Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
My boat is trying to kill me

MY NEW PORTA BOTE

I was lookin' on Craigs List for one of them ''blue boy'' poop haulers 'cause we are goin to Florida and we will be stayin at a campground that dont have sewer hook up. I looked on Craigs list and found one down close to St Augustine for 80 dollars. It was new in the box and it would haul 30 gallons. I called the guy and bought it over the phone.

While on Craigs list I got to just lookin around and I found a 12 foot Porta Bote, with new troaling motor, new swivle seats and two ''oars'' and a bag to put the seats into for 800 dollars. WOW... a new prota boat that size costs over $1800.oo without all the extra stuff. I called the guy and confirmed the deal . He told me the boat had been assembled one time and never used. I bought the boat. I already had a Porta Bote but I could not resist a bargin. I found a 6 hp Suzuki motor with 10 hours on it for 600.oo dollars and bought it also.. It should be known that I already have a Porta Bote with a 5 hp nissan that I bought new about 15 years ago. I figure I can sell my ''old boat'' and recoup most of my money and have a ''new boat''

All went well. I stopped and picked up all my ''stuff'' and came down here to Long Point. I unloaded the ''New Boat'', put it together and slid it into the water. I put the motor on it and the tank, got out the trolling motor and my battery and put that in the boat. I got everything ready for the ''maiden voyage''. While assembling the boat I noticed that the floor was very slick in the boat. Probably something in the production of the plastic that made it real slick.
Anyhow, I slid the boat into the water and out in about 3 feet of water and decided to ''get in'' on the side of the boat. Now I know you guys have seen some dummy try to get into a boat and he got one foot inside the boat and one foot in the water and the boat kinda floats away and he does the split and falls in the water. I stepped into the slick bottom of the boat with my wet left foot and my right foot in about three feet of water and my left foot slid under one of the seats and the boat floated away from me. I literally fell in slow motion. The water was a ''balmy'' 51 degrees and I submerged till my glasses and the tip of my Tilly Hat were still viable. I will not try to print some of the words I said while underwater but ''Shux'' was not one of them. As I lay there wallowing like a hog I realized that I had my wallet in my hip pocket and my new Blackberry Phone in a case on my suspenders. I finally regained my footing and crawled out of the bay with the boat slowly floating away. Willa saw the whole thing and yelled out the window ''Have you fallen in hun?''..............(i heard a giggle)
''No darling, I remembered it has been two hours since my shower and I decided to TAKE ANOTHER ONE. GET ME SOME FLAMIN DRY CLOTHES, DEAR''
The next day I decided to use the ''New Boat'' again and I mounted the ''clamp on, swivel seats'' on the bench seat in the boat. They work by clamping a devise to the bench seats already in the boat. I clamped them on and tested mine and it really felt nice. It would swivel around and they are covered with vinyl and are nice and soft. Great......... I pushed the boat out from shore, got in carefully, and ''swiveled my seat sideways'' so I could start the motor. In the process I discovered that the ''seat'' was a bit too close to the center of the bench seat so I decided that I should be able to ''scoot'' it over about an inch and it should be fine. As I ''scooted'' the seat it came lose from the bench seat and turned over backwards dumping my sorry butt half way out of the boat. My head, shoulders, arms and half my back was in the water and my fanny, legs and feet were still in the boat with the swivel seat laying on its back on the bench seat. I was trapped and in the process, the boat was slowly filling with water because my weight was pushing down on the back corner. Again I wallowed around like a hog in the mud with no progress toward setting back up. I finally rolled out of the boat and into the bay again. Guess what........
''Did you fall out of the boat again hun?''...(quiet giggle again)
''No dear, I lost my comb and I was diving for that dear''..........
Would you believe how easy it is to dry out a Blackberry phone with a hair dryer? I have decided to carry my wallet in a baggie with water inside so it will never get really dry again.

FOR SALE. One almost new Porta Boat with an almost new 6 hp motor, with swivel seats, a new trolling motor, two oars and a ''tote bag'' for the seats...... REAL CHEAP, that is trying to drown me......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #2

SeaJay LOL You need to go see a Boatsains Mate on proper boat handling procedures.

"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
OMG... you make coffee come outta my nose...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
And all this time I thought you were an experienced "sailor man"...........
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
MY NEW PORTA BOTE

FOR SALE. One almost new Porta Boat with an almost new 6 hp motor, with swivel seats, a new trolling motor, two oars and a ''tote bag'' for the seats...... REAL CHEAP, that is trying to drown me......
I'll give you ten cents for it.
J
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #6

Tell us one more time Seajay, HOW MUCH TIME you spent in the Navy?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with everything that has been said or is going to be said, and then some!

Sailor! Humph!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

Was that the US Navy ?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm a former Jolly Green Giant Helicopter Air/Sea Rescue guy. I still have contacts with the Jolly Green Giants so if you will tell me when you plan to use that boat again, I'll see if they can be in the same area when you try!!!! Go Air Force!!!!
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

And now you can put on your resume were a brown water sailor too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok all you ''SMART ALEX'' The ship I was on in the navy was a little over 650 feet long and 54 feet at the ''beam''. (widest point) and the decks were not very slick and the ''seats '' were all bolted down securely.

I am flattered by all the ''snart'' advice ''generous offers'' and the helpful hints from the ''peanut gallery'' .... I have resolved the problems in good old Navy manner...
One. I deliberately grounded the boat on shore and pitched in two shovels of sand in the bottom of the boat and got in and did the ''Great Lakes Shuffle'' in the bottom of the boat to ''rough up'' the mirror finish on the bottom of the boat. This took the ''glaze'' and the processing lube off the bottom and now my feet stick to it very nicely when I board over the side. No problems now.
Two. I got out my ratchet from my trusty tool kit in typical Navy fashion I stood on my head in the boat and tightened the ''Heck'' out of the 'seat clamp bolts' that hold the swivel seat to the bench seat. I further went underneath and took ski rope and ''cross hatched'' the bottom of the attachment rails to the bench seat. All secured with good Navy knots and the seat is now one of the strongest things on the boat.
I installed my fishing rod holders, my trolling motor and battery, all my fishing stuff like tackle boxes, pliers, hook removers, six gallons of gasoline with oil, a tow rope (for pulling lost soldiers and marines and Airmen) off sand bars, mud flats and out of trees and stuff, my fire extinguisher, one small cooler, Willas swivel seat (very secure like mine), one bow rope for securing boat at nite, one anchor with line attached and a ''bailing bucket'' to throw out rain water.
All was ready, All was ''SHIP SHAPE'' and in good Navy order and last nite S.weet O.ld B.oy stole my new boat...............

God bless our troops and keep them safe .....
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Ok all you ''SMART ALEX'' The ship I was on in the navy was a little over 650 feet long and 54 feet at the ''beam''. (widest point) and the decks were not very slick and the ''seats '' were all bolted down securely.

I am flattered by all the ''snart'' advice ''generous offers'' and the helpful hints from the ''peanut gallery'' .... I have resolved the problems in good old Navy manner...
One. I deliberately grounded the boat on shore and pitched in two shovels of sand in the bottom of the boat and got in and did the ''Great Lakes Shuffle'' in the bottom of the boat to ''rough up'' the mirror finish on the bottom of the boat. This took the ''glaze'' and the processing lube off the bottom and now my feet stick to it very nicely when I board over the side. No problems now.
Two. I got out my ratchet from my trusty tool kit in typical Navy fashion I stood on my head in the boat and tightened the ''Heck'' out of the 'seat clamp bolts' that hold the swivel seat to the bench seat. I further went underneath and took ski rope and ''cross hatched'' the bottom of the attachment rails to the bench seat. All secured with good Navy knots and the seat is now one of the strongest things on the boat.
I installed my fishing rod holders, my trolling motor and battery, all my fishing stuff like tackle boxes, pliers, hook removers, six gallons of gasoline with oil, a tow rope (for pulling lost soldiers and marines and Airmen) off sand bars, mud flats and out of trees and stuff, my fire extinguisher, one small cooler, Willas swivel seat (very secure like mine), one bow rope for securing boat at nite, one anchor with line attached and a ''bailing bucket'' to throw out rain water.
All was ready, All was ''SHIP SHAPE'' and in good Navy order and last nite S.weet O.ld B.oy stole my new boat...............

God bless our troops and keep them safe .....
Fifty cents?
J
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I would have skuttled er' after the second mishap. The S.O.B. that stole it probably prevented you from drowning! LOL
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So how much DID Willa have to pay that guy that took it?

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote