Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #1

The wife is ready to retire and we are looking to move to Oregon and base out of there wondering about taxes, housing don't want to be near big city's and would like to be in the county any ideas what part of the state would be best we would love the coast but know we cant afford that
Chuck Linn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #2

The wife is ready to retire and we are looking to move to Oregon and base out of there wondering about taxes, housing don't want to be near big city's and would like to be in the county any ideas what part of the state would be best we would love the coast but know we cant afford that
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Chuck -

I spent the winter on the Oregon Coast - Brookings, Gold Beach, etc.

You may not be able to find some place right on the beach, but the real estate is not that outrageous inland a bit. I have a few friends there that purchased nice 5th wheels or park models in RV parks. There's a LOVELY homey park on the Rogue River in Gold Beach. There are also some park models for sale at several RV parks right on the beach - Turtle Rock RV Park, Whale's Watch in Brookings, etc. Some friends of mine bought a couple acres of land on a hill overlooking Gold Beach and are building a home for about $250k. It takes some looking but you can live there. That's my favorite spot for retiring . . . it's GORGEOUS!! And I didn't mind the rain - it wasn't that bad - and the winters weren't that bad either. Brookings is considered the "Banana Belt" and the weather there is milder than other areas. I think you can do this!! And I envy you! You're moving to paradise in my book! Good luck!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #4

I really like living in Oregon.

The western third of the state or so is often rainy in the fall or spring. On the other side of the cascades it tends to be drier.

Portland, Hood River, Bend, and some areas of the coast have pretty steep housing values.

The eastern half of the state is fairly rural, and the south east part is very lightly populated.

Taxes are about average (no sales tax, property tax vaires by area, and there is a state income tax).

What kind of climate do you want, and what kind of recreational choices do you want?
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #5

Oregon ranks 31st in total tax burden, 30.7% total federal/state tax burden. depending on the climate you want, you might want to consider areas like Saint Helens/Scappoose. lower property taxes, rural yet only a short drive to the metro area.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Chuck -
My wife and I lived in a small RV Park (Cypress Grove) in Gold Hill, OR. for almost 2 years. Gold Hill is a very small town just north of Medford, OR., in the Rogue Valley of extreme southern Oregon. The park was nothing to brag about, but south-western Oregon is beautiful, especially the Rogue River, and if it weren't for the fact that we couldn't get our house sold here in TX, we would still be out there. I was raised in northern California, so I'm a bit prejudiced about that area of the country. I happen to think it's some of the most beautiful country in the USA. Prices out there, while we were there, were on the high side because the housing industry was tanking and homes were VERY costly, but prices are coming down. If you are looking for a rural lifestyle and a scenic area, you can't go wrong with Jackson county. Good luck.
Bill-Sharon-Bella(Our Beagle) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
If yer looking to stay out of taxes, avoid the following counties:

Washington, Multnomah, Clackamas, Marion, Polk, Linn, Benton, Douglas, Josphine, Jackson, Hood River, Lane, Coos, and Lincoln.

The first three are some of the worst, including not only having the federal income tax, state income tax, there's also the local county income tax.

Also, they have some of the widest amounts of stupid laws around, followed by Linn-Benton, Jackson and Douglas. (Where the towns of Ashland, Medford, Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Eugene, Springfield reside)

Oh, and don't forget, the following counties also require you to have your vehicles in for a DEQ inspection whenever you want to renew your registration:

Washington, Multnomah, Clackamas, Douglas, Josphine, Jackson (Not certain if its the whole county on Douglas, I just know its the ashland/medford area).

I currently reside in Washington County, but all my registration info is for marion county (No DEQ reqd). Just as well, the exhaust on the truck is falling apart and rebuild it from the manifolds back is going to be spendy, so no real hurry.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #8

My sister is in the Portland area and the property taxes are very high. Her overall taxes are comperable to CA which she moved away from but she was able to buy more house for the money than she could in the Bay Area.

Since their jobs were mobile I thought they should have looked at Vancouver, WA that has lower property taxes and then shopped in Portland for the no sales tax !
Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:
Washington, Multnomah, Clackamas, Marion, Polk, Linn, Benton, Douglas, Josphine, Jackson, Hood River, Lane, Coos, and Lincoln.

Also, they have some of the widest amounts of stupid laws around, followed by Linn-Benton, Jackson and Douglas. (Where the towns of Ashland, Medford, Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Eugene, Springfield reside)...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>McKenzie is wrong in that Eugene & Springfield are in Lane county.

The Banana Belt goes up the coast from the California border and into Florence. Sacs and I used the "Sunset Garden Book" to check the climate for each area before we bought our property in Florence. I would first check the climate for the areas to help narrow your regions.

I love Oregon. There is so much natural beauty here..but I can also tell you that it does take them forever to complete road work. (I have been where I am now for over 11 months..and they started construction six months before I moved there...it still is not done..and I would say it is maybe a mile long area)

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #10

Do you mean to tell me that a county that is my namesake is a high tax county oh the horror, oh the shame
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joseph C. McKenzie:

Also, they have some of the widest amounts of stupid laws around, followed by Linn-Benton, Jackson and Douglas. (Where the towns of Ashland, Medford, Portland, Hillsboro, Beaverton, Eugene, Springfield reside)...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>McKenzie is wrong in that Eugene & Springfield are in Lane county.

The Banana Belt goes up the coast from the California border and into Florence. Sacs and I used the "Sunset Garden Book" to check the climate for each area before we bought our property in Florence. I would first check the climate for the areas to help narrow your regions.

I love Oregon. There is so much natural beauty here..but I can also tell you that it does take them forever to complete road work. (I have been where I am now for over 11 months..and they started construction six months before I moved there...it still is not done..and I would say it is maybe a mile long area)

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its the L's. I always reverse Linn and Lane counties.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #12

If ;you like the rain, then consider the coast or the Williamette Valley. Now if you want more sunshine then consider Central Oregon. We live in Redmond on the East side of the Cascade range. Nice and warm in the summer, but cold in the winter. We haven't had measureable snow for the past 3 years, but we've had butt deep snow a time or two. The summer temperatures can range 50 degrees in a day. 50 for a low and 100 for a high. Air conditioning isn't need for sleeping during the summer, but is nice to have for the daytime temps.
We were considering the Florence, Or area as a possible relocate site but the summers aren't warm enough for my blood. We both love the beach area, but not well enough to relocate there.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norton:
If you like the rain, then consider the coast or the Williamette Valley. Now if you want more sunshine then consider Central Oregon. We live in Redmond on the East side of the Cascade range. Nice and warm in the summer, but cold in the winter. We haven't had measureable snow for the past 3 years, but we've had butt deep snow a time or two. The summer temperatures can range 50 degrees in a day. 50 for a low and 100 for a high....We were considering the Florence, Or area as a possible relocate site but the summers aren't warm enough for my blood... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>[b]I know Sacs and I are looking forward to the temperatures of Florence in the future...but in the meantime..here is a picture of the snow that we got in Eugene this year!

It did measure 8" the last time I had measured it..with more snow following that!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">here is a picture of the snow that we got in Eugene this year! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MM,

That's pretty, it would make a nice cover for a Christmas card.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote