Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Mosquitoes: What do you use?

With all the products that claim they get rid of Mosquitoes just wondering what really works. I don't want a bug zapper (they make to much noise). I've found a (STINGER Nosquito MK100S 1/2 Acre Mosquito Killer) that looks like it might work. Anyone use one of these or have something that you would suggest?

arthur54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just use good old strong Deet. If that fails I would fall back to a small nuclear device....

87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
I set the wife outside and use her for a decoy.....Sceet'rs love her!!!
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Here we use bait stations and a shot gun, north of 49 they are big and mean. Seriously, deet seems to be the most effective. Even with that we have been forced to camp elsewhere a couple of times.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Down south I've become a believer of "Off" Clip on repellant. It clips on your belt and has a little battery powered fan that spreads the repellant. It works very well. If you are outside on the patio and have a fan you can clip it on the fan and it keeps them away. Refills are easy to find at most Walmarts and Target. Bass Pro shop has a little stronger version of repellant but doesn't seem to do much better. But as earlier posted "plain deet works very well."
2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T
Traveling with Westies, Max, Ellie and new addition Sophie.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
American Coach Owners Club
The 'stinger' will probably knock some of those skeeters out but light isn't they're biggest attraction. CO2 is the main attraction but they are attracted by other chemicals we humans produce as well. The experts say that mosquitoes have good eye sight...

IMHO, Deet is about the best defense and I know from experience that Avon's 'Skin So Soft' will repel them very well. Since I quit smoking, I can't stand the smell of the stuff though. I use the deet. Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

Is that why hubby always wants me to sit outside with him...I am skeeter bait??? LOL!!! He tells me that I am much "sweeter" than him....

Faith and I now need to have a heart-to-heart with dear Hubby.....
Faith and Bob, Bitsy the Papillon and Bosco the Chi-weenie....RIP Truffles
2005 Revolution LE - 2008 Honda CRV Toad
Northern Massachusetts and the rest of the Country.
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
We use heavy duty Deet (the strength you are not supposed to use on children) when walking. When just sitting, we have had good success with the Thermacell area devices. To be honest, though, two bites is normally a signal to go inside and enjoy some of the interior entertainment.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
Deet. I did use Cutter Backyard Fogger at a campground in Rockport Texas a couple of years ago, it worked very well. Management did not like it, I did not like the two foot tall grass the skeeters were living in. We moved on to Goose Island State park the next day, much better.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I have been told that lemon juice works.
1999 Trade Winds 7371 Cat 3126B w/current upgrades
1990 D 250 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
We use a house fan that we tag along with us in the RV, That and a little OFF insect repellant seens to do and ok job.
RoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Some time ago my wife read that spraying your skin with a solution of Listerine and water would work to repel mosquitoes. She mixed some up in an empty spray bottle and we began spraying ourselves with it before going out in the evenings. Granted, we haven't been where there are heavy concentrations of the little buggers but so far, it seems to work.
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
A small spray bottle of water mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil is a natural insect deterrent. Won't run them off but they won't bite you! Works great for ticks and fleas too. I use it all the time A lot of people also swear by avons skin so soft products. Worth a try!
2005 TL Industries ELITE special edition 37 ft
2000 DODGE Ram 3500 diesel dually. 10 kids in tow
BLESSED beyond measure!
MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kinda' depends on where you are. If we are out in the country in Texas, I use a 12 ga with # 7 shop. It bring down most of them.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote