Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Motorhome Business Deduction

I just wanted those of you who have used or are contemplating using a motorhome for business that there is a recent Tax Court case which would have a major impact on that deduction. The case is called Dunford and it's a Tax Court Memo decision. For my fellow tax geeks, it's 2013-189.

The taxpayer used his motorhome while away from his residence as a place to service his clients. He apparently had the proper documentation but the IRS used a very different tactic to eliminate the deduction. They used the "exclusive office use" of a home office to eliminate the deduction. A home office has to be an area used exclusively for business purposes. There was no such designation within the RV so he lost the deduction.

My guess is that he was using the wrong tact to take the deduction, but anyone who is looking to take the deduction currently, or has taken the deduction in the past, now has to be aware that this case can be used by the IRS to eliminate the deduction.

2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Jayco Owners Club
Good information. Thank you wnytaxman.

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They did something like that when I used to be in the Boating community
You can't use it as a deduction anymore.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
The major item that bugs me about this case is the approach that they took which was that the RV was an "office in home" rather than a convenient mode of transportation and way of completing the services their clients required. The IRS took the tact that they were dealing with an office in home deduction rather than a transportation and lodging deduction. When we have come in contact with the potential deduction, we have looked at it as its potential as transportation and lodging rather than office in home. The argument that someone is living there while performing the service is akin to eliminating a hotel room as a deduction because someone is living there. My guess is that the taxpayer was taking the deduction in the wrong place or the interpretation was wrong.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmm! Wonder if a commercial driver's license is needed since it is being used for business. Hmm!
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Hmm! Wonder if a commercial driver's license is needed since it is being used for business. Hmm!
Wayne, that would be a DMV issue not an IRS issue. Certainly if the motorhome was registered in the name of a corporation, then the likelihood of the need for a commercial license would be higher or if the driver was doing it for hire.

2011 Berkshire 390bh
Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
I had a chance to review the case that may torpedo the RV business deduction for some. As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now for the rest of the story." The taxpayers in question had all kinds of bogus deductions on their return and even took their vehicle expenses twice. They only used the RV to go to warmer areas of the US in the winter and the locations just happened to be where their kids lived. Many of their deductions had not verification at all. In other words, they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

I still think that the fact that the IRS won on the issue of the RV being their principal residence for part of the year makes the issue more sticky, but I don't think it eliminates the potential for the deduction in the right set of circumstances.

2011 Berkshire 390bh