Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Our frig automatically switches back and forth from propane
to electric as well. That is why it has an "auto" mode which
defaults to electric, and when the electric goes away it switches
right over to propane and when the electric comes back it
switches to it and cuts out the propane.
A lot of people are incapable of saying "I don't know". So it
seems they make up an answer based on rumor, best guess,
or their version of logic. And service techs and dealers are
not exempt from this problem, and then there are
straight out liars, which is what you likely encountered.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I think that we are all at different stages in our RV journey, and this story sounds like the couple were beginners. Also, many people, for whatever reason, know next to nothing about anything remotely technical. Witness a post some time back where the guy asked how to tell what brand chassis he had (the forum response was to look at the logo on the steering wheel ). These are the ones who call and pay for repairs for whatever goes wrong - whether in their house or RV. This doesn't make them bad people; they will either eventually gain a lot of RV knowledge like most of us, or will continue to need and pay for outside help for any issue.

When responding to RV, car, dealer, or house issues, a little knowledge can be a powerful thing...
Then there are those who think they know how to 'fix it', but if you asked the wife... they'd tell you it would be less expense and aggravation in the long run just to call the repair person to begin with....

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #17

It's a shame that those folks were lied to

It's even more of a shame they didn't take the time to read the fridge manual and all the other manuals that came with their RV. NOT the generic RV Owners Manual BUT the individual manuals that cover the various components/appliances.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #18

There is a host of issues involved. I have gotten good information from salesmen and RV techs so not all are totally ignorant. At Camping World among other places. ;-)

The bigger issue is the level of professionalism around these days. When I started in the technician business back in the 1960's we learned the theory behind what we worked on and often detailed explanations of circuitry when needed. We were expected to troubleshoot to the component level so we could change a part or two and repair the unit. As time progressed the emphasis shifted to teaching module replacement using some version of a trouble shooting chart. That morphed again into a model with a help desk that did the trouble shooting and then send somebody a module to change. Every change reduced both what the companies expected us to know and what they expected to pay us for the work we did. They also dialed back how much education and information was provided. Being really old school I saw the shifts. The younger folks I worked with never saw the older systems so they really think they are competent when they do not have a clue by our old standards. I know the mechanical folks had a similar change and think salesmen did likewise as far as both product education and expectation. Now we reap the reward of letting the bean counters and spread sheets make all the decisions. No parts in stock because stock costs money and poorly educated folks on the floor because education takes time and costs money. But that poorly installed granite counter top really makes the unit better than a well made solid formica counter. Just look at the price and the claims.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #19

Agree. But, that doesn't mean that even new owners should not attempt to understand some RV system basics. The issue is to "know what you don't know" and get service help when you realize a repair is beyond your skill level.

Getting back to the original post, the new owners might not have been so gullible if they had taken the time to read the manuals for various appliances. If these are missing for a used unit, they are usually available on-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Then there are those who think they know how to 'fix it', but if you asked the wife... they'd tell you it would be less expense and aggravation in the long run just to call the repair person to begin with....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

I say there is a good chance this dealer got paid for the repair twice. A call to Dutchman could verify.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Bigd9
Unfortunately I have found that you can only believe half of what you read...very little of what a RV tech says... and nothing that RV techs, RV salesmen and other self proclaimed RV "experts" say.
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel: I have 13 customer service award shirts from Fleetwood. (After a repair Fleetwood (the old Fleetwood) gets in touch with the customer and sees if he is happy with the service visit. You have to have a 95% customer approval to get a customer service award.) I have had Bob Tiffin send me customers from as far away as Texas to a cure for problems other dealers were unable to fix. Not all RV techs are liars and lazy good for nothings.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
And thus is the birth of a brand new Superstition

They spread like wildfire and live a long time.

Dick
Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Agree. But, that doesn't mean that even new owners should not attempt to understand some RV system basics. The issue is to "know what you don't know" and get service help when you realize a repair is beyond your skill level.

Getting back to the original post, the new owners might not have been so gullible if they had taken the time to read the manuals for various appliances. If these are missing for a used unit, they are usually available on-line.
Too true! I am the one who takes time to read the manuals! But then, it's my toy... He knows all about his toys.....
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Mel: I have 13 customer service award shirts from Fleetwood. (After a repair Fleetwood (the old Fleetwood) gets in touch with the customer and sees if he is happy with the service visit. You have to have a 95% customer approval to get a customer service award.) I have had Bob Tiffin send me customers from as far away as Texas to a cure for problems other dealers were unable to fix. Not all RV techs are liars and lazy good for nothings.
ga traveler
I agree.
I apologize for painting ALL RV techs with the same broad brush.
Sorry.

However since Bob Tiffin "sends you customers from as far away as Texas" you are aware that many, (maybe most?), ARE.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Maybe a little cynical here too.

I think for the most part, many might be further ahead assuming that line of thought (incompetent tech staff). If you're in the business, you're darn sure familiar with what most dealers are willing to pay - and the level of job security many face with lay offs during winter months pretty much a sure thing in many areas of the country.

There are exceptions for sure! The problem there is once the word gets out regarding those, getting your coach scheduled for work in any kind of a timely manner, can be very difficult.

Consider the popularity of returning the coach to where it was built for instance. Why would you think driving your coach half way across the country to get there is so popular? Because it's easy, or economical? Not likely. Much more likely is because you can get work done competently, done right the first time, or they'll make it right by you.