Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #1

Mission statement

I won't retype it. You can read it above.

Here's the problem, for me at least. You might be happy with it but I'm not.

Someone posts a question.

You respond and NOTHING from the OP.

The thread morphs into a bunch of people talking about whatever.

So we're supposed to be concerned with unanswered posts but what about acknowledgement of the replies?

Here's an example where I was involved: Adirondack Mountain Trip

Take a look. Did I take too long in posting the reply? Check out the date and time.

I typed that off the cuff to help out. It takes time for me to type it and I added to it when I realized some additional information.

If you're going to ask a question, it's your obligation to respond.

Include THAT in the mission statement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #2

Just because the original poster doesn't respond means the thread is useless. There are many threads as you describe above that contain further troubleshooting questions/responses from others trying to help.

Yes it is nice if the original poster can respond to let everyone know if the suggestions were helpful in resolving the issue but in most cases the hints/tricks/tips from respondents are more than enough to help others stumbling across the posts in the future with the same or similar problems. That is just how "forums" like this work.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #3

Just take a look at the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Just because the original poster doesn't respond means the thread is useless. There are many threads as you describe above that contain further troubleshooting questions/responses from others trying to help.

Yes it is nice if the original poster can respond to let everyone know if the suggestions were helpful in resolving the issue but in most cases the hints/tricks/tips from respondents are more than enough to help others stumbling across the posts in the future with the same or similar problems. That is just how "forums" like this work.
I understand unintended consequences.

Look at the thread, I gave its title.

Since it might be hard to find:

Adirondack Mountain Trip

Did you ever have a conversation with a person who has ADD?

You know what it's like. You're talking and all of a sudden you're talking to yourself because that person is looking every which way. Doesn't even wait for the sentence to finish?

Why bother posting a specific question making it sound important and not come back for the answer?

The unintended consequences in my example were positive. I continued to help. I did not just walk away.

It's about manners. Reciprocity is expected.

Further proof of what people expect. Texting, cell phones, email, Facebook, Twitter, blogs the list goes on forever. I don't even get into most of those insanities because I don't want the pressure of having to respond endlessly.

Here I pretty much decided to join in case I needed info and if I could help someone to do so. There is the pressure exerted by the mission statement. It's an obligation if I'm reading it right.

I'm just looking for reciprocity. I'm not mad about it. Just a little disappointed since I'm pretty much sure the age bracket most are in pretty much guarantees awareness of good manners.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

You've done your job by attempting to help and as I said above, just because the OP fails to respond doesn't mean that your input did not help someone else who stumbles across the thread either by accident or searching for the same information at some point in time, and after reading both pages of the thread I see that there are several others who thanked you for the information.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #5

That part, helping others participating in the thread, was rewarding to me. The OP just now PM'd me. I'm fine with his explanation.

The unintended consequence for me was to find out about the bridge coming down and seeing the video of it. I also found the webcams, which were interesting.

IC2's posts were acknowledged and I'm sure he appreciated the response.

So helping others does have it's rewards.

I could give another example of a no response to my help but won't. It did not stop me from helping out.

I just think a mention of this situation should be in the official mission statement at the top of the page.

This is not a complaint of not getting a thank you.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
....If you're going to ask a question, it's your obligation to respond.
With all due respect, I disagree. Posing a question does not require a response to an answer given. What makes our site special & stand above the rest is our members freely give their opinions & help without expecting either acknowledgement or thanks. While a response saying the tip or troubleshooting resolved (or not) the poster's issue is welcome, I feel we should not necessitate a response. We are not here for the praise or glory for our assistance; we are here to help fellow RV'rs in any way we can. That, in itself, is recognition enough. JMHO.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #7

I do not feel slighted by the author of a new thread not returning to offer feedback or the the outcome to replies. I do feel it is a direct reflection on the authors lack of manners and selflessness.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WOODYDEL,
I do not agree a response from an OP should be added to the iRV2 mission statement. You are climbing a steep hill and your expectations may be more than our society is willing to support. It's like when traveling down the highway with your coach. Too many people in other vehicles consistently tend to:
1. approach in the left lane fast and then hang around your rear bumper.
2. enter the highway at a very slow speed when in the acceleration lane. You can not move over due to traffic. You are forced to slow down and allow them to enter the highway. As soon as they enter the highway their NASCAR instincts take over and they accelerate away.
3. You move into the passing lane to allow cars to enter the highway. After entering the highway they match your speed. Traffic is backing up behind you can not slow down. The offending driver(s) slowly move ahead of you. Once completely ahead of you now they quickly accelerate away. Now both lanes are full of traffic and you are in the left lane unable to return to the right lane.

I could go on, but I hope you get the point. In general, when not dealing face to face, people are not courteous. Simple as that. Decent people put up with it or find a ways to avoid the situations.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #9

This posting of questions and getting no reply, not just to my postings I might add, is totally ridiculous. Especially, when they are looking for help and advice. Why should they post questions if they have no intention of having a two way "conversation"?. You know darn well it's totally rude. As was suggested above, I have now found the "way to avoid the situation". All because of the reluctance to "nicely" suggest something that makes social sense in the mission statement.

If this attitude you might think I have seems not "nice", keep in mind that being "nice" is a two way street.

Just why should two posts I made be put in the unanswered posts category. They are JOKES. They do not need a response. They should not even be there.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #10

Manners? Wuz that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I won't retype it. You can read it above.

Here's the problem, for me at least. You might be happy with it but I'm not.

Someone posts a question.

You respond and NOTHING from the OP.

The thread morphs into a bunch of people talking about whatever.

So we're supposed to be concerned with unanswered posts but what about acknowledgement of the replies?

Here's an example where I was involved: Adirondack Mountain Trip

Take a look. Did I take too long in posting the reply? Check out the date and time.

I typed that off the cuff to help out. It takes time for me to type it and I added to it when I realized some additional information.

If you're going to ask a question, it's your obligation to respond.

Include THAT in the mission statement.
After many years of posting; I quit posting and giving advise on the Workamper Forum for the same reason you mentioned. Got my "knickers knotted" so too say. Too many "Me" people arriving daily asking questions, which is the main purpose of the forum, but rarely introducing themselves. Once answered they vanish, never contributing. IMO, manners is an issue to contended with on and off any forum.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #11

Whether or not the original poster responds to answers is irrelevant.

What IS important are the suggestions, comments, hints, tips and tricks that others offer to the original post which, in most cases, helps anyone else searching through here with a same or similar problem.

What should they do? Make some silly rule that says you MUST respond to those who respond to you? Then by that logic anybody who's simply researching a problem should respond with a Thank you Really? I mean no disrepsect but these forums are full of anonymous people all sharing a common interest. I use the forums to help others just as much as I use them to find answers to questions I have. If you are not happy with how this works then I might suggest simply refraining from posting.

Just my $0.02 cents worth but this whole thread seems like a LOT of drama over nothing and in my opinion should be closed.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Woodydell,
I have read and enjoyed many of your informative posts that were not started by me, but I also failed to comment back to you. Your information is read and appreciated by many who do not post at all! Many people are running so fast on the treadmill of life they literally do not have time to reply.

In the immortal words of Jethro Tull's song entitled Wond'ring Aloud
"it's only the giving that makes you what you are"

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just read that complete article above and I am really totally completely absolutely confused concerning absolutely what the ''subject'' matter of the above article actually is.
one .... Does it concern a specific question posted and not replied to by a specific person?
two......Did someone pass an opinion and no one agreed with it?
three....Did someone not ask a question that was responded to in a negative manner?
four..... Why am I putting numbers on my questions?
five........ I bet no one answers my comments because no one on here likes me no more because I ask silly questions ......

Nuff said......
God bless our troops and bring them home real soon ...... and real safe ....
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I just read that complete article above and I am really totally completely absolutely confused concerning absolutely what the ''subject'' matter of the above article actually is.
one .... Does it concern a specific question posted and not replied to by a specific person?
yes and no
two......Did someone pass an opinion and no one agreed with it?
quite possibly
three....Did someone not ask a question that was responded to in a negative manner?
that is hard to answer
four..... Why am I putting numbers on my questions?
it is the only way to keep count
five........ I bet no one answers my comments because no one on here likes me no more because I ask silly questions ......
first time you've lost a bet this century

Nuff said......
God bless our troops and bring them home real soon ...... and real safe ....
Keep em coming SeeJay

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote