Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Murphy strikes again

Well I don't think that this was an actual nightmare, but it was sure aggravating. We are trying to get headed out on our trip to Montana today and stopped to pick up a U-Haul trailer. All the lights worked, but we had no stop lights on the trailer. Turns out the 87 Southwind is a 5 wire setup and the trailer is a 4 wire system. No biggie, just need to wire in a converter. So here we are, in a grocery store parking lot, and only a few clouds in the area. Fifteen minutes into a 45 min. project it starts pouring buckets of rain. We are on the low end of the parking lot so all the water is running our way. 1.5 hours later I have the converter installed, lights are all working, we are both soaking wet and the rain stops. What started out as a simple u-haul trailer pickup turned into a six hour fiasco.

So tomorrow we get to do everything we had planned for today so, God willing, we will be on the road by early evening. In retrospect, it is very funny, but at the time is was not.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
On the bright side, day 2 will be better than day 1.
Safe travels!!

mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That Murphy shows up at strange times. Hope day 2 is all good.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #4

Just think--won't have to dump gray tank tonight. Already had you showers- good luck on your trip.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Did U-Haul not wire it for you when you rented?

Many, many years ago we wired every rental before it hit the road.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And remembrer, Murphy is an optimist.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on perservering through the deluge to fix the problem. I am going to predict that the rest of the trip will be sunny with fair winds for you. Enjoy yourselves.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #8

sorry to hear about your troubles. But good old Murphy will always show up at the worst time. I hope the rest of your trip is trouble free. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Murphy strikes again day 3.

Day 2 went very well, thank you all for the good wishes. At the end of Day 3 my brakes go spongy, the brake lite comes on and we limp into Kellogg, IA. Got the number of a mobile mechanic so hopefully he will be able to get to us tomorrow, but probably not till Monday. Anyway here we sit in a Good Sam trailer park going no where fast Ain't life grand!!! We are safe that is what matters.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #10

Russell:

We also have an '03 Sedona, but we didn't turn ito a toad because we figured it would be over the 5000 pound hitch limit of our Georgetoen by the time we'd added aux brakes, the four-down towing gear and a transmission lube system. The $3500 price tag caused eyes to water also.

We managed for four seasons without a toad, since we usually do all our sightseeing on the way from one overnight stop to the next. We often do less than 75 miles some days.

Unfortunately, the escalating cost of the lifestyle has finally run us off. We started out when gas was $1.75 and State Park fees were $10- $15 a night. With gas up around $4.00 and CG fees headed up above $50 at private facilities and near $30 at SP's, we just can't afford it any longer.

MH will be up for sale very soon and will include all the on-board gear, for an appropriate price, if the buyers are newbies.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Frank & Ellen,

I understand your dilemma, fixed income, no increases, everything rising in cost faster than a Saturn rocket makes traveling expensive. We are new to 3/4 timing, dw wanted a place to call home so we got a small 12x60 mobile home, and just continually getting down the highway is expensive. We are trying to get to Montana and so it is $150 to 250 a pop for gas. This is an unusual push for what we were planning, but my dad is 92 and I want to see him.

As for the toad, it is pushing the limit, but we had no problem on out test run. We bought a used tow dolly for $700 with electric brakes. We are pulling a trailer this trip so no toad.

This is our first mh, but with the 2 tts we had, I am 95% certain that an S&B will prove more expensive to live in than an RV ever will, just need to change the mind set, stop in one place for a month and settle in. Taxes alone on a house will be $250 a month, plus all the upkeep, repairs (my dad had to put in new sewer and water lines plus have the roof replaced, he dropped over $10,000 in getting that done, and now the HVAC needs replacing, another $8000. Except for the heavy mechanics of the chassis, I can do all my own work on our mh and even with all the work I had done in having the fuel system cleaned and fixed, we are no where near what my dad has done in repairs. Oh, and don't forget the original cost of the house, not sure, but I think the median price is now $250,000. Your rig is paid for, I am guessing, that kind of money in an S&B will go a long way to keeping you on the road with some minor adjustments to expectations.

Just some food for thought.

Russ
Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We snowbird in Yuma. Full years lot is 2400 + electric. Unit under trees so heat and AC is low during winter season. Summer everyone moves north for about 4 months.

Never have nothing to do so all in costs are really reasonable.