Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
It seems to me, most DP's are dumped(traded), before the tires time out. No one really keeps them, it's the second or third owner, that keeps it the longest. The first owner of a new coach is never satisfied.

woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm sure that what you say here can be true but my personal experience doesn't bare it out.................... We are happier with our coach than we would be with a new one because we have made it our own.
I don't consider 100k to be high mileage for your unit. Mine is a '96 and only has 64k on it, and I consider it to be almost new mechanically..! I've had it for 7 years and have had no expensive repairs or failures. Like you, I love my old rig, and have it set up pretty much like I want it.

I was mostly responding to the attitude that mileage doesn't matter since the diesel is good for umpteen,000,000 miles. While some will chose to ignore the mileage value, others will not. But, I will still consider maintenance and condition as being more important in selecting a diesel motorhome for purchase.

Ken & Jeannie
96 Vectra Grand Tour 35' DP
Jacey (terri-poo, waiting at the rainbow bridge), Jack (silky terrier)
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
It seems to me, most DP's are dumped(traded), before the tires time out. No one really keeps them, it's the second or third owner, that keeps it the longest. The first owner of a new coach is never satisfied.
Very astute observation. Every 2007 2008 coach I have looked at has had the original tires on it. Luckily I negotiated new tires in the deal. It does seem like owners of new rigs tend to buy another new rig.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #18
I will preface my comments by saying I do not own a DP, but have spent half my life operating diesel trucks. A modern day big rig with a two driver team can average close to 5000 miles a week (what I put on my MH in a year.) That is a 1/4 million miles in one year. In addition they are often lugging 80000 lbs around, considerably less than most RVs. A properly maintained diesel powerplant and transmission is just playing with the normal RVers use.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #19
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
A properly maintained diesel powerplant and transmission is just playing with the normal RVers use.
I agree. In the four years that I've owned my MH, the driveline has not cost me anything other than for routine preventive maintenance. My CAT C12 and Allison 4060 were designed for far heavier loads than the 37,000 pounds my coach and toad provide. I enjoy climbing steep hills with them because it's so much fun with such a grossly overpowered MH. You can tell the engine and tranny don't mind it because their temps hardly move. We climbed Cabbage Hill in OR last year and never dropped below 50 and the engine temp didn't even get to 200.

The non-routine costs I've had in the past four years were entirely failures of other MH subsystems--an inverter that died along with the hydraulic pump that powers the main slide and leveling system and a few smaller items. I haven't been quite as lucky as some others, but my total costs would have been <$5k if I hadn't decided to replace the inverter with a larger, modern pure sine wave model and I didn't do any of the repairs myself.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote