Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mount McKinley To Be Renamed

Saw this article at The Japan Times:

Mount McKinley to be renamed Denali, White House announces | The Japan Times
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

Makes sense to me, that is the original name.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 08-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's about time!

Every serious climber and hiker has always called it Denali.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going back to the original name as it should be.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 AM   #5

I agree on the name change....BUT, the name McKinley came after a law was passed in Congress. The Interior Dept. simply wrote a memo changing the name. I guess laws passed by Congress aren't worth the paper they're printed on anymore, especially if some pencil pusher decides on their own that they don't like a particular law and decides to change it. A sign of the times.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #6

While I don't have a huge problem with the mountain be renamed to fit in with its heritage - I am surprised that he didn't find some way to get his own name on the mountain..

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I agree on the name change....BUT, the name McKinley came after a law was passed in Congress. The Interior Dept. simply wrote a memo changing the name. I guess laws passed by Congress aren't worth the paper they're printed on anymore, especially if some pencil pusher decides on their own that they don't like a particular law and decides to change it. A sign of the times.
Apparently in 1917 Congress didn't like the name Mount Denali and took it upon themselves to rename it Mount Mckinley.
How many other mountain names where changed by laws passed by Congress?
Since Ohio is upset maybe congress should rename Campbell Hill, (which at 1,550 ft is the the highest point in Ohio), Mount McKinley.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
While I don't have a huge problem with the mountain be renamed to fit in with its heritage - I am surprised that he didn't find some way to get his own name on the mountain..

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT

LMAO...
Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post

Regards - Randy & Dar
Old 09-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Apparently in 1917 Congress didn't like the name Mount Denali and took it upon themselves to rename it Mount Mckinley.
How many other mountain names where changed by laws passed by Congress?
Since Ohio is upset maybe congress should rename Campbell Hill, (which at 1,550 ft is the the highest point in Ohio), Mount McKinley.
Never was Mount Denali....just Denali.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having lived in Alaska for a couple decades, it's ALWAYS been Denali. Only fitting that it be returned to the name it was/has always been known by in Alaska.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The natives named it Denali many years before Mr McKinley visited the state and thought the mountain should bear his name. At any rate, when I was living there the push to change it back to Denali was on (82-83 time frame). Eventually they changed the name of either the mountain or the park back to Denali. Honestly I think it was the park name that changed. If they are changing the name of the Mountain back to Denali good on them. If people really want McKinley's name on something make the park McKinley and the mountain Denali.

The locals called it Denali when I was there.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Whew, glad there are no more pressing items to be done that they can get this in under the wire !!!

And why do we find out from Japan times or IRV ?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And why do we find out from Japan times or IRV ?
It's been on national network news the past few days, not just the Japan Times and IRV2. Even our little rural newspaper had a few articles on it the past two days.

McKinley never set foot in the state of Alaska. It was (re)named by gold prospectors, and put into legislation by Congress, courtesy of the Ohio delegation. The Congressional delegation from Ohio has fought the name change every time it was proposed.

Perhaps the Alaska delegation will propose renaming Ohio's towering Campbell Hill (1550 feet) to "Mr White Keys Mountain" (Alaskans, especially those from Anchorage, will know who he is) and enshrining it in legislation barring future changes.

HOME

And, McKinley National Park was renamed Denali National Park in 1980.
Closed Thread