Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My Biggest Mistake (non RV)

So at the beginning of 2013 I found a job that would work around my VA disabilities. Packed my wife and new high school freshman up and moved from Idaho to Denver.

Fast forward - senior this year. Planning for college. College tuition in Colorado is stupidly high!

Now I can't get him into Idaho college on resident status �� Given how much I made in Colorado I would have been better off staying a bum in Idaho to get in state tuition.

We were waiting for him to go to college to start an RV lifestyle. Now it is pay first year of college and no RV or finance an RV and help him through college.

100% disabled vet and no help in Colorado for education that I can find.

Ugh what a loser I am - doomed my kid and us to terrible student loan debt for a stupid mistake! May impact my ability to get my RV too (secondary or tertiary or way down on the list concern for sure).

Got my oldest two through college almost so that is good! Maybe they'll pitch in ��������

Just a thought issue for anyone else thinking of this and having a high schooler around. If you have a state college in mind - move there before the kid graduates. Establish in state residency - it will save you money!

Jim Jones

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #2

Having put two through all ready and now having twins in college you should qualify for more assistance than you might be aware of. Depending on what your senior is going to major in you might want to start looking at having him do two years at a local community college to get a lot of his gen ed classes out of the way. Also hit the internet hard for scholarships available for your child. You would be amazed at how much is out there that you may qualify for. Contact the financial aid offices for every school which may interest your child.

One of the schools that one of my twins applied to and got accepted at was the Colorado School of Mines. It is a fabulous engineering school and they offered a very nice aid package and we do not live in Colorado but in NY. It was only slightly more expensive for her to go to school at Mines than it would have been here in a NY State school.

If you have not contacted a good financial aid person to help you with your scholarship search then I would suggest you contact the high school's guidance office for someone they may recommend. A good college planner is worth their weight in gold or maybe I should say in tuition assistance.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. It is a little early to apply for scholarships. My son wants to go to the university of Wyoming as they are supposed to be starting a program to focus on cyber security

My post was really more about letting others know how a mistake can really be expensive. Had we stayed in Idaho - yearly tuition for in state residents is about half of that in Colorado.

If anyone has a teen - find out what school they want to go to and move there so they graduate from that states high school system - helps with tuition costs later. Doesn't help with private schools though

Also, I have seen this posted in other places but it doesn't hurt to repost now and then - 100% permanently and totally disabled veterans can get their student loans discharged. Not spouses or children but still a great thing for our country to do for veterans!

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. It is a little early to apply for scholarships. My son wants to go to the university of Wyoming as they are supposed to be starting a program to focus on cyber security

My post was really more about letting others know how a mistake can really be expensive. Had we stayed in Idaho - yearly tuition for in state residents is about half of that in Colorado.

If anyone has a teen - find out what school they want to go to and move there so they graduate from that states high school system - helps with tuition costs later. Doesn't help with private schools though

Also, I have seen this posted in other places but it doesn't hurt to repost now and then - 100% permanently and totally disabled veterans can get their student loans discharged. Not spouses or children but still a great thing for our country to do for veterans!

Thanks
Jim
Jim, don't rule out the private schools. The private schools are like the airlines, they have to put fannies in the seats. Picking a college is like buying an RV......no one pays sticker price. Shop the privates as well as the public schools. You will be surprised at what may be available. By the way, there's a good school for cyber security in Tiffin, Ohio, if that's his primary interest. Long haul for you, but a nice area.

It really is not too early to be working on scholarships. To be honest with you, you may even be a bit late to be working on them. Contact every financial aid office in every school that interests him. Savings are there if you want to put in the legwork.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Enroll your son in community college and work part time to help out....

He could also serve our country for a couple of years and EARN some college money

I made sure my kids did not ruin spoil or postpone my retirement
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

1) YOU ARE NOT A LOSER for trying to better your self. You made an error in planning, well, welcome to the human race. Take a breath.....and start again. Best of luck.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #7

Thanks

Thank you

I've been looking at scholarships. Since my son won't start college until next year most have submission dates starting in January. I am doing a lot of leg work now - hoping to get a list of schools that will meet his goals. Also having him do a lot of work on this as well.

Unfortunately, he was born deaf - gained the ability to hear after years of treatment, but his hearing is going south - just glad he had the ability to hear long enough to talk etc... He's taken 4 years of sign language though I don't think he really learned it

That leaves him out for military service which he is pretty upset about. He wants to go argue with government - he does pretty well with hearing aids so far and feels it is no different than other assistive devices like eye glasses. The MEPS station didn't want to talk to him about it!

Said he'd rather have a hard of hearing person in the foxhole next to him than someone who can't see when they lost their glasses

I am pretty bummed out over all this. In the end it will work out though. We will put in all the effort and what comes - comes.

I have the ability to let things tie up my head with negativity but seem to always snap out pretty quick.

Thanks for all the encouragement and help.
Jim
Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As a 50% disabled veteran now (and awaiting approval for another 40% now)I can say with some certainty that you are you are FAR from being a loser. You have done your Country Proud, and for that alone I give you the utmost credit.
As said, stop and take a deep breath, regroup. Head forward in your mission with a clear mind I have put 3 through college and one through two years. I made my share of errors also. But that is water over the dam. Head up and onward, do the best you can, and all will be OK.
Best of luck to you my Brother.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Thank you 99

Thank you for your kind words - you all of the Vietnam era really paved the way for us in respect and benefits. THANK YOU for your service and from one vet to another - welcome home!

I can't imagine going through what you all did and come home to the spitters and flag burners (not political moderators just fact). Our treatment has been so much better and it should not have been that way!

Jim
Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #10

I'll give you some free advise based on just having paid for 9 years of college for my two kids. Steer clear of private colleges, at least for the first 2 years. They are more expensive and some of the classes will likely not transfer to a state institution. The state community college is the best deal going, even though neither of my kids would let me talk them into it. My son just finished up last year and had the Ga. Hope Scholarship which paid 90% of tuition. It still cost me about $15,000 a year for fees, housing, food, books, and other expenses. I'm now the proud father of a high school english teacher and a 2nd Lt. in the USAF. College is expensive but it pays off over a life time. I'd highly recommend talking to someone in your area who has a kid already in college. They can warn you of expensive pitfalls and things to avoid.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

If you qualified for Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits, they may be transferable to your dependent children.

Each branch of service has different rules for transferring. Might check that out. Also, 100% disabled may have certain rules for eligibility.

If they qualify, check our Colorado State U. They offer full coverage of tuition for GI Bill eligibles.

Vets Get Full-Ride at CSU | Military.com
Old 09-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #12

Thanks - I think we might be able to get him into Idaho State as both my wife and I are alumni. He wants University of Wyoming which is high for non-residents. At least his first year will be. Will probably move there and buy a motor home for him to live in (and give us a home base for summers) second year should qualify him as a resident. Also thought of moving there, putting him to work for a year while we travel and have him start a year out of school. I don't know what the deal is - why start school right out of high school. I see no benefit to it.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #13

My son went to a private university with a great scholarship and my daughter went to a local community college with a scholarship for two years (which made it free) and transferred to CSU with 100% credit transfer. The cost difference was pretty big though. Each state has different veterans benefits but they can answer/solve a lot of problems on paying for kids college.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
If you qualified for Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits, they may be transferable to your dependent children.

Each branch of service has different rules for transferring. Might check that out. Also, 100% disabled may have certain rules for eligibility.

If they qualify, check our Colorado State U. They offer full coverage of tuition for GI Bill eligibles.

Vets Get Full-Ride at CSU | Military.com
thanks CJ - I am looking into this now. Looks like the author of that article may have gotten some things wrong.

But as an update, I found out he can go to Idaho State on resident tuition rates. Scholarship and grant searches are on!