Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loved my four years in the Navy, 1960-1964. Would gladly do it over, anytime. No regrets, became responseable. Guarding dumpsters in Dec. in the Great Lakes, not fun, but a wake up call.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #16

Wisk and a scrub brush !!!
Sounds like MCRD San Diego in early 1970s
Clay Bryant
USMC 73-77

Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I graduated from Hi School in June of 61. It was a recession at the time and there was no money for college. July 13, 1961 I was on the train to Great Lakes Boot Camp. As I recall it, the barracks were built for the WWII guys and the only "modern convenience" was pop (soda, Coke, Pepsi) machine. We were fortunate enough to draw BT1 (Boiler Tender 1-E6) Osgood as out DI. BT1 Osgood had a penchant for imbibing and coming back to the barracks after last call at the fine establishments outside the gate, to hold locker inspection. He would usually find some errant individual who had incorrectly folded something in his locker. What fun we had emptying the contents of the whole company's lockers and practicing our marching at 0400 or so in the morning.

As has been said before, the experience was priceless but I sure as heck would not want to repeat it.

One more thing, when I finally made it to a Ship (a WWII class can...destroyer to the uninitiated) I discovered the when the ship left the dock some swabbies got seasick as soon as it was announced the lines (ropes to the uninitiated) had been removed from the quay (dock for the uninitiated).
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #18

MCRD Paris Island, SC 64-84 (retired). Marine Aviation - Helicopters and the best 20 years of my life!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #19

MCRD San Diego 1972-1976, Platoon 2103!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #20

Joined the AF in 82 right out of high school. I was tired of sitting in classrooms and knew college wasn't for me. I signed up because that's what I wanted to do, be in the Air Force. Basic Training in those days was a breeze. Nothing like the Army, Navy or Marines. 6 Weeks in and out. I loved my time in the military, 9 years 11 months and 29 days. I still look on it as the best time of my life.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #21

New Horizons Owners Club
I don't recall any love or even liking of my 3 years 9 months and 4 days of service in the Air Force. I was still seventeen when I entered. I could touch type and ended up in personnel. I did my duty and was never in trouble and was separated as an Airman First Class (E-4).

My life has been immeasurably better as a result of my service though. I have a wonderful wife whom I met at a dance on Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base. I used the GI bill for college. We are not wealthy, but we are more than comfortable. Without the 51 year marriage and the college, I would not be in the very satisfactory situation I find myself in today.

I would encourage any young person who wants a good life to serve in the military. If he chooses, he can at a minimum become educated without incurring the incredible debt most college graduates accumulate today.

Thank you all for your service. It is an honor to be associated with heroes like yourselves.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #22

I enlisted in the Army in 1969. I went in on the buddy plan with two other guys. One left a week before me and a buddy went and up in Chicago we were split up. So much for the buddy plan. I was on a plane for Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. and the pilot was notified that Ft. Leonard Wood was locked down because of an outbreak of spinal meningitis so we were flown to Ft. Polk, LA. Down there we were the only platoon of YANKEES! We never passed an inspection the whole time we were there. Civil War was still going on ya know My class mate that left a week before we did was killed on his first mission in Viet-Nam. My brother was over there at the time and I did not have to go. (that was the rules then) I volunteered to go to Nam and was there Sept. 70-71. They had told me I could see my brother once I got over there but once again that wasn't quite the truth. Didn't see him till we both got back. It's funny how you remember the good times and kind of forget the not so good. For the life of me, I cannot remember eating over in Nam but twice. Just can't remember eating. Must have done it though. The first time I ate at our base the food looked good and didn't taste too bad. The cooks had made fresh bread. It had sesame seeds in it................ Turns out it wasn't sesame seeds, it was gnats. If you looked real close you could make them out. I was young and dumb. I'm older now.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #23

My FIL got his draft notice while he was in The Marine Corps. He was at Paris Island and returned it with a ease get me out of here!
They didn't. He was 3-9 in 63-64 as an S2.
Dad was Army between Vietnam and Korea, stationed in Anchorage.
I was 54B (NBC) in the late 80's. they broke me and tossed me out. I became Jody and saw my brethren go to Saudi. My Stepdad went to Saudi with the Air Force.
Whole darn crowd left me home.

Still miss it some days.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
MCRD San Diego Jan. 1960, Platoon 111. So much fun I couldn't believe it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #25

Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. Jan 11, 1990.

Bunch of us Cajuns saw snow for the first time in our life.

19 below zero during BIVOUAC. Not fond of snow and Ice to this day because of it.

DI's called us Gator Boys the whole time along with a few other choice words.

One of the most amazing memories I have is during one freezing a$$ cold morning on the obstacle course, one of the obstacles was you had to low crawl through about a foot deep of water, most of it ice. None of us wanted to do it, the DI called us a bunch of pansies ( well the first letter is right anyway) he took off running dove into the water and ice and navigated the obstacle like nobody's business.

The rest of us fought to be the first to jump in and follow his lead. My first lesson in true leadership.

Jody did get my girl while I was gone, but in the end I won. I got a much better one and still happily married to her today.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #26

January 1962 was the time I was introduced to basic training at Ft. Dix in NJ. I went through parts of 3 different basic training over a 5 month period because of persistant pneumonia than I was shipped down to Ft Lee in Virginia and promptly got off the bus and went to the mens room. I didn't know there were two bathrooms, one for whites and one for blacks. I went to the black one and the bus station all looked. My introduction to the south. Being a Brooklyn boy I knew not of such things. Anyway I did almost three years as a company armorer. Before getting out in December 64 the army offered my $8,000 to reinlist. Considering you could buy a new GTO for $2400 than the offer did not make sense and I declined or possibly I would have been one of the 58,000 who never made it home.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

For me it was Parris Island Marine Corp.Boot Camp 1967 and it was definitely not a cake walk.The DIs beat the crap out of us every chance they got and they had alot of chances but,that made us ready for just about anything.I joined with a buddy if mine and we were separated right after bootcamp.He went to Nam and I was lucky and ended up in Okinawa Japan.Thank all of you for your service.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
I enlisted in the Army in 1969. I went in on the buddy plan with two other guys. One left a week before me and a buddy went and up in Chicago we were split up. So much for the buddy plan. I was on a plane for Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. and the pilot was notified that Ft. Leonard Wood was locked down because of an outbreak of spinal meningitis so we were flown to Ft. Polk, LA. Down there we were the only platoon of YANKEES! We never passed an inspection the whole time we were there. Civil War was still going on ya know My class mate that left a week before we did was killed on his first mission in Viet-Nam. My brother was over there at the time and I did not have to go. (that was the rules then) I volunteered to go to Nam and was there Sept. 70-71. They had told me I could see my brother once I got over there but once again that wasn't quite the truth. Didn't see him till we both got back. It's funny how you remember the good times and kind of forget the not so good. For the life of me, I cannot remember eating over in Nam but twice. Just can't remember eating. Must have done it though. The first time I ate at our base the food looked good and didn't taste too bad. The cooks had made fresh bread. It had sesame seeds in it................ Turns out it wasn't sesame seeds, it was gnats. If you looked real close you could make them out. I was young and dumb. I'm older now.
Charlie, I sent you a private message