Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Most RVers are retired. What impacts will you have with the new healthcare laws?

hello rvers. while i am searching for exchange info to sign up the new health plan through my state exchange, i am wondering how the new laws will impact our traveling. our state exchange does not provide the details how it handles out of state health expenses, and phones/emails to them were gone to the wind. we are on the road all the time, surely we want to be covered when the situation arises. any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

I take it you are not eligible for Medicare?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

no, not eligible for medicaid/medicare :(
Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #4

...a little off topic but I just laid off an employee to cover the huge increase my wife and I are seeing in health care costs. I lost my PPO Caddilac plan I've had for years and my new deductible is 12,500 a year in addition to increases in my premium and my new plan is an HMO.

So my solution....lay off an employee and make the others work harder to compensate for one less employee. I also am not paying an Xmas bonus this year.

[moderator edit]
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Arrow

REMINDER: Political comments are not allowed and will be removed. Please keep comments on topic. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Some things should not be posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
...a little off topic but I just laid off an employee to cover the huge increase my wife and I are seeing in health care costs. I lost my PPO Caddilac plan I've had for years and my new deductible is 12,500 a year in addition to increases in my premium and my new plan is an HMO.

So my solution....lay off an employee and make the others work harder to compensate for one less employee. I also am not paying an Xmas bonus this year.

[moderator edit]
So .....your employee's will suffer(one gone) at the ropes of your declining net profits due to worldly market collapses and governmental changes and rising costs of health care? Merry Christmas to you........
Old 12-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
hello rvers. while i am searching for exchange info to sign up the new health plan through my state exchange, i am wondering how the new laws will impact our traveling. our state exchange does not provide the details how it handles out of state health expenses, and phones/emails to them were gone to the wind. we are on the road all the time, surely we want to be covered when the situation arises. any thoughts?
After 2 1/2 months dealing with the Marketplace web page fiasco, we just received our new insurance cards today. Since we spend half our time up north and half down south we needed a "Multi-state" plan as most plans have a very high or total co-pay for out of network providers. We considered changing our permanent address but found that Florida doesn't offer a Multi-state plan. With the ACA, we saved 50% of the BC/BS Silver, Multi-state premium (+/-1450).

I think you will have the same situation no matter what insurance you purchase and it what state.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Prior discussions centered around healthcare out of network. If traveling and out of your coverage area/network you could bear entire cost of any care. Applies to some plans, not all --so use due diligence...

Looong discussion here. Insurance coverage for pre-Medicare...ACA vs high deductable vs other?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
After 2 1/2 months dealing with the Marketplace web page fiasco, we just received our new insurance cards today. Since we spend half our time up north and half down south we needed a "Multi-state" plan as most plans have a very high or total co-pay for out of network providers. We considered changing our permanent address but found that Florida doesn't offer a Multi-state plan. With the ACA, we saved 50% of the BC/BS Silver, Multi-state premium (+/-1450).

I think you will have the same situation no matter what insurance you purchase and it what state.

Good luck!
that is what i am worrying about... in the past, just dw and i we were paying premium at 13000/y from my own co (company write-off) with 30 copay on dr's visit without expenses ceiling. the plan covers all out of state medical costs. that is grandfathered. i felt it's too high so i was looking at alternative health insurance. by looking at the exchange, i am afraid im not going to save money but spend more...
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Prior discussions centered around healthcare out of network. If traveling and out of your coverage area/network you could bear entire cost of any care. Applies to some plans, not all --so use due diligence...

Looong discussion here. Insurance coverage for pre-Medicare...ACA vs high deductable vs other?
thanks for the link.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
So .....your employee's will suffer(one gone) at the ropes of your declining net profits due to worldly market collapses and governmental changes and rising costs of health care? Merry Christmas to you........
Yes. That's how it works. Lower my taxes and I'll create jobs. Do the opposite and the opposite happens.

Don't worry. He's collecting unemployment.

I'm a business and not a charity.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

[moderator edit]

Prior to 2008 I had right at 100 employees. Today, I have 21 (down from 22). When I make the decision to lay someone off its for the good of the company and other employees. If I didn't make these types of decisions the 21 employees left would all be out of a job too as the doors would close....not to mention my family and I would be out of an income.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No health care worry here. I am Army retired so I have the VA healthcare system, hospitals and clinics all over the USA and it's territories. been using it for years,
Also have the use of Tricare and selecting my own doctors.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Taxs???

Quote:
Yes. That's how it works. Lower my taxes and I'll create jobs. Do the opposite and the opposite happens.

Don't worry. He's collecting unemployment.

I'm a business and not a charity.
Quote:
Thanks Def. Agree x2

Prior to 2008 I had right at 100 employees. Today, I have 21 (down from 22). When I make the decision to lay someone off its for the good of the company and other employees. If I didn't make these types of decisions the 21 employees left would all be out of a job too as the doors would close....not to mention my family and I would be out of an income.
What a relief to know that he will get unemployment.........that ought to carry him for quite some time And maybe buy some National Health care with it.
By the looks of you employee's (numbers) something else is failing other than the tax's you pay? 79 out of 100 gone and you are saying it is because of taxs?