Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

My car blew up

I'm throwing this out there to get some ideas on what to do with a really nice car with a blown engine. Yesterday on my way to work, the engine locked up on my 2006 Chrysler Sebring convertible. No warning, no lights, just bam and she's locked. Found it two quarts low on oil and not sure where that went. Never got a low oil warning light or any indication of overheating.

Anyway, I know the engine is toast. Now the question remains what to do with the car? It's REALLY clean, garage kept since it was 1 year old. 123,000 miles on the drivetrain and everything works (AC, cruise, electric top). It has new tires, battery and the cloth top is in perfect condition. Also, it has a Sirius radio that Sirius doesn't seem to know about. It's worked from the day I've bought this and I've never paid a subscription fee.

I am not going to repair the car. It's going to need a new motor and I don't have the time or the place to install one. To have one installed by a shop is going to cost upwards of $4 grand. I guess someone could find a used engine somewhere and have that installed, but I'm just going to move on to a newer car.

So, now what? Craiglist? It's in my garage now awaiting some sort of disposition. The sum of the parts if I parted it out are probably worth more than the hulk as it sits, but I don't have the time or space to part it out. I'll not just sell it for scrap. Maybe yard art?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Might consider donating it to a charity, or often times your local high school or community college can take it on as a student project. Really is a neat car and worth restoring, just a matter of time and money.

Might get a few hits off of Craigslist just be careful, lots of scammers.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 2005 Sebring 4 door and it was closest to the biggest POS we have ever owned. It would not stay out of the shop. We unloaded the turkey at 55,000 miles.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

VoEd Schools, High Schools ( if they still teach that sort of thing )
Most donations want the vehicle in running order.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, it's not worth much without an engine. So with that being said, where did you have it serviced? At the dealership or at a trusted small garage? Ask anyone there if they would be interested in it. Then be careful with Craigslist, you never know who you may invite to see where you live. I have sold cars off of Craigslist, but with caution. Take good pics of the vehicle and in the description tell them it needs an engine.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
If you need / want the tax deduction, I'd go with donating it to charity such as the kidney foundation. Craigslist if you want the cash.

Donating it spares you the hassle of dealing with people who want it for $100 or want to make payments to you.

Good luck.
Vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
If you run a Google search on "who buys junk cars", you'll find a lot of listings for possible buyers.

Ken, your Chrysler sounds like our 1983 Mercury Sable. I managed to unload it at 48,000 miles.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I did a quick look up at NADA without knowing what options and figured the average trade to be around $2000 to $2500. An engine job will be that much. Unless you are really in love with it I would either Craigslist and see what you can get, part it out or as said charity.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I'm throwing this out there to get some ideas on what to do with a really nice car with a blown engine. Yesterday on my way to work, the engine locked up on my 2006 Chrysler Sebring convertible. No warning, no lights, just bam and she's locked. Found it two quarts low on oil and not sure where that went. Never got a low oil warning light or any indication of overheating.

Anyway, I know the engine is toast. Now the question remains what to do with the car? It's REALLY clean, garage kept since it was 1 year old. 123,000 miles on the drivetrain and everything works (AC, cruise, electric top). It has new tires, battery and the cloth top is in perfect condition. Also, it has a Sirius radio that Sirius doesn't seem to know about. It's worked from the day I've bought this and I've never paid a subscription fee.

I am not going to repair the car. It's going to need a new motor and I don't have the time or the place to install one. To have one installed by a shop is going to cost upwards of $4 grand. I guess someone could find a used engine somewhere and have that installed, but I'm just going to move on to a newer car.

So, now what? Craiglist? It's in my garage now awaiting some sort of disposition. The sum of the parts if I parted it out are probably worth more than the hulk as it sits, but I don't have the time or space to part it out. I'll not just sell it for scrap. Maybe yard art?
In our area the car (if running ok), because of fairly high mileage, has a private party selling price of around $2500 - $3000. Sounds like you can't break even with a new motor.

Scrap it or part out the big stuff until you get to scrap value ...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
If you had a motor, what do you think it would cost to re: and re:? I was thinking you could pick up a car with the same motor for say $1000.00, and get the motor switched out.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
  • Worth maybe $500.00 on Craigslist.
  • Donate and get a tax deduction of maybe a few hundred dollars real value.
  • Sign the title, leave it on the seat, walk away.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

I think I'm going to drag it to the driveway and get some good pics, then throw it up on Craigslist and see what happens. If I don't get some fairly quick interest, I'll donate it.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post

Mark, you could also post it on E-Bay. If the body is clean and the interior is clean, E-Bay gets you a national audience easier than C-List. Put a 500.00 minimum on it and see where it lands. If the right guy sees the car that has a used motor to install just might bid it up to 1,000.00, you'll never know unless you try.

If money is not an issue, donate it or call a local parts shop/junk yard. A car like that in good shape is worth at least 500 just in parts alone.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I feel your pain.

Last weekend my 2007 Ford Explorer blew out the plastic thermostat housing they use... dumped all the coolant... and by the time we got off the freeway the engine was running rough and finally.... quit.

I'm in the same position. Looking for a new car and trying to figure out if I should donate, sell as is, or look for someone to install a new/used motor so I can get a decent trade in.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote