Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #1

Misinformation

I find forums in general have a lot of misinformation being posted and you have to read between the lines a lot to get the nugget of real sound facts. But I am seeing dealers putting out a lot of bad information also.

We met a couple yesterday who said they are in a new Dutchman travel trailer. They were telling us that to switch their refrigerator from propane to electric they were told to shut the refrigerator off, wait 2 hours then start it on electric. Otherwise they will "fry the converter". Same for the furnace. They shut down the propane furnace and wait 2 hours before starting the electric portable heaters "otherwise they were told it would fry the converter". Apparently they had to pay for a new converter because the dealer told them it was their fault it "got fried" because they didn't wait 2 hours before switching from propane to electric.

What do you think? I told them they need to join the iRV2 and ask questions from the experts and not rely on dealers as much for their information. We may not know everything, but it I trust you guys more than I trust dealers information!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #2

I think the dealership got them to pay for a repair to a converter that should have been on the dealership's dime. If someone told me that, I would respectfully ask them to point out in the literature that came with the coach the warning that stated that I had to wait two hours. Otherwise, they were paying for the repair
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

I would be inclined to ask where the relationship was between the 12 VDC converter running the furnace and the 120 VAC for the heaters. The man was an obvious liar.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Bigd9, we agree. A few direct calls to the technical support lines of the manufacturers that make the converters, refrigerators, and other subsystems found in most RVS can quickly get more reliable information. And we think many IRV2 members have been talking directly to subsystem suppliers for some time.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think they got "snookered", as we say down South!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I find forums in general have a lot of misinformation being posted and you have to read between the lines a lot to get the nugget of real sound facts. But I am seeing dealers putting out a lot of bad information also.
What do you think?
Bigd9
Unfortunately I have found that you can only believe half of what you read...very little of what a RV tech says... and nothing that RV techs, RV salesmen and other self proclaimed RV "experts" say.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Bigd9
Unfortunately I have found that you can only believe half of what you read...very little of what a RV tech says... and nothing that RV techs, RV salesmen and other self proclaimed RV "experts" say.
Mel
'96 Safari
I find that very cynical and depressing I am an adherent to Ronald Reagan's philosophy..."Trust but Verify!". I find that this does not leave me in a lurch nor cause me mental anguish or regrets.
I have shared lore/information that in retrospect has not been 100% accurate and appreciate the feedback that led me to greater understanding of what I thought I knew. I am sure all those RV techs, salesmen and experts would appreciate feedback to allow them to better serve their customers.
Bob
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What do you think? I told them they need to join the iRV2 and ask questions from the experts and not rely on dealers as much for their information.
I think they need to report that dealer to the Vehicle Regulators in the state in which it is located for ripping them off and lying.

Now I do admit there are 3 way fridges that can place a whomping load on the converter.... But there is no way, absolutly no way, I mean it is IMPOSSIBLE for the fridge to damage the converter by switching modes. Simply can not happen.

That is what I think, Certified electronics techinican, Ham Radio operator. Assoicates in applied sciene, (Pre-Engineering path) Published author (Technical articles) and more.

And I say it's IMPOSSIBLE for that dealer to be correct.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Changing the refrigerator from gas to electric or back should have no effect at all. In fact on ours it is automatic if the shore power goes out or when you plug into 110 power when you arrive at a camp site.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I've found the most accurate information for my particular coach comes from the American Coach techs on the 800 number. They not only give advice, but if a particular problem is complex, they will stay on the phone and talk you through the corrective action...step by step.

As for the forums, lots of good information, lots of bad information. If unsure about a suggestion, I will check with a person who has a similar coach or check a different forum. I will also consider the source of the post.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Very true, there is a world of information on forums, good and bad, and it takes time to decipher all of it and put together what is factual and correct info. As far as the RV salesperson, etc. it is true that they seldom truely know what they are talking about. The clown that sold me my coach fell into that category from the start. Funny thing is that some of these guys have no idea who they are talking to and that perhaps the customer knows a lot more than given credit for.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
Changing the refrigerator from gas to electric or back should have no effect at all. In fact on ours it is automatic if the shore power goes out or when you plug into 110 power when you arrive at a camp site.
Our refrigerator automatically switches also. When I mentioned that they said "Oh never let it switch like that or else you will be buying a converter". So that is when I suggested they joine here to get "expert" information.

Funny part, or not so funny, was it is 25 degrees here with nighttime temperatures dropping down to 14 tonight. She said when they were switching heat sources and waiting the 2 hours it got really cold inside!

So what other bad advice have y'all gotten?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #13

Salespeople in general have always had a reputation for being on the shady side. Not all fit into this category as I have dealt with a number over the years who are fair and ethical folks wether buying a house, car furniture etc.

However, in the past few years since I began my search for a motor home and after acquiring one, I have come across more outright liars in the RV business than any other industry. Why is that? Must be good commissions that attract them. I have met many that treat you like your a complete imbecile. I can see where someone who is not very mechanically inclined could be hoodwinked by these shysters very easily.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #14

I think that we are all at different stages in our RV journey, and this story sounds like the couple were beginners. Also, many people, for whatever reason, know next to nothing about anything remotely technical. Witness a post some time back where the guy asked how to tell what brand chassis he had (the forum response was to look at the logo on the steering wheel ). These are the ones who call and pay for repairs for whatever goes wrong - whether in their house or RV. This doesn't make them bad people; they will either eventually gain a lot of RV knowledge like most of us, or will continue to need and pay for outside help for any issue.

When responding to RV, car, dealer, or house issues, a little knowledge can be a powerful thing...

Quote:

We met a couple yesterday who said they are in a new Dutchman travel trailer. They were telling us that to switch their refrigerator from propane to electric they were told to shut the refrigerator off, wait 2 hours then start it on electric. Otherwise they will "fry the converter". Same for the furnace. They shut down the propane furnace and wait 2 hours before starting the electric portable heaters "otherwise they were told it would fry the converter". Apparently they had to pay for a new converter because the dealer told them it was their fault it "got fried" because they didn't wait 2 hours before switching from propane to electric.

What do you think? I told them they need to join the iRV2 and ask questions from the experts and not rely on dealers as much for their information. We may not know everything, but it I trust you guys more than I trust dealers information!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote