you on a short track for some kind of good results.

Please post pictures of your new driveway and those chickens. Continue to work on that business plan, it is what will make or break your idea. Work on that like it is one of your kids. It will take care of you in your old age (as versus your kids .)
Good luck,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mik Family;
Welcome back and good luck on your new venture. You did not say if you were on 29 East or West of Wausau?. A couple of weeks ago I was out shopping for R/Vs and traveled 29 from Wausau to Green Bay. I was wondering if I pased your place?

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
To The Mik Family,

Great out look on life, best of luck, and you sure sound like you have what it takes to get your business up and running!!! Keep the faith, and if were ever in your area we are sure to stop in and buy something!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #8

Thanks, everyone! We sure appreciate all the support!

Don and Bev, you missed us by a mere 30 miles! We are west of Wausau, and hope to open the store in Abbotsford. I'm curious, even though you were shopping for an RV, and not parts, supplies or accessories, if our store had been open and you saw signs for it, would you have taken the detour to Abbotsford to come and see what we have? Truly, we are very interested in whether we'll get folks off Highway 51 coming to visit. Just doing some more "unscientific" research! :-)

Julie

Oh, and here's an aerial view of our new house.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:42 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Nice layout!! I wouldn't just call that a circular driveway that the RV fits on, I would call that an RV park.
What are your plans for the good sized barn?

[QUOTE...]The chickens have been a HUGE source of entertainment for us, and have actually learned to come when I call them! Of course I always give them treats when I call them, but, now they come RUNNING! [/QUOTE]

We had Pavlov's dogs, now we have Mik's chicks,
(and yes I'll quit posting for one week because of that one)
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mik Bud II:
Thanks, everyone! We sure appreciate all the support!

Don and Bev, you missed us by a mere 30 miles! We are west of Wausau, and hope to open the store in Abbotsford. I'm curious, even though you were shopping for an RV, and not parts, supplies or accessories, if our store had been open and you saw signs for it, would you have taken the detour to Abbotsford to come and see what we have? Truly, we are very interested in whether we'll get folks off Highway 51 coming to visit. Just doing some more "unscientific" research! :-)

Julie

Oh, and here's an aerial view of our new house.

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL437...4/64123872.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Julie;
Iwould not have stopped when I was in Wausau this last time because I was on a tight schedule. I usually go to Ashland a couple of times a year and often go up Hwy 13 or come home that way. I sure would stop if you had the room to get turned and park towing a car. Some times 2 or 3 of us travel together. Keep us informed as your plans come together as R/Ving is our only hobby.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Julie, sure sorry to hear about the jerk of a boss. Sure hope that my employeer (not self-insured) does not get that bug as one medication I am on is $2200.00 per month. Thankfully, I only have a $100.00 copay to get a 90 day supply.

Best of luck with your venture.

Ken
Old 02-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #12

Fatdog, I have often thought of and referred to Pavlov's dogs when thinking about the chickens and how they come running to me! I had to find a way to get them to come to me, because they roam free in the yard during the day. After about a month, they discovered the joys of the cornfield behind us. They LOVE bugs, and there are LOTS of bugs in a cornfield! I had no idea that they had a good enough sense of direction to make their way back to the coop at dusk after wandering around in the cornfield all day!

The barn is not in the best shape and parts of it are falling down. We have done some research and it first shows up on the plat maps in 1903, so it's over 100 years old. We kind of thought that, because the silo itself is WOOD! For now, we have our utility trailer and boat stored in there, along with some other stuff. The loft is HUGE, but is quite useless, because the wood planks used for the floor are only 1/4 inch, instead of the standard 1/2 inch, and is rather dangerous -- we've already had some close calls with feet breaking through the boards. Greg has someone coming over next week to look at it and see if it's worth trying to fix . . . We'd love to do it, but for now, our budget won't allow us, as we have to concentrate on our day-to-day expenses.

Here's a picture of the chickens in the garage. They are actually on the stoop in the garage, where they sit and wait for me to come out and give them treats! I think if I let them, they'd follow me into the house!

Don and Bev, thanks for the honest reply! Being familiar with Highway 13, do you know where the Shell station is in Colby? They have a free RV dump there that we've used in the past. I'm thinking of posting a sign there to let folks know about the store just down the road.

The property we are hoping to lease is in the East Town Mall on Business 29 in on the east side of Abbotsford (about 1/2 a mile east of Highway 13). There's a Pamida, Dollar General, Ben Franklin, and a couple other stores there.
Being RVers ourselves, and being around 50 feet long when we're pulling, sufficient parking space is high on our list of "must haves" at the new store. At the mall, the parking lot is HUGE. We could easliy fit more than 30 rigs in there and still have plenty of room for folks to maneuver in and out.

Aside from the physical store, we are working on our website to have internet sales as well, so folks, you don't have to be in the neighborhood to visit with us!

Ken -- that's some expensive medicine! Yikes! I'm always amazed at how much is charged for meds these days. You'd think they had gold in them or something! After Greg's transplant, I had to give him two shots (similar to Procrit)every couple of days, that were $500 each. Fortunately, we only had a $20 co-pay at the time.

It's amazing how callous some employers can be. Calling the man a jerk was really being quite kind. Greg was happy to be out of there, and we had been actively looking for a new job, but we wanted him to leave on our terms, not theirs. The treatment of the employees is is abombinable. This "man" has been known to literally push and shove employees around and screams at everyone. He runs that place through fear. He also has a lot of the employees on the hook because he loans them money, so they are afraid to say or do anything about his treatment of them. Some of them even have their mortgage through him, so they're basically held captive by this madman. He feels that he can do anything he wants because it's HIS company.

Unfortunately, nothing was as it seemed during the interview process. He drove up here three times to meet with the owner. Greg got along with this man like they were father and son. He wanted Greg to make changes and improve the efficiency of the place and was going to leave him in complete control of the 2nd shift operations. It was fantastic and seemd like a dream come true for him! He was so excited and happy for the first week. It was awesome. THEN, the truth started coming out. They wouldn't allow him to do anything or make any changes. It was awful. Like I said, he wanted out anyway, just not like this!

If he wasn't out, we'd never even be thinking about opening our own store, so maybe it's for the best! He's certainly happier now that he doesn't have to go to that place any more!

Julie